What's new

Layering Colognes on top of Aftershaves

I use to when the two would complement each other. Thing is though I quit using AS a few years ago since I felt it didn't bring anything worthy to the table for me.

My go-to is as such (for the warmer months anyhow). It's citrus AF, with a touch of vetiver around the edges.

IMG_0255.jpg

I try to keep my AS/ASB/EdC/P/T with the same fragrance. However, if I'm using say Gillette Cool Wave or Aqua Velva Ice Blue I'll go ahead and use a EdC that doesn't match.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
It is not something that I do. I like to have a nice scent so I use one or the other. I have never been able to match scents properly so I don’t do this as the two scents never seem to work. I do sometimes use Nivea Balm and then use a Nivea Lotion afterwards.

I do it all the time. Most aftershave scents are so short lived that I'll also wear cologne if I want a scent that will last further into my day. I don't really concern myself with the "compatibility" of the scents either. Once I spray the cologne on, it overpowers and takes over most aftershaves. On the days I wear aftershave only, I'll often reapply at other times in the day.

I do it all the time. Most aftershave scents are so short lived that I'll also wear cologne if I want a scent that will last further into my day. I don't really concern myself with the "compatibility" of the scents either. Once I spray the cologne on, it overpowers and takes over most aftershaves. On the days I wear aftershave only, I'll often reapply at other times in the day.

^This. I’ll either wear a fragrance that matches my AS (eg, YSL Rive Gauche and Fine AB, Terre d’Hermes and Fine L’Orange Noir, Creed Aventus or Silver Mountain Water and Stirling Executive Man or Mountain Man, ADP Colonia and Fine Italian Citrus).....or, I’m wearing an AS whose scent is very light and short-lived like Speick or Proraso Green, which is quickly overpowered by whatever fragrance I’m wearing.

I always pair aftershave and fragrance, but only by being mindful of matching notes and scent genre.

For example, Soap Commander Honor matches closely with Guerlain Héritage (EdT and EdP) and Jacques Bogart Pour Homme (2004); Soap Commander Endurance (vintage Old Spice clone) goes great with Caron Third Man, Guerlain Habit Rouge EdP, and Boucheron Jaïpur Homme EdP.

I layer occasionally. Some of my favorites are:
Gillette Cool Wave and Sung pour l'homme
AV Ice Sport and Davidoff Cool Water
Proraso Red and Proraso Wood and Spice

^This. I’ll either wear a fragrance that matches my AS (eg, YSL Rive Gauche and Fine AB, Terre d’Hermes and Fine L’Orange Noir, Creed Aventus or Silver Mountain Water and Stirling Executive Man or Mountain Man, ADP Colonia and Fine Italian Citrus).....or, I’m wearing an AS whose scent is very light and short-lived like Speick or Proraso Green, which is quickly overpowered by whatever fragrance I’m wearing.
Same here.

I would be curious to know if anyone has layered fine Clean vetiver with tom ford grey vetiver
Close......I follow Fine Fresh Vetiver with TF Grey Vetiver.

To expound on this, Fine‘s Clean Vetiver is now sold as Green Vetiver and is inspired by the fragrance, Guerlain Vetiver. It’s the Fresh Vetiver AS that is inspired by TF Grey Vetiver, which is why I said that I layer those two. I find the two scents to be a very close match. I’ve never smelled the Green Vetiver or the Guerlain Vetiver, though I know the latter is considered a classic.

On days I use TOBS Eton College or St. James Collection cream I will usually layer the AS with the corresponding cologne. I go a bit lighter on it and it never feels overpowering or in anyway congruent. I have a couple other AS that i use on their own (Proraso), but if another cream without a corresponding AS I usually just go to the cologne on top of my witch hazel/moisturizer.

Top Bottom