What's new

Layering aftershaves with complementary fragrances

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I'm not talking about layering an aftershave and EdT of the same product. Rather, let's consider the colognes, EdTs, or parfums that complement popular aftershave. Here are a few:
-Skin Bracer or Barbasol Brisk followed by Caron Pour un Homme. The lavender shines...
-Proraso green followed by Acqu di Parma Colonia Club. A minty eucalyptus delight.
-Floid Amber or Vigoroso followed by Guerlain Heritage. I've also enjoyed chasing Floid with Guerlain Habit Rouge. Delightful!
There are others but those few pop out at me immediately. How about you?

Mamabear's Ye Olde Barbershop pairs brilliantly with vintage Avon Brisk aftershave!

I also get a nice pairing of Tabac with Soap Commander's Endurance balm.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
:thumbup1: I'll throw the cooling effect of PAA "Cane" - a peppermint schnapps kind of thing - on top of a fougere or floral.

"Frozen Veg" was an old recipe I used - Osage Rub mixed with Lilac Vegetal (simply in an attempt to make the Veg palatable.)

But that's the idea; a cooling AS on top of a pleasant scent.

AA

Gillette Cool Wave and Sung pour homme EdT
Clubman and Canoe
Modern Old Spice and Paul Sebastian Fine
Aqua Velva Ice Sport and Davidoff Cool Water
Aqua Velva Ice Blue and Azzaro

Owen Bawn

Right on about Aqua Velva and CW. How about Canadian green Aqua Velva Original Sport followed by Sung Homme, Irisch Moos EdT, or better yet, Patrick by Frags of Ireland? Irisch Moos splash followed by Patrick is another winner.

I am sure that those combos would be great! It is getting harder to get Original Sport in my neck of the woods (splashes in general are getting less and less). Another good one I forgot to mention is Proraso red followed by Proraso Wood and Spice cologne, great combo for winter.

I will try Proraso Green with Colonia Club, sounds like a great combo.

I generally don’t try to overthink matching fragrances with aftershaves unless the aftershave is very strong (and most of mine fade quickly). I will try to use a barbershop type fragrance when I use a barbershop scented AS though.

Also, Aqua Velva Ice Sport goes with pretty much any ”blue” fragrance IME. Cool Water, Bleu de Chanel, etc.

It’s great to see you posting @Owen Bawn !!!

I like Noble Otter Rawr followed with Gucci Mémoire d’Une Odeur EdP. Together they make a really pleasant and calming, light herbal/floral scent. It’s also quite a unique blend since they are both unusual fragrances. This was my discovery of a covid-masked summer when I could wear a mask and smell my own face for the next day. I was really pleased to wear a mask when I used these scents.

Owen Bawn

I will try Proraso Green with Colonia Club, sounds like a great combo.

I generally don’t try to overthink matching fragrances with aftershaves unless the aftershave is very strong (and most of mine fade quickly). I will try to use a barbershop type fragrance when I use a barbershop scented AS though.

Also, Aqua Velva Ice Sport goes with pretty much any ”blue” fragrance IME. Cool Water, Bleu de Chanel, etc.

It’s great to see you posting @Owen Bawn !!!
I would have been here 3 months ago if you had just paid the bloody ransom!

This is a subject that I am becoming more interested in. Ill be watching for everyone's suggestions.

So far my favorite combo that I've found is Wholly Kaw Timmermann Classic 1869 with Tom Ford Oud Wood. A marvelous combination.

I am also thinking of trying Knize Ten over Ethos Mandarino Fumo, I missed an opportunity this morning but can still smell a bit of the Knize ten on my wrist from last night. I think the leather over Tobacco will pair nicely.

I like to pair Old Spice with any scent that is floral or Vanilla/benzoin.

Clubman with any fougere.

The Veg with anything animalistic.

Special Reserve with anything leather/not sweet. Aramis is a great pair for SR!

English leather only with English Leather cologne. Same with Tabac.

Pashana stands alone.

The rest of my aftershaves burn off rather quickly so whatever feels right after the shave. I usually try to pair them more with the soap I use.

Best Wishes, all.

I make a "home brew" aftershave by mixing 1 part Pinaud Clubman with 7 parts witch hazel plus a couple of drops of glycerin. Lot's of witch hazel goodness, a nice touch of smoothness from the glycerin and enough fougere scent to cover the scent of the witch hazel. It smells nice, but it doesn't last long, so I can use it with a variety of fragrances. I enjoyed it the other day paired with Brut.

Stumbled across this combo this morning.
Jeri's Musk aftershave
+
Royal Copenhagen cologne
RC has some musk and powder that blend into the musk of Jeri's pretty seamlessly.

Owen Bawn

Just today I shaved using Proraso blue cream; followed it with Proraso blue balm, and then 4 sprays of Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa. They really go together nicely.

Top Bottom