What's new

Lay flat hair/ stubble on the neck, how to get rid (foil shaver)

I've been using my Braun series 3 at work for the past few weeks and get DFS from it but I've noticed that I get a few hairs that lay really flag against to skin and get missed by the shaver, so I have to use a disposable to just tidy these up, kinda defeats the object on an electric razors really. Now I'm a shower shaver by default and was wondering if any one has any tricks or tips on how to get these pesky flat hairs.

It's only a few, and they're generally 2 or 3 days growth max.

Any help would be appreciated.

Like I said before smaller / thinner hairs that lay flat / go straight down are definitely a weak point of electrics well at least foil shavers ( not tried higher end models ) I think this is why people use alcohol based pre shaves to make the hair more stiff / dried out.

I believe you said yours is a 3010s so it has no pop up trimmer.

I can not suggest much as I do not really get this sorry and my 3080s has a pop up trimmer.

IMO no electric shaver can catch flat long hair on the neck completely. Maybe a rotary could be better in that scenario. I don't know.

Well after posting I had one of those pop ups telling me about sales prices at Argos (UK store) on Braun shavers. So after a quick look about I picked up a Bruan Series 3 3040s with the trimmer for £47 reduced for £99.99. A little bit more than my original purchase but Boots the chemist don't have any 3040s in stock.

I figured that apart from a few stray 'lay flats' I get DFS while at work. The lay flats can be dealt with by a cheap disposable which we keep at work (I work in a hospital). The newer 3040 can be for home and deal with my side burns.

Let you all know how it pans out.

Tried the new 3040s tonight and went with proraso menthol and Omega brush. Shave was superb and guess what...... No lay flats. May have to look into a small synthetic travel brush.

Last edited:
Tried the new 3040s tonight and went with proraso menthol and Omega brush. Shave was superb and guess what...... No lay flats. May have to look into a small synthetic travel brush.
interesting. But..what's the point of using an electric with a brush and soap? After the time spent for a good lathering..why nout just using whatever blade? IMO that defies the purpose of an electric

interesting. But..what's the point of using an electric with a brush and soap? After the time spent for a good lathering..why nout just using whatever blade? IMO that defies the purpose of an electric

Actually, no, it doesn't, for me. Smoother, closer, more comfortable electric shave. In about half the time of my DE shaves. What you shave with doesn't really matter wet shaving - the prep is 90% of the shave in my experience.

Actually, no, it doesn't, for me. Smoother, closer, more comfortable electric shave. In about half the time of my DE shaves. What you shave with doesn't really matter wet shaving - the prep is 90% of the shave in my experience.
Prep IS definitely 90% otf the results. But i can assure , all other things being equal (same brush, same soap etc) , between a wet fusion proglide 2 passes + touch-ups and a wet electric there's a night and day difference - tried on myself, fusion against an arc panasonic. Closeness-wise there was simply no comparison. I cannot speak for DEs since i don't use and don't like them at all.

If you look at any video about electric shaving, as with DE and SE shaving they too say it's all about the prep. Even if shaving dry. As the series 3 3010 and 3040 are 100% water proof (according to the bumpf) and can be used with just water, oil, gel or soap / cream. However you only need a thin lather. The fact that I used a brush was more because it was Proraso soap in the tub not the tube. If it had been I'd of just rubbed it in. Let's not forget I'm a dedicated West shaver and have several £'s locked into it. Recent purchases have been the Oneblade and hawk razors. This little excursion is because my works locker is not suitable for wet shaving gear due to size.

What I may do is swap the 3040 with my works 3010 as it has the trimmer and I've seen a view videos where the trimmer has been used to "take down" the lay flats. I'll try that tonight and if it works then it'll be coming to work tomorrow morning here in the UK.

So for perspective, if closeness is your sole criterion for a great shave, a bare blade wins. Probably on a straight, expertly wielded (sorry, DE, SE and cart fans). If time to shave is your criterion, an electric wins most of the time, for most skill levels. If comfort, it's a mixed bag, depending on face, beard, tools and technique. Point is, that everyone's definition of a "great shave" is different. I haven't pursued BBS since high school: 1) it isn't necessary, and really never was, 2) it requires more time, and 3) more likelihood of injury or irritation (time + running a sharp blade over your face). A DFS is all I want, all I pursue, and all I accomplish with my morning shave, with whatever species of the aforementioned instruments I pick up that day. And I'm happy with that result. Your collective and individual measured average Imperial distance may fluctuate from the mean of the above standards and analysis. :001_smile

Last edited:
So for perspective, if closeness is your sole criterion for a great shave, a bare blade wins. Probably on a straight, expertly wielded (sorry, DE, SE and cart fans). If time to shave is your criterion, an electric wins most of the time, for most skill levels. If comfort, it's a mixed bag, depending on face, beard, tools and technique. Point is, that everyone's definition of a "great shave" is different. I haven't pursued BBS since high school: 1) it isn't necessary, and really never was, 2) it requires more time, and 3) more likelihood of injury or irritation (time + running a sharp blade over your face). A DFS is all I want, all I pursue, and all I accomplish with my morning shave, with whatever species of the aforementioned instruments I pick up that day. And I'm happy with that result. Your collective and individual measured average Imperial distance may fluctuate from the mean of the above standards and analysis. :001_smile
obviously all other things being equal a shave with a straight will win every time.
Time-wise... i am not so sure. My older brother is able (witnessed by me) to shave with a DE in 7 minutes including prep , believe it or not.

For my experience Philips better of Braun on flat hairs but Panasonic better of both.
I talk about a daily shave or one day more.

Reactions: ctr
For my experience Philips better of Braun on flat hairs but Panasonic better of both.
I talk about a daily shave or one day more.

Haven't tried a panasonic but agree that Phillips is better at getting those kind of whiskers. Braun is more comfortable by a large degree. I find gently rocking the Series 7 360 seems to work for me.

Top Bottom