What's new

Lawn Care

Over the weekend we received our lawn care schedule. It consists of six applications. I would prefer not to do anything but after not treating our yard we almost lost it to an ivy that was creeping in. I tried to do the applications myself, but it just never worked with this yard. So my question is this: What is the right amount of applications? Is six too much?

I think I usually do 3 or 4. I have someplace like Chemlawn do a pre-emergent in the spring and usually do the remainder myself. Is six to much? I don't know.

Plant Zoysia grass ...
although its a bit of labor to install the plugs,
once they get established its as low-maintenance as can be.

I do not think six is too much over a growing season. Though a lesser number of applications may be good enough.

You should not take any advice from me, as my lawn needs a lot of TLC but an established lawn that has the appropriate grass for your climate and level of sunlight probably only needs fertilizer/weed treatment twice a year. The key is planting the appropriate type of grass for your amount of sunlight, rain/water, and heat.

I have Lawn Doctor. I think they do 7-8, but you can opt in or out of some. I tried other services, but LD seems to be the only one that can control the creeping charlie coming in from my neighbor's yards. I tried a local landscaper last year, but they never left paperwork on what they applied, seemed to skip some then would tell me they doubled the treatments. Creeping charlie got out of hand and I'll go back to LD this year.

Last edited:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
We are pretty restricted as to what we can do in Ontario Canada. I fertilize about every six weeks.

I have Lawn Doctor. I think they do 7-8, but you can opt in or out of some. I tried other services, but LD seems to be the only one that can control the creeping charlie coming in from my neighbor's yards. I tried a local landscaper last year, but they never left paperwork on what they applied, seemed to skip some then would tell me they doubled the treatments. Creeping charlie got out of hand and I'll go back to LD this year.

Creeping Charlie was the main problem we had. It came in from the neighbors and was taking over. I tried everything and couldn’t get rid of it. Maybe the 6 treatments are necessary. That stuff literally killed sections of the yard.

Creeping Charlie was the main problem we had.

Fertilome Weed Free Zone seems to work well on Creeping Charlie. I had a 32 oz spray bottle I used for small areas near the end of last summer and it seemed to kill it. I didn't try mixing it in a sprayer for large areas. As I remember, it required two light applications a week or so apart. The downside is that I can't find it in my area and and shipping cost can double the price if ordered on-line.

Sounds like the standard number of applications for a professional lawn service company. I've had several companies and they all seem to do six. I think it's because they sell you on the price per application in comparison to the cost per bag from a big box store. Big box stores seem to have programs consisting of four applications. At least that's been my experience.

Top Bottom