What's new

Lavender shaving soap/cream that smells like Yardley?

Yardley english lavender soap has been my soap of choice for over a decade. I'm trying to find a shaving soap or cream that smells like it. I'm travelling this week and brought with me a travel tube of D.R. Harris lavender cream. I had bought it along with a tube of rose scent in order to sample their products. The performance of D.R. Harris is great but the scents did nothing for me. For me, lavender scent is Yardley!
The D.R. Harris lavender smells nothing like what I'm accustomed to. Doesn't smell like lavender!
And the rose smells like cheap soap!
Needless to say, I won't be buying any other D.R. Harris soaps. Anyways, who makes one that smells like Yardley?
I use TOBS cedarwood which I love but I'm afraid of trying their lavender because of what I experienced with D.R. Harris.
Any ideas?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Ach Brito Lavanda is a nice mild Scented cream and I enjoy the AS also and it has some staying strength but not a loud scent that some Aftershaves colognes have to send every one in a room fleeing.

Yardley english lavender soap has been my soap of choice for over a decade. I'm trying to find a shaving soap or cream that smells like it. I'm travelling this week and brought with me a travel tube of D.R. Harris lavender cream. I had bought it along with a tube of rose scent in order to sample their products. The performance of D.R. Harris is great but the scents did nothing for me. For me, lavender scent is Yardley!
The D.R. Harris lavender smells nothing like what I'm accustomed to. Doesn't smell like lavender!
And the rose smells like cheap soap!
Needless to say, I won't be buying any other D.R. Harris soaps. Anyways, who makes one that smells like Yardley?
I use TOBS cedarwood which I love but I'm afraid of trying their lavender because of what I experienced with D.R. Harris.
Any ideas?
TOBS lavender is different, it is sweeter, spicier and more pungent while DR Harris lavender is more medicinal/herbal?

I have a tub of TOBS lavender cream that I’m currently trying to finish off as I’m not entirely happy with it. I enjoy the scent quality but not so much the actual performance, like slickness. I’m a big fan of lavender especially when I shave before bed. When it’s finished I will be looking for a better performing soap. I have in mind B&M or Ethos lavender. I’ve also heard great things about Castle Forbes, but it’s like 2-3 times the price of everything else.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
If you are looking for a shaving soap that smells like Yardley lavender hand soap then I advise against vintage Yardley lavender shaving soap. I have several pucks and, like many vintage shaving soaps, they have lost their scents and now simply smell of soap; that said, they perform really wonderfully. Oddly, the scent of my vintage Yardley hand soaps have not faded in the same way as the shaving soaps despite them being of similar age. This is not unique to Yardley, I experience the same thing with other brands.

I have two soaps that have a wonderful lavender aroma. Although they are produced with French "high elevation" lavender, it is the same low-camphor species as English lavender "lavendula angustaflora". The two soaps are:
Grooming Dept Kairos Lavender and Ethos Grooming Essentials Lisse Collection Lavender Supreme. Both are beautiful low-camphor lavender scents.

Some lavender scents are produced from other lavender species that have a more pungent, camphorous odor. Regular French lavender (lavendula denata) and Spanish lavender (lavendula stoechas) cannot withstand the cold temperatures of high elevations or the British Isles. Their aroma is more pungent.

There is also a hybrid lavender called Lavandin. This hybrid produces a high level of essential oil, but the scent is more pungent than English lavender and French high-elevation lavender. So unless you like the pungent aroma (I do not), be careful if you see Lavandin as one of the scent notes.

I have two soaps that have a wonderful lavender aroma. Although they are produced with French "high elevation" lavender, it is the same low-camphor species as English lavender "lavendula angustaflora". The two soaps are:
Grooming Dept Kairos Lavender and Ethos Grooming Essentials Lisse Collection Lavender Supreme. Both are beautiful low-camphor lavender scents.

Some lavender scents are produced from other lavender species that have a more pungent, camphorous odor. Regular French lavender (lavendula denata) and Spanish lavender (lavendula stoechas) cannot withstand the cold temperatures of high elevations or the British Isles. Their aroma is more pungent.

There is also a hybrid lavender called Lavandin. This hybrid produces a high level of essential oil, but the scent is more pungent than English lavender and French high-elevation lavender. So unless you like the pungent aroma (I do not), be careful if you see Lavandin as one of the scent notes.
I don't like the pungent lavender smell. That's why I'm looking for something similar to Yardley. The D.R. Harris was super pungent. I couldn't take it. I had to wash my face after the shave in order to get the smell off. I'll take a look at your suggestions as they seem like something similar to what I'm looking for.
LRod

I find that the ToBS lavender cream smells exactly like lavender essential oil. Just used it for the first time yesterday and liked it.

Speick shaving stick has a very, nice lavender scent, similar to Ethos, but more subtle.

I haven’t tried the new vegan version (I have a stash of the tallow), but it’s gotten some good reviews.

Two creams I really like with excellent lavender scents: Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort and Kiss My Face Lavender Shea. The T&H cream is supposedly unscented, but it has lavender EO.

Castle Forbes Lavender is very nice indeed. It’s more expensive than TOBS but it’s very concentrated and you only need half the amount. Plus it’s 200g which is a far bit bigger than most tubs of cream. I don’t find the quality of the shave to be superior to TOBS but the scent is top notch. I‘m UK based so perhaps it’s better value over here.

T&H is a nice mild lavender scent, performance is superior to Castle Forbes in my opinion, YMMV.

My understanding is that Ethos has a "Sweet Lavender" scent that is modeled after Yardley English Lavender. I believe that it only comes in body shaving soap at the moment, but don't know whether (a) this soap can be used for faces or (b) whether Frank at Ethos is planning on releasing the scent in a shaving soap or cream. He might do a custom cream for you if you ask.

eh, so many lavender variants!
and i agree with others that report Yardley vintage shave soap is pretty devoid of scent.
my reco, also, would be Truefitt & Hill Luxury shave soap!
fwiw!
Have fun exploring!!

truefitt hill luxury boker plisson penhaligon Lde blenheim bouquet april 29 2015.jpg

If you're after a specific scent match, you might want to buy samples of several creams before investing in a full tub. Creams generally have a stronger scent than soap. Castle Forbes is known for having very strong scent because they use a lot of essential oil.

For American hard glycerin soaps, you could try Taconic Shave lavender. I like it but have no idea what Yardley smells like to compare.

For anyone that's never smelled Yardley of London English lavender, whenever you're in any Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, Dollar General etc.., give it a whiff!
It's regular bathing soap that's in the soap section of the stores. It's very common soap that's been around forever. They're usually sold individually in a little box and costs a little over $1. Best soap bar I've ever used and it's amazing that it costs so little!

2207250.JPG

Just to play Devil's Advocate here:

Since you love the Yardley bath soap, have you tried shaving with it?
Nope! Too soapy and too much moisturizer in the formula. If I were to shave with it, I'd have a bubble bath in my sink. But I have thought about it before!

Top Bottom