What's new

Laurel Lady's Boudoir

I am very intrigued by these. I love the graphics and packaging. Are the blades used for these proprietary or will any standard DE work?

Found this on the vintage site www.retonthenet.co.uk

"...this type of razor used a blade which unfortunately is unavailable anymore. " I cannot vouch for the accuracy, I'm only reporting what I found.

From the description it sounds like it, and presumably the blades, are smaller than a standard DE razor.

Here is a picture of one that I own. I think it's safe to say that a regular blade will not fit.

proxy.php

I wasn't expecting this

My wife has disaapeared off to Samoa for the weekend. When she brings my camera back I will get some better photos.

I have just purchased one of the razors for my daughter in law, it has got 2 new blades with it, but i was wondering whether new ones could be purchased, considering the statement that the blades are no longer available...

Very curious. The pic posted is a bit tiny. I wonder what the blade bed looks like?

Here is a pic of my Laurel Ladies Boudoir Razor. They seem to have some differences, but all that I've seen seem to be the same size. Unlike what Ray's specimen appears to have, The blade bed on mine is a black plastic of some sort. The cap and handle are nickel plated; likely brass. You will note the handle and the case also look different than the one Ray has. The blade package, however, looks just like Ray's example. The blades only measure about 7/16" x 7/8". (A standard DE blade is about twice that wide and twice that long.)

Regards,
Tom

the blade bed is not made of plastic, it is bakelite, hope you don't mind me pointing that out.. and did you notice how much the blades were... 6 for 6d, which is the equivalent of 2 1/2p in todays UK currency...
when I actually receive mine I will post a larger picture..

the blade bed is not made of plastic, it is bakelite, hope you don't mind me pointing that out.. and did you notice how much the blades were... 6 for 6d, which is the equivalent of 2 1/2p in todays UK currency...
when I actually receive mine I will post a larger picture..

I don't doubt that the part is Bakelite, that is what is stated on the box lid, but since I'm not positive of that, and since Bakelite was/is an early type of plastic, I prefer to characterize the part as "some sort of plastic".

Regards,
Tom

Last edited:
Here is a picture of one that I own. I think it's safe to say that a regular blade will not fit.

proxy.php

I have the identical set. It would be fantastic to get more information about it.
What are the threads in the other end of the handle for, and have you come across blades anywhere?

the blades for this are very much not in production anymore. we are talking 3/4 of an inch along the depth of them. they are a curiousity at best, which is a pity. they are a lovely looking razor.
tom said:
I don't doubt that the part is Bakelite, that is what is stated on the box lid, but since I'm not positive of that, and since Bakelite was/is an early type of plastic, I prefer to characterize the part as "some sort of plastic".

Regards,
Tom

wrong, i am afraid. bakelite is similar to plastic, but if you heat it it will NOT melt, it just chars. true plastic melts under heat.

the blades for this are very much not in production anymore. we are talking 3/4 of an inch along the depth of them. they are a curiousity at best, which is a pity. they are a lovely looking razor.

wrong, i am afraid. bakelite is similar to plastic, but if you heat it it will NOT melt, it just chars. true plastic melts under heat.

Sorry to belabor this point, but I didn't claim Bakelite to be a thermoplastic as you seem to be narrowly catagorizing as "true plastic". I simply said it was an early type of plastic. It is, in fact, a thermosetting plastic. Such plastics are generally known as phenolic resins.

Bakelite has been designated by the American Chemical Society as a "National Historical Chemical Landmark" in recognition of its significance as the world's first synthetic plastic.

Regards,
Tom

Top Bottom