What's new

Laugar soaps (from Sweden)

Starting a new thread as I have not found an existing one. There are some posts about these soaps here and there, so there must be Laugar users here.

Laugar is a Swedes company producing organic products. There is not much on their website in english, but the translator works quite well :) Laugar of Sweden AB | Ekologiska raktvålar och hudvård. Småskaligt från Dalsland - https://laugar.se

If you have(had) one of the Laugar soaps, please share your experience. Tips and tricks are welcome as well.

I got the Ragnarök soap as a present. It comes in a nice wide aluminium tub. I only shaved with it a couple of times, so I'm not going to write anything about the performance yet. What I can already tell is that it is not soft (I can't tell how hard it really is as I mainly use creams). When lathering, it starts building a lather already while loading with a shaken out brush, so it is not really thirsty. I was expecting a bit different smell based on the description, but I'm not good at writing scent reviews anyway, so I'll leave it at that.

I have Alvdans. No added scents but with intense lemongrass scent. There're healing benefits of lemongrass but smell is not for me. I couldn't get used like red Cella. Leathers very easily. Over all a good and clean soap but I think suits to a DE guy unlike me.

I came back to this soap again (the Ragnarok). This time focused on getting everything right. It starts building lather easily, but I focused on loading the right amount, and spent more time building the lather. The Wunderbar lets you know when your lather is not perfect, but luckily that was not the case. The lather was wonderful, no irritation whatsoever. Although I loaded more than enough in the first round, I went back and loaded a little bit more before the 2nd pass and worked the lather once again so the 2nd pass had the same quality lather as the first. With soaps I feel that I need to go back to the puck before the 2nd pass, no matter what. This is not the case with creams, with them I just build the lather on my face and apply it before the 2nd pass. I suppose my technique is not perfect (just for context).

The scent: it is a bit dark, definitely not a "happy" scent, not flowery, fruity or sweet in any way. I can use it, in that it does not bother me, but it is not like an Italian soap, i.e. Prorasso or Cella. I suppose it isn't the scent that sells this soap...

I picked up a sample of Rimfrost from shavingtime but I haven't gotten round to try it yet. I'll try and remember and post on here when I do!

I am a big fan of these soaps and own all the current versions except the scent-free one. I love the scents of Alvdans and Rimfrost. I can tolerate Skogsra (Juniper), but Ragnarok irritates my face slightly die to the I tense cedar EO.

The base is really awesome and while it will never produce a yogurty consistency like the best tallow bases do, I love the performance and simple scents. A d it is a hard soap for sure that will last exceptionally long. I have been using Rimfrost for 2 weeks straight because I am on vacation and I can barely tell how much ai have used in the tin. I would not be surprised to get 100 shaves out of the tin.

And my face has been feeling mighty fine.

I have the Ragnarok and Skogsrå. Ragnarok irritates my skin and the scent is not for me, but my wife likes it. Skogsrå smells quite similar to Fitjar island Fjellheim soap. The performance is ok, but a little drying on the skin. This is not a soap i pick up when i use a SR, but it work fine for DE shaving in my opinion. They are comparable to the fitjar soaps, but is just a notch below in performance and post shave feel.
I am Norwegian, so i can read the scent description. It makes no sense to me when i smell my tubs.
The soap maker is Norwegian and is based in Sweden.

I'm starting to like this soap. Looks like I just had to practice loading hard(er) soaps. After a minute of blooming I loaded the brush almost dry and face lathered. It produced a great lather.

The puck is almost gone, the Ragnarok went to the 2nd row on the shelf. I can make a good lather with it: need to load a lot of soap, then add a lot of water gradually, even when it looks ok, add more water. One thing I don't like about it is that it does not have much residual slickness. The scent is also meh for me, so I will not restock it. There are many soaps in this price range(or lower) that work better for me.

I have grown to love Laugar more than I did when initially got it. I have had no luck bowl lathering, which is my custom, but the face lather is really different in a good way. I don't use nearly as much water as most of my soaps, more like using a cream. In fact, I probably use more water with Baume.be(hard cream)! With a thin film of water on the puck and a shaken brush, the proto lather that I get is basically the same consistency as many creams out of the jar. I work it around my damp face and make only one water addition, with a spray bottle in my case. I understand that the olive oil component probably inhibits good lathering, but I really love the post shave that I get and the other properties are at least as good as any cream short of Baume.be.

Top Bottom