What's new

Lathering with the Large Moss Scuttle

There has been much debate on how to use the Moss Scuttle. Many complain it's too small to lather in, and it's best just to use it as a brush warmer in between passes, while others do lather directly in it. Really it all depends on how large your brush is, how much space you like to work with, and how many different bowls you want to use in your shaving process. Below is the method that I find works well for those who like to lather in the scuttle.

1. Make sure you're using a smaller brush, as the Large scuttle does not give you much room to work with. I'd imagine between 20 and 23mm knot brushes work best. In this case, I have the simpson's PJ2.
full

full

As you can see, it takes up about half the space in the scuttle, leaving you a small working area (but still large enough to work up a good lather).
In comparison, this is what a 30mm shavemac looks like inside the scuttle
full

needless to say, this gives you no room to work up a good lather. For larger brushes you'll need to lather in a separate bowl.

2. If you have hot tap water, it should work fine with the scuttle. I don't, so I use a hotpot for about 45 seconds to get the water uncomfortably hot, but not burning. Pour hot water in inside chamber, and on brush inside the scuttle.
full

full

At, this point, I hop in the shower, cleanse my horrific sins from the previous night, and throw some proraso pre/post on. When I get out, I take out the brush and sop up the water in the inner bowl with a wash cloth.
full

Now I have a steaming hot (not burning) towel to put over my face for about a minute to really get the beard soft and help the proraso pre/post sink in.

3. Now (if I'm using a cream), I'll take a dab on the brush (in this, case Salter's Citrus)
full

and go to work, swirling around the edges and occasionally pumping the brush on the bottom of the scuttle. It may take a few seconds longer than using a bigger bowl, but after 45 seconds you've got this.
full

full

Plenty of lather for a good shave. And if you need more, you can always hit the scuttle again, swirling and pumping between passes, without worrying about the lather getting cold in a separate bowl.

4. For soaps, you can either start a small lather in the soap container and then lather in the scuttle just like you do with the cream, OR, all the soaps I've used can drop right into the scuttle itself. As an example
full

full

full

As you can see, the soap fits perfectly in the scuttle and you can generate all the lather you would need. With the soap, it's really a YMMV thing. You're going to use much more soap if you actually put it in the scuttle, so it's a tad wasteful, but you also can keep generating new "warm" lather throughout the process. NOTE: If putting soap in the scuttle, make sure it is not too hot, or you could risk melting the soap. :scared:

The scuttle works well as a brush warmer for those larger more luxurious brushes as well. Always make sure the water is not too hot or you will end up having the water evaporate from your lather inbetween passes, and you'll have to go back to your larger, cold bowl of lather to get more.

The working space in the scuttle is definitely a little cramped, but still sufficient for the end purpose (4+ passes), so if you don't mind a tight working space, and have a smaller knot brush, I'd highly recommend lathering in the scuttle itself. Having warm lather throughout the process really adds a lot to the shaving experience, and keeps those whiskers nice and soft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, and I was worried I'd get comments on the pink bathroom. Sadly, my roommate does not have the same affinity for wetshaving as I do, and needless to say, thinks I'm loco bananas. According to him, a real man
1. Shaves with edge gel and a Mach 3
2. doesn't put anything on their skin that "mositurizes"
3. Subsist on coffee, cigarettes, Jack Daniels, krispy kreme, and chunky soup.

SLider said:
Man, and I was worried I'd get comments on the pink bathroom.

I can sympathize:

full

Fortunately, I have a Moss scuttle on the way courtesy of Sara and the awesome B&B contest, so the pink bowl will get scuttled soon. :a14:

Seriously, thanks for putting this together -- very helpful stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps some Moss Scuttle owner can clarify this: does the shaving cream/soap "cup" lift out of the scuttle or is the entire scuttle a single piece?

Given the way the hot water is being poured into the Moss Scuttle in the above photograph, I imagine that it is a single piece. However, there is a dark line around the edge of the upper cup that makes me think there is a possibility that it lifts out.

TIA,
Danny

dszpiro said:
Perhaps some Moss Scuttle owner can clarify this: does the shaving cream/soap "cup" lift out of the scuttle or is the entire scuttle a single piece?

Given the way the hot water is being poured into the Moss Scuttle in the above photograph, I imagine that it is a single piece. However, there is a dark line around the edge of the upper cup that makes me think there is a possibility that it lifts out.

TIA,
Danny

It's made in two pieces but then the centre part is permanently bonded in (with glaze), you can't remove it and the seal should be watertight. :smile:

Top Bottom