What's new

Lathering with a shave stick(to help someone out)

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
full
full

So there it is, that's the amount of lather that I think of as a minimum to provide good protection and slickness. I hope this shows why getting enough proto lather at the beginning is so important and I only did two water additions so this is still doable every day. I think the resulting lather speaks for itself, it accomplishes the goal of being just short of dripping wet without loosing skin protection. This is only possible by loading enough soap, a merely wet lather is just a short cut that is going to cost you later in skin irritation. Lather like this almost erases any blade feel present, like little ball bearings between the blade and your face. Poor lather may glide well and fool you into thinking that everything is fine, but will not protect you from the blade edge.

I hope this is helpful to somebody. This is not intended as a comprehensive lathering tutorial and I have omitted some steps as my primary objective is to demonstrate the process of generating a proto lather, the lathering steps are just thrown in extras and assume that the reader knows how to add water and integrate it.

Oh heck freaking yeah. Thats the way ah ha, ah ha, I like it! 😋

Whenever folks are having issues whipping up a lather for the first time, and its looking all foamy, I always give the advice of going for a creamy yogurt consistency, and show them a picture of what that looks like in a lather bowl.

However, what you are covering more specifically, is getting to a proper lather, using the facial lathering technique. And I think you did a absolutely beautiful job, of demonstrating how to do it. The pictures were so good, the lather even made me hungry. 😁

And BTW, I love the Speick shave stick, smells like a kitchen spice cabinet, and provides a great lather on my face, and I work it in with my Maseto Avatar 30mm knot ST badger brush, works wonders. Great post buddy, I love it! 😍

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I enjoy using sticks so much that now, when I use a soap puck, I remove the dry puck from the mug, bowl, or other container, and rub it on my wet face in the style of a stick. It makes every soap perform wonderfully, even those pucks which I previously struggled to lather. That change is the biggest recent improvement I have made in my shaving.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I don't quite understand why you are using a stick like that in the first place. @Tillerman explains the process perfectly. The beauty of a shave stick is its simplicity of use.

I don't quite understand why you are using a stick like that in the first place. @Tillerman explains the process perfectly. The beauty of a shave stick is its simplicity of use.
It's just because I wasn't shaving and wanted to show how much soap should be in the brush before building the lather. The point being that if you load too lightly and over hydrate that, you have no protection just wet slickness. Maybe I should have taken one picture of the brush with a load of lather and said, at least this much and been done with it. I didn't and I can't edit it now, I acknowledged that this was flawed a couple posts up. 🤷‍♂️

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
It's just because I wasn't shaving and wanted to show how much soap should be in the brush before building the lather. ....
Ahhh! The lightbulb just went on for me.💡

When I use a shave stick, my facial area is more than 2x the size of one of my palms. There's no way that I would be able to get enough product rubbed onto a hand to be able to generate the normal lather volume that I get face lathering. But I do appreciate your demonstration post.... and anyone else that also posts pictorials.

I have to add that I have used a shave stick less than a dozen times, but I have fallen in love with the process. Have a Stirling tuxedo that I didn't care for for bowl lathering, but works great on my face. Can't wait to get a variety of sticks.

I have to add that I have used a shave stick less than a dozen times, but I have fallen in love with the process. Have a Stirling tuxedo that I didn't care for for bowl lathering, but works great on my face. Can't wait to get a variety of sticks.
The Lea stick, I think La Toja is the same, is the easiest thing I have lathered! Rubbing a Haslinger puck on my face would be a close second.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
It's just because I wasn't shaving and wanted to show how much soap should be in the brush before building the lather. The point being that if you load too lightly and over hydrate that, you have no protection just wet slickness. Maybe I should have taken one picture of the brush with a load of lather and said, at least this much and been done with it. I didn't and I can't edit it now, I acknowledged that this was flawed a couple posts up. 🤷‍♂️
My process is rubbing the stick on my face then lathering with a dampish brush until my face is covered then dip my brush in water and lather until I get the desired hydration. I prefer a rather wet but not runny lather. As I shave the lather will begin drying a bit and I dip and keep it where I like. Easy, quick and effective. I shave with straight razors and slickness is paramount - I find thickness of the lather to be detrimental.

My method:
Step 1: rub shave stick on wet face and neck.
I bought a Speick stick for the first time.

Great! This is exactly the piece I was looking for. It is the best way? Is there any other methods to load soap with the brush?

Great! This is exactly the piece I was looking for. It is the best way? Is there any other methods to load soap with the brush?
It is just that easy. You may have to dip the tips of your brush to add a little bit more water depending on, but yes it is that easy.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
Rub the stick on your face and lather with a wet (not dripping) brush. Sticks are perfect for travel. I don't use lather bowls for any of my soaps.

You could load your brush directly on the stick, but it's not convenient or recommended. You could make the stick into a puck and lather like a puck soap. I would only use this method if the soap is only available in stick form and you prefer to load from a puck.

But if you want to use the shave stick to it's full potential, rub it on your wet face, face lather with a damp brush and shave away.

Make sure lots of soap is caught in your whiskers, cheeks, neck, goatee area. If you need to reapply for pass 2 or 3, reapply. I find there is usually enough soap in the brush from the first application, it's rarely needed to reapply. But if you need to, just reapply the stick. Not as much will stick to your face on additional applications, as the whiskers will already be mowed down.

You could load your brush directly on the stick, but it's not convenient or recommended. You could make the stick into a puck and lather like a puck soap. I would only use this method if the soap is only available in stick form and you prefer to load from a puck.

But if you want to use the shave stick to it's full potential, rub it on your wet face, face lather with a damp brush and shave away.

Make sure lots of soap is caught in your whiskers, cheeks, neck, goatee area. If you need to reapply for pass 2 or 3, reapply. I find there is usually enough soap in the brush from the first application, it's rarely needed to reapply. But if you need to, just reapply the stick. Not as much will stick to your face on additional applications, as the whiskers will already be mowed down.
Really I wrote my post because I didn’t find practical load the brush directly on the stick.

This morning I tried for the first time to rub the stick on the wet face.

Then I lather with the damp brush but I need to optimize the brush humidity because this morning I splashed water on the mirror and I think you can imagine what the wife will tell you!

Really I wrote my post because I didn’t find practical load the brush directly on the stick.

This morning I tried for the first time to rub the stick on the wet face.

Then I lather with the damp brush but I need to optimize the brush humidity because this morning I splashed water on the mirror and I think you can imagine what the wife will tell you!
Oh yes lather will end up in all kinds of places in the bathroom, especially face lathering and using a synthetic brush. that is why I keep cleaning supplies in the bathroom so I do not cause myself some additional hardship.

Top Bottom