What's new

Lathering technique.

Hi all! I recently bought a Yaqi 26 knot synthetic brush and was wondering how others use it. I know it may be pretty straight forward but I was curious if others who have used one for a lot longer have found any tips or tricks about it. I've tried using it with only a little water and I've also tried it soaked and am just curious what other people's experiences are. Thanks in advance!
proxy.php

I don't own this particular brush, but I've found with all of my seven synthetics that the best method, whether bowl or face lathering, is to load damp, adding water in small amounts as you go.

I don't own this particular brush, but I've found with all of my seven synthetics that the best method, whether bowl or face lathering, is to load damp, adding water in small amounts as you go.
Yeah that's what I have found so far as well. Thanks!

Yep, slightly moistened tips, load soap, maybe add a drop or two of water to load more soap, then face or bowl lather, adding small amounts of water as needed.

I get it wet under the faucet then shake out so I’m starting with a slightly damp brush. I load straight from the tub then face lather. Once I begin lathering I add a few drops of water at a time.

+2! Adding water a bit at a time is the way to go; that’s pretty much what I do with any brush.

The easiest option, however, is to use a good shave stick: GUARANTEED SUCCESS!! :a29:

Yup. Start damp and add water as you go. I have two RR synthetics and this method works, whether bowl or face lathering.

When bowl lathering, having a few drops of H2O in the bottom helps get things moving.

With synthetics, you dont need to soak it, just get it wet. Its not going absorb water anyways. I always shake the water out of my brush and add water if needed by dipping the tips in water.
I just load the brush on a puck of soap and then build the later on my face. I use a painting/scrubbing motion, instead of doing circles. IMO, doing circles can be hard on a brush but opinions vary.

With synthetics, you dont need to soak it, just get it wet. Its not going absorb water anyways. I always shake the water out of my brush and add water if needed by dipping the tips in water.
I just load the brush on a puck of soap and then build the later on my face. I use a painting/scrubbing motion, instead of doing circles. IMO, doing circles can be hard on a brush but opinions vary.
Yeah I do the same! I find the circular motions can sometimes irritate my skin a little and I actually get a much better coating by painting it on.

I do it a different way. I dunk my brush in water take my thumb and index finger in my left hand and make an "O" shape and gently run it down the bristles. I then take that brush and load it. My brushes tend to be a bit wetter than most and usually I don't have to add any water to my lather.

I do it a different way. I dunk my brush in water take my thumb and index finger in my left hand and make an "O" shape and gently run it down the bristles. I then take that brush and load it. My brushes tend to be a bit wetter than most and usually I don't have to add any water to my lather.
Interesting!

For me, it depends on the type of soap I'm using.

If I am using an Italian soft soap/Croap like Proraso, cella, etc, I use the @Marco Method. This is a sopping wet brush swirled in an upside down mug. It is a bit messy, but it works really well and has never let me down. I typically still add a little more water to reach my preferred consistency(dryer for DE and wetter for Straight). You can use this method for pretty much any soft soap and have great success.
Triple milled soaps/ other hard soaps require a damp brush to rip up the surface of the soap. Then, the standard water additions of a few drops at a time builds a nice moist lather.
Disclaimer, I have used Yaqui synthetics, but I'm not sure if it is the same knot as yours. BUT both methods I mentioned work perfectly well with my knots.

Best wishes!

For me, it depends on the type of soap I'm using.

If I am using an Italian soft soap/Croap like Proraso, cella, etc, I use the @Marco Method. This is a sopping wet brush swirled in an upside down mug. It is a bit messy, but it works really well and has never let me down. I typically still add a little more water to reach my preferred consistency(dryer for DE and wetter for Straight). You can use this method for pretty much any soft soap and have great success.
Triple milled soaps/ other hard soaps require a damp brush to rip up the surface of the soap. Then, the standard water additions of a few drops at a time builds a nice moist lather.
Disclaimer, I have used Yaqui synthetics, but I'm not sure if it is the same knot as yours. BUT both methods I mentioned work perfectly well with my knots.

Best wishes!
What a response! Thanks and I will definitely give it a go.

No soak needed with synthetics. Let the water from the tap run over it until it is really wet all over. Then let the water drip off and give it a couple of shakes. Then, start loading the soap. Add water as necessary a few drops at a time as you make the lather.

I don't like the Marko method at all. I find it wasteful and messy, and I can get just as good a lather starting with a much dryer brush and adding water as I go. If you never load enough soap into a brush, the Marco method will make sure you do. Once you learn how to load the right amount of soap, though, the Marco method becomes more wasteful than helpful, in my opinion.

Top Bottom