What's new

Lathering Spirit Goat Soap

Last week I found this local shop that makes their own soaps, and they had a shaving soap they call the "Bubble Bar". It's a little different than conventional shaving soap in that it is based on goat's milk. I've tried lathering it a few different times with different methods, but the best I can get is more of a bubbly froth, rather than a thick lather. I know that this is probably to be expected since it is called the "bubble bar" but if any of you have any tips for lathering a goat's milk soap I would appreciate it.
I would really like to get a good lather from this soap because it smells fantastic and is super slippery! I used it yesterday despite not getting good lather, and it worked really well. This is definitely a soap worth looking in to.
http://www.spiritgoat.com/products.php?cat=11

Even the best reviewed shave soap makers around admit it took them months or years of testing and feedback to get a shave soap that works properly. 99 times of out 100, taking a regular soap and just adding some clay (as these guys appear to have done) isn't going to get you anything that lathers right or shaves well.

Sometimes, loading more soap into the brush or using less water helps, but I've got a feeling something in the soap's formulation isn't quite right. Since the soaper's local, perhaps you could work with them to produce a better product. If you show them how a good soap should lather, maybe they'll try to improve theirs.

-Clarke

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has tried Spirit Goat products.

I gave up on their shave soap but their bay rum aftershave balm is truly amazing stuff. It smells like a mix between old spice and bay rum :thumbup:

I haven't found a good goats milk soap yet.

Rose of Sharon Acres makes a great multi-purpose bar w/ goat's milk . Bath, shampoo, shave. They also have straight bath soaps w/ goat's milk, but I haven't tried those. Granted the shave end of the multi-bar isn't quite as good as a regular shave soap, but it will do in a pinch or for travel. The lather as a shampoo bar is outstanding and very skin friendly.

FYI Here is the ingredient list for the Bubble soap-

Goat’s milk, saponified oils of palm kernel, coconut, soybean, olive, palm, castor; cocoa butter; shea butter; essential oils; French green clay; bentonite.The Bubble Bar contains essential oils.

I haven't found a good goats milk soap yet.

Colleen of The Gentlemen's Quarter uses goats' milk in her shaving soaps. And her soaps are impeccable.

EDIT: From her website:
"The Gentlemen's Quarter" shaving soaps are made from the finest quality base on the market today and are unique in that they are soap, not just a glycerin base filled with detergents. Our shaving soap is 100 % natural with added Kosher glycerin from a vegetable source. We add no synthetic detergents, chelators, foaming enhancers or artificial colors to our base. What we do add is a Custom blend of rich creamy goat's milk, moisturizing Shea butter and skin soothing Aloe Vera along with our own special blend of the finest ground Kaolin, Bentonite and Rhassoul clays to provide superior slip and glide without drying your skin.

Last edited:
I'm experiencing similar results with a different soap...I have a feeling it's a case of the "I'll pour it in a round mould so it will fit in a mug, add clay and call it shaving soap"

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has tried Spirit Goat products.

I gave up on their shave soap but their bay rum aftershave balm is truly amazing stuff. It smells like a mix between old spice and bay rum :thumbup:

I will probably keep working at the soap. For me it works well enough, and is slick enough, to not need thick lather. You are definitely right about the aftershave balm, it is very good. I have the Woodland fragrance, and I like it, but I think I will have to go back for some Bay Rum.

I will probably keep working at the soap. For me it works well enough, and is slick enough, to not need thick lather. You are definitely right about the aftershave balm, it is very good. I have the Woodland fragrance, and I like it, but I think I will have to go back for some Bay Rum.

PM me your mailing address and I will send you a sample if you want to try it.

I'm experiencing similar results with a different soap...I have a feeling it's a case of the "I'll pour it in a round mould so it will fit in a mug, add clay and call it shaving soap"

I have given up on "artisan" shaving soap. I got an amazing bath soap at our local farmers market, and then bought a shaving soap. It smells great, but totally sucks. It will make a great shower soap, so not all is lost.

+1

Just because it is called "shaving soap" doesn't mean it is actually useful for that purpose.

If you were to randomly select a "shaving soap" from 10 artisan soapers (who are unknown to this board, and thus untested products) you might get lucky and find one of them to actually work as expected.

Quite often these people making soaps are 100% clueless as to what a good shaving lather should look like, and simply take their bath soap recipe, and add some clay to it; the resulting "shaving soap" is an utter disaster.

Unless you have money to burn, you are much better spending your money with the artisan vendors who are well known to this board who have spent the time, and effort perfecting their shaving soap to ensure it performs correctly. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom