What's new

Lathering Saponificio Varesino

Gents,

I recently tried SV, and the fragrance and performance was amazing! Now I have three pucks that I will be working my way through over time. At any rate, my first attempt at lathering the puck produce a good lather, but I was not happy with it, and knew that I did not maximize its performance.

So I went on their website and found these instruction

Saponificio Varesino’s formulations contain active ingredients that, in order to five the best perfomance, need to solubilize and/or melt. The maximum performance can be obtained in this way: cover the soap surface with a thin veil of hot water for few minutes. Soak a badger shaving brush, rinse it well and then pour the thin veil of water that bloomed the soap on the brush, and then start loading (20-30 seconds), face or bowl lather without adding water.

I poured very hot water onto the puck, let it sit there for five minutes while I had my brush soaking in a tea cup. I shook out all of the water I could from the brush, poured the hot bloom water into a bowl, and loaded on the puck for 60 seconds.

Then I took the brush, and started swirling it around my lather bowl into paste. Once pastey, I dipped the tips of the brush in the bloom water, and shook it out. Then I went back to making the lather in the bowl, when it needed more water I simply dipped the tips, in the bloom water, shook it out, and then went back to lathering. I did this until I had the consistency I wanted, and I was very pleased with the results.

I just figured I would share this technique for folks trying SV for the first time in case it helps.

Vr

Matt

4D544160-E64C-4CBE-9D93-68D7802743D3.jpeg
80B99E73-4880-4C87-BD17-5DA3A516E7E4.jpeg
7FB4FC93-9D3D-4DAF-8671-7BEC2209823E.jpeg
C3EBBA21-44DA-4E59-BEC0-697C35692F9F.jpeg

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I never, ever bloom any soap!
I have no issues loading and lathering...especially a soap like SV, which basically lathers itself!
No soap requires blooming.
Absolutely! I was shaking my head when I read that recommendation as I've never had any problem lathering straight off a dry SV puck.

I never soak any soaps.

Absolutely! I was shaking my head when I read that recommendation as I've never had any problem lathering straight off a dry SV puck.

I never soak any soaps.

I had the same reaction when I saw that instruction! Especially for SV since it practically lathers itself!

Glad the SV recommendation worked out well! :thumbup: :thumbup:

For me it is KISS, just load from the puck and add a few drops of water at a time. But that’s me!

Yah...I just load the damp brush and dip the tips in RO water a few times throughout the face lathering process.

I used SV Felce Aromatica again today, and achieved even better results!

Beautiful shave! I also used a vintage Wilkinson blade that was out of a 1981 box of 200 of them. It was on its second use, and just sublime!

I hope that everyone is having a nice Easter!

Vr

Matt

52ED481D-8F63-4819-BA77-1A927B601071.jpeg
C4D0E6D0-A638-4C15-9EA6-F9256EFA3014.jpeg
6C71CF8D-4DB2-41DD-91DD-1F9B5393106C.jpeg
579E9861-FEBE-41B6-B202-8F1B3470A78C.jpeg

This thread may be a bit dated, but I'm in search of advice on enhancing my SV lather. I've been achieving satisfactory results with my standard face-lathering method, which involves loading a dry puck with a damp brush and gradually adding water to the brush. Despite these efforts, the results aren't on par with an elite soap, particularly in terms of cushioning.
I need to give this a try

This thread may be a bit dated, but I'm in search of advice on enhancing my SV lather. I've been achieving satisfactory results with my standard face-lathering method, which involves loading a dry puck with a damp brush and gradually adding water to the brush. Despite these efforts, the results aren't on par with an elite soap, particularly in terms of cushioning.
I need to give this a try
@AJMiami I load and build lather same as you do. On a bloomed puck. I agree with previous comments that blooming isn’t necessary. Having tried both bloom and not bloom. I bloom, and save the bloom water for dipping. Bloom water tip dipping gets me to my desired consistency quicker. I face lather exclusively. Haven’t tried more than a half dozen “elite” soaps. I find SV to be a very high performance soap. Having switched back to warm water shaves from cold also shortened the time to get to my required lather consistency. I shave face & head. I prefer different lather consistencies, thinner for face and thicker for head. In both cases excellent performance in, slicknesses, cushion, and post shave lubrication. I do use pre shave Shea Butter, ensuring extra, excellent lube, during and post shave. I use SV soap exclusively, in my fixed four.

IMG_0388.jpeg

Lathering well the same is also very different for many. Different brushes, water chemistry, temperature can be considerably different for users. A soap’s operational window has to bridge these variables and perform well in all.

I had been a silvertip mostly cream user for a few decades before discovering B&B. Arriving here my first impression was “ why do so many over think lathering?” As I tried various soaps and all of a sudden many different brushes. I found myself chasing my tail a little. Being an experienced lathering dude. I then started hand lathering a new or problem soap. This simplified getting to the sweet spot quickly and with positive tactile feedback.

Happy Shaves

I've had no issues loading it either bloomed or unbloomed. And I've done it the way @Matt O describes, dipping the tips in the bloom water.

But my favorite method lately is to use just enough bloom water to cover the surface, shake as much water out of the brush as possible, and then load directly without pouring off the water. Seems to make the perfect lather with minimal work (in the bowl or on the face, I do both depending on my mood). Only downside is I usually end up with a lot of soap leftover. I usually just smear the leftovers on my face and let it set while I clean up. My skin likes it.

@AJMiami I load and build lather same as you do. On a bloomed puck. I agree with previous comments that blooming isn’t necessary. Having tried both bloom and not bloom. I bloom, and save the bloom water for dipping. Bloom water tip dipping gets me to my desired consistency quicker. I face lather exclusively. Haven’t tried more than a half dozen “elite” soaps. I find SV to be a very high performance soap. Having switched back to warm water shaves from cold also shortened the time to get to my required lather consistency. I shave face & head. I prefer different lather consistencies, thinner for face and thicker for head. In both cases excellent performance in, slicknesses, cushion, and post shave lubrication. I do use pre shave Shea Butter, ensuring extra, excellent lube, during and post shave. I use SV soap exclusively, in my fixed four.

View attachment 1662808

Lathering well the same is also very different for many. Different brushes, water chemistry, temperature can be considerably different for users. A soap’s operational window has to bridge these variables and perform well in all.

I had been a silvertip mostly cream user for a few decades before discovering B&B. Arriving here my first impression was “ why do so many over think lathering?” As I tried various soaps and all of a sudden many different brushes. I found myself chasing my tail a little. Being an experienced lathering dude. I then started hand lathering a new or problem soap. This simplified getting to the sweet spot quickly and with positive tactile feedback.

Happy Shaves
I appreciate the detailed instruction. Thanks

I've had no issues loading it either bloomed or unbloomed. And I've done it the way @Matt O describes, dipping the tips in the bloom water.

But my favorite method lately is to use just enough bloom water to cover the surface, shake as much water out of the brush as possible, and then load directly without pouring off the water. Seems to make the perfect lather with minimal work (in the bowl or on the face, I do both depending on my mood). Only downside is I usually end up with a lot of soap leftover. I usually just smear the leftovers on my face and let it set while I clean up. My skin likes it.
Thank you 🙏

View attachment 1662808

Happy Shaves
You need to alternate directions when you are loading your brush, and maybe throw some crosses in there too. Your brush will last longer and not get all swirled in one direction like it is in your photo.

If you care about such things. If not, ignore this post.

You need to alternate directions when you are loading your brush, and maybe throw some crosses in there too. Your brush will last longer and not get all swirled in one direction like it is in your photo.

If you care about such things. If not, ignore this post.
@PLANofMAN I demand and expect very high performance from each of my fixed four. I do care a lot. Loading I rotate in both circular directions and crosses as well. I load out of the container at least twice, with touch ups. Currently I do a weekly ATG Two Pass Face & Head shave. The Zenith B35 is an excellent performer.
It is a large brush and complete drying does take three days minimum. I have let it dry out without any touch up grooming and found the performance a bit off. I do slight grooming touch ups over the first four days. The photo your comment on is probably in the first couple of days in drying out.
I took fresh pics of the brush today on its fourth dry out day. Completely dry and groomed. What do you think?

IMG_0426.jpeg
IMG_0425.jpeg

Happy Shaves

@PLANofMAN I demand and expect very high performance from each of my fixed four. I do care a lot. Loading I rotate in both circular directions and crosses as well. I load out of the container at least twice, with touch ups. Currently I do a weekly ATG Two Pass Face & Head shave. The Zenith B35 is an excellent performer.
It is a large brush and complete drying does take three days minimum. I have let it dry out without any touch up grooming and found the performance a bit off. I do slight grooming touch ups over the first four days. The photo your comment on is probably in the first couple of days in drying out.
I took fresh pics of the brush today on its fourth dry out day. Completely dry and groomed. What do you think?

View attachment 1663491View attachment 1663492

Happy Shaves
Very nice brush 👍

Top Bottom