What's new

Lathering Proraso Sandalwood

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
I find that I have to swish my brush around in int the pot maybe 10-15 times to load my brush up well and was wondering does anyone else have to do this? I like the scent and performance of this soap, but was just wondering usual.

I don't have the red in the tub, but I have the white (and Cella) and I would say 10-15 times is pretty reasonable. You figure on a swish/second basis your actually about 40 seconds shy of the standard recommendation of 60 seconds. I'm assuming that the red is a croap like the white. Are you doing a three pass shave? How long/how many swishes do you need when you use other croaps? Soaps?

I actually prefer Proraso Red in the tub. I load my boar brush for about a minute and that usually yields some pretty luxurious lather (face lather). I also tend to give a few more swirls just before the third pass to make sure the razor really glides ATG! Proraso Red is definitely in my top 3! Love it...

I find that I have to swish my brush around in int the pot maybe 10-15 times to load my brush up well and was wondering does anyone else have to do this? I like the scent and performance of this soap, but was just wondering usual.

This is my favorite shave cream and the one I use when I shave (every other day). No problem lathering and I have harder water out of my tap. I simply wet my brush in scalding water, shake lightly, then squeeze about an hershey kiss size amount onto the wet brush head. Wet my face in warm water then brush on my face in a circular pattern. Lathers great. I absolutely love Proraso Red shave cream. It's a lot easier to find these days. I'd say about 10 to 15 swirls of circular motion is about normal for full lathering. Time to lather seems on par with other shave creams (AOS) I've used in the past.

Last edited:
Was the OP asking how many swirls to LOAD his brush from the tub, or how many swirls to CREATE lather once the brush is loaded?

Yes, that's totally normal. Proaso in the tub is a hard cream, so it takes a few swirls to get the brush properly loaded.

that's quite a bit fewer swirls than i do, but i prefer to load a lot of product.

+1! I like the "Marco Method" when I use soft soap, including all the Prorasos. I use a very wet brush and swirl my brush on the soap for at least 45+ seconds. My tubs last around 4-6 weeks, but I always have more than sufficient smooth and creamy lather for my 3+ pass shaves.

I take a tube of red and squeeze it into a tub of red that I have put in a bigger container and I have a "croap " that lathers up awesome

Sorry for the ignorance folks…. but here goes. I LOVE proraso red but I've always used the tube. Is the tub different?

- Badger Bill

Sorry for the ignorance folks…. but here goes. I LOVE proraso red but I've always used the tube. Is the tub different?

- Badger Bill

The tub and the tube are nearly identical and equally good. The tub is a very soft soap (croap) with the same basic formula. I believe that Proraso even refers to both as "creams." It's really just personal preference and availability (I'm still waiting for Proraso to release a Blue tub!!!). I personally prefer the tubs because I like loading from a wet brush and it's easier to control a proper water/soap ratio. However, I've owned and used the Green, Red and Blue tubes in addition to all the available tubs.

I have/use Proraso in the tub and the tube... Tube for travel, tub for daily use at home. Anyway, I find myself loading from the tub about 15 swirls as well, so I think that's normal. Provides enough lather for a super 2 pass, and still allows the brush to add lather to any touch up areas I need to hit again.

- Badger Bill

I have only used the "tube cream" myself, but was under the impression that the Proraso "tub" with the lid contained a shave soap puck inside, not a hard cream. I don't know, that's just what I thought. I mean shave creams and puck shave soaps are really all just different forms of a soap anyway as far as I've always known. Difference is the consistency, how they're packaged, and how the user prepares the product for them self when using it.

...I think they are also prepared slightly differently. Isn't the soap "cured" for longer?

Anyway, I personally like the soap more... Getter a thicker, slicker, and more protective lather.

I have only used the "tube cream" myself, but was under the impression that the Proraso "tub" with the lid contained a shave soap puck inside, not a hard cream. I don't know, that's just what I thought.

No, the tubs are a croap, aka hard cream, not a puck.

With the Proraso White I load the brush for about 10 seconds. A good two dozen swirls, maybe a few more. And then bowl lather for a minute or so. It has been a good croap. After about 3 months of use I'm only halfway through the tub.

Top Bottom