What's new

Lathering on face vs lathering in bowl

Is it just me ? I always get a thicker, richer lather when I lather in the bowl as opposed to lathiering on my face. And the shaves are better too

While I have equal success with both methods I should mention using the correct brush is key. When lathering on my face I use a smaller brush such as the PJ1 Super, C&E best, SCS best, etc. The only time that I use this method is with shave sticks. The resulting lather is very thick with incredible lubricity. I've also received excellent results with both of my turn-back brushes the T&H and Simpsons making for a very compact traveling shave kit.

When I've tried the same using a larger brush as a BK8 or equivalent the result has been lacking.

Rik said:
While I have equal success with both methods I should mention using the correct brush is key. When lathering on my face I use a smaller brush such as the PJ1 Super, C&E best, SCS best, etc. The only time that I use this method is with shave sticks. The resulting lather is very thick with incredible lubricity. I've also received excellent results with both of my turn-back brushes the T&H and Simpsons making for a very compact traveling shave kit.

When I've tried the same using a larger brush as a BK8 or equivalent the result has been lacking.

-I use a small brush
-Have u tried lathering shaving cream on your face instead of stick??

rafikz said:
-I use a small brush
-Have u tried lathering shaving cream on your face instead of stick??
I can't say I've ever tried that...but I will. :biggrin: I suspect a larger brush will produce better results.

When at home, I use a bowl except with a stick. I also find a smaller brush works better (but I tend to prefer a smaller brush generally). When I'm travelling I tend to lather on my face - I find the Proraso soap in the tub works quite well (for some reason, I find the Omega brush works really well with the Proraso soap and keep one at work).

If you lather on your face, the "scratchiness" of the brush becomes more of a factor.

Just my two cents.

I have tried numerous times to lather with a bowl using various techniques mentioned here and I am clearly doing something wrong, because it always results in more irritation and more mess.

both methods work great for me, although if I lather on my face it takes a tad longer (you can't just sling the brush around like a maniac...so to get the same quality of lather takes a little longer....actually that's why I like lathering directly on my face. It is just plain luxurious)
John P.

Both for me!

I lather in a bowl at home and directly on my face when I'm travelling to save carrying a bowl with me. The only advantage is that you can get the lather to the right consistency in a bowl before applying it to your face.

I can control the lather in the bowl better than on my face, BUT I find that if I swirl the lather on my face for 2-3 minutes, I get a smoother shave. I "cheat" however -- I have my quaiche (pewter bowl) suspended in my hotpot. Always piping hot lather!

Tom

Bowl, baby, bowl. I started out as a face latherer and moved to the bowl. I now only build lather on my face when no bowl can be found.

Ditto for me. The only time I forego the bowl is when I'm traveling--then I use a QED shave stick and just lather up right on my face. Haven't found a decent travel bowl that fits in my kit. . .suggestions?

mrob said:
Ditto for me. The only time I forego the bowl is when I'm traveling--then I use a QED shave stick and just lather up right on my face. Haven't found a decent travel bowl that fits in my kit. . .suggestions?
If you are using a Taylor's tub, you can remove the "liner" that holds the cream and use the tub as your mixing bowl. It isn't perfect, but better than nothing.

S

Sam

I shave in the shower and it is a lather on the face for me. No problems controlling it and I get a great meringue with the SMF1 or XXL Shavemac. The XXL makes the most decadent cream anyway for me, and combining that with the smell of a CF cream, WOW

Sam

Kyle said:
If you are using a Taylor's tub, you can remove the "liner" that holds the cream and use the tub as your mixing bowl. It isn't perfect, but better than nothing.

Very clever!

Top Bottom