What's new

Lathering Modern Williams Mug - Pretty Easy!

I took the advice of @Tallships and grated some Dove soap with a puck of Williams. The first day was not impressive, so I let it sit for a week and tried it again. What a difference a week made. After soaking my Omega 290 in hot water while I showered, I gave the brush a few shakes over my lather bowl, about 2 tablespoons of water. Then I did about 60 swirls to load the brush on the puck. The brush was pretty damp and I only loaded it for about 10-15 seconds then started plunging it in the water in my bowl. In about 2 minutes I had enough lather for 3 passes without adding water.

I didn't take any pictures of the lather, but it was a really nice shave with my Game Changer 84 and a Gillette Platinum(8).

View attachment 1032699

i'm glad that you like the Williams/Dove mix, the puck mix does need to dry out if too wet. But as I mentioned many times before, New Williams by it self is not a bad soap but not as it once was, Dove just gives it a bit of a boost.

Many of the gents here try Williams by it self, by picking up product on the brush and continue lathering in a bowl. Williams is a Mug soap and best puck lathered in the mug, I don't know the reasoning behind this method but lathering it on the puck in a mug works. Using a small knot brush like a 20 or 22 seems to work best for me. I had a Williams mug but it broke now I use an Old Spice Mug, holds the puck tight. No matter what soap I use I've always puck lathered, never use a second bowl or mug, a habit I learned from my dad I guess.
I might be loosing my memory but did Williams ever make a tube of cream? I know the made it in Stick, Powder and Puck but i don't remember a tube of Williams cream.

We use the lather machines at barber college💈 but I am allowed to bring in a mug and brush if I disinfect the tools between clients. I am expecting my order for the Marvy boar brush, Marvy green rubber shaving mug, and a large order of Williams shave soap to arrive on Tuesday November 12th. 🙂👍

I am really looking forward to it because the hot lather from the machine has poor lubrication. Clients like the hot lather, but it does not help me with shaving. Especially with heavy coarse beards. The William's shave soap is far superior for its slickness and I can use hot water from the tap to get hot lather.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Many of the gents here try Williams by it self, by picking up product on the brush and continue lathering in a bowl. Williams is a Mug soap and best puck lathered in the mug, I don't know the reasoning behind this method but lathering it on the puck in a mug works. Using a small knot brush like a 20 or 22 seems to work best for me. I had a Williams mug but it broke now I use an Old Spice Mug, holds the puck tight. No matter what soap I use I've always puck lathered, never use a second bowl or mug, a habit I learned from my dad I guess.

I prefer to lather in a bowl, but I did lather Williams in a mug once. I have also found using a small brush of a synthetic works best with WMS. Last night I used my Omega 290 boar with a fresh puck of Williams, I only did one test lather with it the day before. Starting with a pre-soaked brush I shook it over my bowl and only needed about 15-20 seconds on the puck before I finished lathering in the bowl. Making sure my face was properly hydrated, the Williams performed just like advertised. No problems with clean-up at all, rinsed right off my face and gear.
But I still prefer the Williams/Dove or adding a bit of Cremo to just straight Williams. Like you have said, it just needs a little kick.
20191108_164858[1].jpg

i'm glad that you like the Williams/Dove mix, the puck mix does need to dry out if too wet. But as I mentioned many times before, New Williams by it self is not a bad soap but not as it once was, Dove just gives it a bit of a boost.

I might be loosing my memory but did Williams ever make a tube of cream? I know the made it in Stick, Powder and Puck but i don't remember a tube of Williams cream.

Yes, I've seen tubes of Williams shaving cream. It contained lanolin:

proxy.php

I will have to look up puck lathering. It's not discussed alot. Alot of guys prefer face lathering now days, but with the wrong brush that can be a very prickly proposition.

Yes, I've seen tubes of Williams shaving cream. It contained lanolin:

proxy.php

I will have to look up puck lathering. It's not discussed alot. Alot of guys prefer face lathering now days, but with the wrong brush that can be a very prickly proposition.

Puck lathering is using a soaked then shaken brush swirled on a wet puck until a lather is created, adding water as needed to build a better lather.

Puck lathering is using a soaked then shaken brush swirled on a wet puck until a lather is created, adding water as needed to build a better lather.

I'll try that. Certain soaps (Van Der hagen) I can face lather easily, but something about my lathering bowl seems to kill the lather.

Finally got a long lasting lather from Williams. It was while trying out a repurposed mug. My brush was a Fine angel hair I'd used with Williams before. This time, after soaking (to warm the mug and brush - soaking doesn't do anything for synthetics), I poured the water from the mug, but didn't shake out the brush. Making lather took only a little longer than usual, nowhere near twice as long. Stopped when I felt resistance and saw I had a good lather.

This lather stayed on my face. No drying. Good slickness. Had enough for three passes. And didn't have to add anything to the soap but hot water.

I soaked my synthetic brush then started working the puck upside down only until the suds stop falling into the sink, then turned the bowl right side up and puck lather for another 15 seconds then face lathered. Perfection!

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom