What's new

Lathering MB Soaps - a little help???

So I got my Mama Bear Rosemary and Mint and Rosewood soaps in the mail today (thanks, MB!). Naturally, I hopped into the bathroom ASAP to try out the now famous Rosemary and Mint. But I had a real hell of a time trying to get the soap to lather up to anything even close to meringue-like! I don't have too much experience in soaps (I'm a new wetshaver who has been using mostly creams), but basically I just swirled my (very wet) C&E Best Badger brush around in the soap cake for at least 20-30 swirls before going to the (warmed, wet) bowl.

All I was able to get were some weak bubbles and a foam that seemed both dried out and overly watery. I played a bit with different amounts of water, but to no avail.

Why am I so bad at getting a good lather out of this stuff? The shave was pretty nice, and I loved the scent (so strong!) of both soaps - I want to make this work!

Thanks in advance to Sue and all the other B&Bers...

Greetings ros,

I would suspect too much water in the brush. You should at least let it drain so it is only dripping slowly, if at all. I generally start with a drier brush (after soaking it I give it a couple of shakes) as I find it much easier to add water than remove it.

Time spent experimenting with various water ratios should result in achieving copious amounts of fragrant lather.

Rik said:
Greetings ros,

I would suspect too much water in the brush. You should at least let it drain so it is only dripping slowly, if at all. I generally start with a drier brush (after soaking it I give it a couple of shakes) as I find it much easier to add water than remove it.
Time spent experimenting with various water ratios should result in achieving copious amounts of fragrant lather.
Yessir! Good advice.

Rik said:
Greetings ros,

Ditto!

With soaps I expect less meringue than creams. The lather is usually thinner.

Top Bottom