What's new

Lather

Does anyone else seem to think that letting the lather sit with the Brush in for a few minutes gets better lather? I'm using a badger at the moment and soak it for a while before lathering.

Does anyone else seem to think that letting the lather sit with the Brush in for a few minutes gets better lather? I'm using a badger at the moment and soak it for a while before lathering.
I have been shaving face and head over thirty years with badger, and last couple of years horse, and boar brushes as well. I have to sit the loaded brush a few different times during that much shaving and lathering. I have only noticed lather moisture to be effected with sitting. And only on some lathers. That moisture difference may be what you are referring to.

Second and third lather seems thicker than the first. Unless the Brush is still absorbing water from out of the lather?

Second and third lather seems thicker than the first. Unless the Brush is still absorbing water from out of the lather?
If you soak any animal hair brush in excess of ten minutes, like during a shower. The hair will be totally saturated, to the plug. After your initial lather load. Time and use also has moisture diminishing in some lathers. Keep your lathering the same and try a different soap. Compare differences in soap. Better soaps do not dry out or lose moisture as readily as some lower priced soap. This is not a criticism as much as a difference where more adjustments are required.

If you soak any animal hair brush in excess of ten minutes, like during a shower. The hair will be totally saturated, to the plug. After your initial lather load. Time and use also has moisture diminishing in some lathers. Keep your lathering the same and try a different soap. Compare differences in soap. Better soaps do not dry out or lose moisture as readily as some lower priced soap. This is not a criticism as much as a difference where more adjustments are required.
Thanks I'll give it a bash

I favor the hydration theory.

I add a drop or there of water to my brush between passes to maintain my preferred level of hydration.

Top Bottom