What's new

Lather

I’m really new to wet shaving so this may sound like a dumb question lol.
How the hell do these reviewers on you tube get that much lather? Am I doing something wrong? I have a boar omega brush which was cheap but no matter what I do I can’t seem to get enough lather for even the second pass.
For reference I’m using only 2 soaps
Stirling glacial Wintergreen and Proraso green.

What omega brush? My 22mm can't hold as much lather as my 24mm.

Also, note 2 things.

A) A new boar brush eats your lather. Nothing you can do about it except patiently breaking it in.

B) Even a well used boar requires more cream than a synthetic.

Lastly those youtubers spend a minute or so loading the crap out of their puck. A drier brush also helps, then add water as needed.

How long do you load your brush? You may not be adding enough soap to begin with and the boar brush most likely still needs breaking in.

I soak my omega boar while I’m showering. I shake the water out just to where it isn’t dripping. I load about 30 secs. in the Proraso rib and then go to my warm scuttle. I add water as necessary and in about a minute I have enough lather for 3 face passes and 2 head passes. My water isn’t real soft but isn’t real hard either. Water hardness will make a difference in lather production as well.

My boar is 5 months old and is used daily but it made good lather from day one and had only gotten better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What omega brush? My 22mm cant

I’m not sure just bought it at shoppers drug mart here in canada??
What omega brush? My 22mm can't hold as much lather as my 24mm.

Also, note 2 things.

A) A new boar brush eats your lather. Nothing you can do about it except patiently breaking it in.

B) Even a well used boar requires more cream than a synthetic.

Lastly those youtubers spend a minute or so loading the crap out of their puck. A drier brush also helps, then add water as needed.

I can try and build a lather for 1 minute and it’s like a paste and not much of it. The brush is only 3 shaves old maybe that’s the issue.

I soak my omega boar while I’m showering. I shake the water out just to where it isn’t dripping. I load about 30 secs. in the Proraso rib and then go to my warm scuttle. I add water as necessary and in about a minute I have enough lather for 3 face passes and 2 head passes. My water isn’t real soft but isn’t real hard either. Water hardness will make a difference in lather production as well.

My boar is 5 months old and is used daily but it made good lather from day one and had only gotten better.

I also soak mine in hot water while I shower. The Proraso I can definitely get a better lather than the stirling but it’s embarrassing compared to what I’ve seen.

How long do you load your brush? You may not be adding enough soap to begin with and the boar brush most likely still needs breaking in.
I do it right in the container and I try to build a lather for a good minute

Are you face lathering?

I used to soak my boar but have recently stopped. I just give it a quick dunk in the mug, a light shake, and begin loading soap. I find the hair starts out stiff, which is great for loading soap onto the brush. Then during the face lathering the hairs soften up. Makes enough lather for 3 passes. Btw I use a semogue 1250.

I can try and build a lather for 1 minute and it’s like a paste and not much of it. The brush is only 3 shaves old maybe that’s the issue.

Nowhere near enough water. You need more water and either race lather or bowl lather. Just load some soap on the brush from the tub. This is why I bowl lather, I find it easier to get the water/ soap ratio right.

And any small bowl in the house will work. It doesn’t have to be a custom shave scuttle.

Yes
Are you face lathering?

I used to soak my boar but have recently stopped. I just give it a quick dunk in the mug, a light shake, and begin loading soap. I find the hair starts out stiff, which is great for loading soap onto the brush. Then during the face lathering the hairs soften up. Makes enough lather for 3 passes. Btw I use a semogue 1250.
Yes I face lather. Maybe I’ll try that thank you. I’ve thought about buying a better brush but I’ve already gone down the rabbit hole buying razors. I’ll be divorced in no time lol

Let us know how it works out. And like others have said, add more water while building the lather. Also, don't put too much pressure on the brush. You want to make the lather with the tips of the brush.

Sounds like not enough water if you have a paste. Load the brush like you really want to use up that soap. The Shoppers Omega is sturdy and you can be aggressive with it. Switch to a new container and start with 1/2 to 1 tsp water.

If you want to build in the soap container, then don't shake the brush out nearly as much and make sure your face is dripping. Load soap on the damp brush until everything is a bit sudsy. Once loaded, you can build lather on your wet face.

Since that brush is very stiff and aggressive (I have one too) you may want to use a dessert / snack bowl as a shave bowl to build lather in until the brush breaks in more. Mine took at least 10-20 shaves to get softer. It never really loses its backbone/stiffness, but it will get significantly better over time, and it will hold much more lather. I use it when I want to use up a soap more quickly.

It is not a bad brush, but it will take a while to break in. It is also a more difficult brush to build lather with especially at first. Try the Omega Pro 49 sometime...its very different and similarly priced.

Conquer that brush! :)

Did anyone mention the hardness or the water? The reason I ask is because I was making great lather the first time I tried using inexpensive Van Der Hagan soap and a $12 PAA Atomic Rocket brush. I can't be that talented.

If it is the water quality, maybe pick up some distilled water at the market.

‘Load it like you hate it!’ Then, use more water than you think. The main thing is to get a lather that works well for you, rather than something that will impress the folks in the video! :a14::a14:

I just got the omega chunky Chubb today. When washing it I didn't notice a lot of backbone. And people say this is the king of backbone. I'm quite disappointed.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I’m really new to wet shaving so this may sound like a dumb question lol.
How the hell do these reviewers on you tube get that much lather? Am I doing something wrong? I have a boar omega brush which was cheap but no matter what I do I can’t seem to get enough lather for even the second pass.
For reference I’m using only 2 soaps
Stirling glacial Wintergreen and Proraso green.

First, people making videos and posting pictures generally make enough lather for 7 passes. It looks impressive, but no sane person does that at home.

There are only two ingredients for lather and it's possible you don't have enough of either, but you definitely don't load enough soap.

Some considerations:
If your brush is too dry it will take quite a bit longer to load adequate soap.
If your brush is too wet it will also, because you won't be able to put any pressure on the brush or you'll make a huge mess.
The size of your brush influences load time.
The amount of splay influences load time.

All that means number of seconds loading doesn't tell you much. I use large boar brushes well soaked and do two vertical shakes, then splay the brush a bit. With MdC it only takes me 12 seconds to load. It might take you 45 seconds with your set-up.

I suggest you do a few test lathers (soap is cheap).
1. Start with your brush somewhere between wet and dry, load what seems like a ridiculously large amount of soap. This will tell you if your load has been too short.
2. Palm lather (you don't need to irritate your face with this).
3. It will start off as paste. Add water (either dip the tips of the brush or put the brush down and let some water roll off your fingers. Incorporate the lather (swirl and such).
4. Keep adding a bit of water and building lather (shouldn't take more than about 10 seconds or so between adding water).
5. Pay attention. At some point in this process you are going to have beautiful lather. Keep adding water until you make the lather too thin (just so you know - use the good lather when you shave!)

If you do this once or twice you should have a pretty good idea about how much soap to load and how much water to add. It's not golf - you'll get this fairly quickly.

Top Bottom