What's new

Lather

Hello. Been DE shaving for about a week and want to make sure my lather is good. I keep seeing bubbles when I bowl mix and not sure if these bubbles are normal or signs that I need to keep mixing.
This is RazoRock Classic cream.

Attachments

• IMG_0811.JPG
    IMG_0811.JPG
    583.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0812.JPG
    IMG_0812.JPG
    544.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0813.JPG
    IMG_0813.JPG
    685.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0814.JPG
    IMG_0814.JPG
    287.2 KB · Views: 41
That looks pretty good to me. My lather is never 100% bubble free. Making lather is mixing air into the water & cream/soap after all. The main question is not about the appearance of the lather, it's about the performance. If it's slick and providing a good comfortable shave, then it's good lather.

So, not to get off-topic, but I remember you were struggling to decide on hardware. Are you going to tell us all what gear you ended up going with?

Thanks for asking.
I ended up with a Merkur 34C, Astra SP blades, a Semogue 1250 brush and ordered three different soaps from RazoRock (Classic, barbershop, and Son of Zeus).
I have been experiencing a pretty harsh rash on my neck...I think I am pushing which I shouldn't do. So Jumped back to the electric razor for a couple of days. I do still lather up each night, it feels so good!
If you have any suggestions on how to eliminate razor burn/bumps (besides not pushing) feel free to share those.
Also, @Whisky was kind enough to send me a ton of free blades. I will be trying different blades soon.

Thanks for asking.
I ended up with a Merkur 34C, Astra SP blades, a Semogue 1250 brush and ordered three different soaps from RazoRock (Classic, barbershop, and Son of Zeus).
I have been experiencing a pretty harsh rash on my neck...I think I am pushing which I shouldn't do. So Jumped back to the electric razor for a couple of days. I do still lather up each night, it feels so good!
If you have any suggestions on how to eliminate razor burn/bumps (besides not pushing) feel free to share those.
Also, @Whisky was kind enough to send me a ton of free blades. I will be trying different blades soon.

Nice. Good solid gear.

Less pressing, as noted. I'd guess most guys coming off of electrics are particularly prone to pressing way too hard.
Map your beard growth and stick with one WTG pass until you get the hang of it.
One thing that I caught myself doing at the beginning is when I was doing my neck I would move my hand/wrist to swipe the razor across the skin, thereby changing the angle of the blade in relation to my skin, rather than holding a static angle and moving my entire arm to move the razor around my neck. I hope that makes sense to you, I'm having a hard time thinking of how to explain what I mean.

Nice. Good solid gear.

Less pressing, as noted. I'd guess most guys coming off of electrics are particularly prone to pressing way too hard.
Map your beard growth and stick with one WTG pass until you get the hang of it.
One thing that I caught myself doing at the beginning is when I was doing my neck I would move my hand/wrist to swipe the razor across the skin, thereby changing the angle of the blade in relation to my skin, rather than holding a static angle and moving my entire arm to move the razor around my neck. I hope that makes sense to you, I'm having a hard time thinking of how to explain what I mean.
I understand what you are saying. I will watch for that as well.
Thank you for your help.

Ty it with less water. That will cut down on airiness.

+1 Just start with a drier brush and add the water a few drops at a time.

A lot of bubbles usually means too much water--but I'm not seeing them in your pics. Your lather looks good: yogurty rather than fluffy. Carry on.

Forget about how it looks and evaluate how it performs. There are some soaps I use the work better when they are thinner and contain more water. The lather may not look great - but sure works.

Forget about how it looks and evaluate how it performs. There are some soaps I use the work better when they are thinner and contain more water. The lather may not look great - but sure works.

+1

It's worth it to add more water than you think it needs for a shave or two and evaluate how that changes the performance. I've also got a couple soaps and creams that give the best performance when I take them to the point where I think that more water will ruin them, then add a few more drops.

Thanks everyone. I have been creating a nice slick lather this week and am pretty happy with it.
I am still working on the razor burn on my lower neck...I need to stop putting pressure on the skin when I shave. Old habits die hard.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Looks a bit "airy" to me. Make sure that after you soak your brush you shake out the excess water, you want to start with a damp brush and add more water only if necessary. All products lather differently and you'll get it down after some practice...

GL!

Top Bottom