What's new

Lather & Wood

I've only been DE shaving for a few months so i know my opinion doesn't carry a lot of weight but....

A while back discovered a Sandlewood pre-shave oil from the Lather & Wood Shaving Co. I absolutely loved the scent. It literally smelled like fresh cut lumber and saw dust. It's amazing. It's a great pre-shave oil too. I just got their Aftershave balm and I love it as well. It goes on smooth and doesn't leave any oily residue. The scent is perfect. Smells like wood and is not overbearing. I highly recommend it. Anyone else have any thoughts?

razorock sandlewood soap smells like this to cut wood to me. but a lot of people do not liek that sandalwood scent they like more fo a cologne version like aos or taylor od old bond street sandalwood. i personally love the aos version. but i really like the smell of fresh cut wood its why i use the razorock a lot. its a smell between cut wood and moss to me it smells as i am cutting lumber for a fire at a cabin we use to go to when i was a kid.

razorock sandlewood soap smells like this to cut wood to me. but a lot of people do not liek that sandalwood scent they like more fo a cologne version like aos or taylor od old bond street sandalwood. i personally love the aos version. but i really like the smell of fresh cut wood its why i use the razorock a lot. its a smell between cut wood and moss to me it smells as i am cutting lumber for a fire at a cabin we use to go to when i was a kid.

I'll have to check that out too. I have the TOBS sandalwood aftershave and you're right it is more on the cologne side of things. For me the scent is too strong. I need something more subdued. That's why I like the Lather & Wood, but I will definitely give the razorock a shot.

I've only been DE shaving for a few months so i know my opinion doesn't carry a lot of weight but....

A while back discovered a Sandlewood pre-shave oil from the Lather & Wood Shaving Co. I absolutely loved the scent. It literally smelled like fresh cut lumber and saw dust. It's amazing. It's a great pre-shave oil too. I just got their Aftershave balm and I love it as well. It goes on smooth and doesn't leave any oily residue. The scent is perfect. Smells like wood and is not overbearing. I highly recommend it. Anyone else have any thoughts?

I have a bottle of the sandalwood and I also love the scent. I've been looking for an aftershave with the same smell. Captain's Choice Sandalwood AS is very similar, but the scent does not last very long. Ogallala Bay Rum and Sandalwood lasts all day, but it does not smell like the Lather & Wood balm. The Ogallala AS has it's own, unique fragrance, which I also enjoy. It's not in the cologne side of things, but it is not in the Lather & Wood side either. It's more in the Bay Rum side of things. :001_huh:

Let me know if you find anything else that smells like the L&W balm.

Sandalwood is a very traditional & popular scent in men's products. Sandalwood shave soaps are very popular and go way back. Many of my favorite colognes have a sandalwood basenote. Captain's Choice Sandalwood is my favorite. His aftershave and soap are just great.

Are you after only dry sandalwood scents, or does your love of wood smells include cedar? The best cedar I've found is in an aftershave balm from the Mama Bear's shop. Dry, not sweet and cologne-like. But it is strong, which might not be your thing. For a straight-up cedar cologne, I like D.R. Harris Marlborough. It's not real strong, and it isn't polluted with a lot of secondary notes. Some people don't like it and say it smells like a dirty ashtray or some such thing, but I don't get that at all.

Chiseled Face has a soap/aftershave called Cedar & Spice, it is one of the best cedar scents I have come across. There is almost a smokiness to it, very nice. It reminds me of a sauna.

Chiseled Face has a soap/aftershave called Cedar & Spice...
I own that one. I guess either my nose or my skin chemistry is different. I get a very chemical smell from the CF aftershave and very little cedar, though that chemical/spice concoction does fade in a few minutes to reveal a lackluster cedar, IMO. To each his own.

Are you after only dry sandalwood scents, or does your love of wood smells include cedar? The best cedar I've found is in an aftershave balm from the Mama Bear's shop. Dry, not sweet and cologne-like. But it is strong, which might not be your thing. For a straight-up cedar cologne, I like D.R. Harris Marlborough. It's not real strong, and it isn't polluted with a lot of secondary notes. Some people don't like it and say it smells like a dirty ashtray or some such thing, but I don't get that at all.

The Marlborough aftershave does smell like an ashtray when you first put it on. I used to smoke cigarettes and I still smoke cigars, so I know an ashtray when I smell one -- I could not believe what I was smelling the first time I splashed some Marlborough AS. :w00t: Luckily, after a couple of minutes, the ashtray smell goes away and the remaining scent is quite good.

The Marlborough aftershave does smell like an ashtray when you first put it on. I used to smoke cigarettes and I still smoke cigars, so I know an ashtray when I smell one -- I could not believe what I was smelling the first time I splashed some Marlborough AS. :w00t: Luckily, after a couple of minutes, the ashtray smell goes away and the remaining scent is quite good.

Yeah, I don't know if I'm digging the possibility of an ashtray/tobacco smell, but I am intrigued with a cedar fragrance, so long as it is more of a natural scent than a chemical Cologne type scent. That's what turned me off to TOBS Sandlewood aftershave.

Yeah, I don't know if I'm digging the possibility of an ashtray/tobacco smell, but I am intrigued with a cedar fragrance, so long as it is more of a natural scent than a chemical Cologne type scent. That's what turned me off to TOBS Sandlewood aftershave.
Haha...the ashtray smell goes away after a while. What remains smells really nice, but it is very different than the fragrance of the Lather & Wood balm. I also think that the balm's scent is perfect. I hope I can find a product with the same smell that lasts longer -- on my face, the Lather & Wood scent dissipates in about an hour. The Ogallala Bay Rum and Sandalwood AS lasts all day long.

Top Bottom