What's new

Lather Temperature

P

PortsmouthDavid

Here's a question about hot water and shaving soap.

Lately I've been alternating between Nancy Boy shave cream and D.R. Harris shaving soap. Both great products, IMHO.

However, I've been noticing that I can use hotter water when making lather with Nancy Boy than I can tolerate with shaving soap.

If I use very hot water and the D.R. Harris shaving soap, it seems to irritate my face, whereas it doesn't seem to matter how hot I go with the Nancy Boy. (I have also had the same experience with other shaving soaps).

I get great shaves from both, it's just a slightly different technique. Hotter water + shaving soap seems to irritate my face.

Anyone else notice anything similar?

David

PortsmouthDavid said:
Here's a question about hot water and shaving soap.

Lately I've been alternating between Nancy Boy shave cream and D.R. Harris shaving soap. Both great products, IMHO.

However, I've been noticing that I can use hotter water when making lather with Nancy Boy than I can tolerate with shaving soap.

If I use very hot water and the D.R. Harris shaving soap, it seems to irritate my face, whereas it doesn't seem to matter how hot I go with the Nancy Boy. (I have also had the same experience with other shaving soaps).

I get great shaves from both, it's just a slightly different technique. Hotter water + shaving soap seems to irritate my face.

Anyone else notice anything similar?

David

David,

I agree the hotter water can be a contributor to irritation with some shaving products. I also think chlorine in tap water may be a contributor to those of us that have sensitive skin on our face. I just started a new thread yesterday called, "Need Help Understanding pH of Creams & Soaps" in the General section. I think the pH of the water may be a contributor as well. I plan on testing my tap water. I am also going to buy some distilled water and make lather with it and see if I can tell a differrence. I've experimented with razors, creams, soaps, etc....why not the water???

I also like D.R. Harris but I can tell you that Nancy Boy is my #1 cream and I can do almost anything when using NB and not get any irritation. If I end up with irritated skin due to a cream/soap not agreeing with me, I just use NB the next day and it calms my skin right down. But this thread is about hot water, not NB!

David,

I would say it's more of the product that you are using than the water itself. There are certain products that give my face a little less comfort than others. Note: I don't say irritation because if my face gets irritated by a product, it either goes in the trash can or on the trade forum.

A lot of your results has to do with the quality of products you're using and how your skin individually responds to each product. Usually, you should try to get the water as hot as you can stand because it will yield a much better shave. Also, to build meringue like lather, hot water is essential. Creams for me personally always produce better results than soaps. Hot water also keeps the pores of the skin open and that is crucial to getting an irritation free shave. If you can, spend some time on prep work (hot towels soaked in piping hot water wrapped around your face for a while) prior to using the DR Harris products and see if you notice any difference.

Also, lastly, you mentioned chlorine in the water. Hard water is a lather killer, and if you don't have good lather, you're going to get sub-par shaves. If your water is terrible, (which if you're in a major city, it probably is), then you can certainly try the distilled water route. You will see major differences, especially in the ease of lather. When I spend the night at my folks place, they have a nice water filtration/softener system and man, building lather is a cinch. All in all, no matter what, you will certainly tell a huge difference if you use distilled water to build your lather.

If you want that little extra umph, (or that BIG extra umph), try the distilled water in a hot pot. You'll have lather FLYING out of your shave bowl. It'll look like a cozy cool whip mountain.

Nancy Boy products are fantastic too, so no problem plugging them! NB cream is in my rotation constantly.

Top Bottom