What's new

Lather sweet spot

I just experienced an INCREDIBLE shave! I really focused on the quality of my lather this morning. What a difference it made in the quality of my shave. I started really slow and added water to my lather until it was about perfect. It made all of the difference in the world. The shave was amazing how comfortable it ended up. I feel like I've had an epiphany in shaving. No weepers and my face isn't on fire. Right now I think I finally understand the importance of the lather.

Nice work. Sounds like you're making great progress. Good lather is important as it is the lubricant that both softens your beard and provides the glide cushion for your blade.

I have found that I like my lather a little thin. I agree that it is worth the time to get it right! It has been a long time since I have used a thicker lather. Maybe I should try it again to see if my opinion would change

Lather is definitely very important.

When I first started shaving in my teens, I would lather once, shave with a cartridge, and then touch up with no lather. I had no concept of multiple pass shaves. It seems so elementary but the thought never crossed my mind to lather up a second or even third time and shave in a different direction.

Now, I can't imagine shaving without a good lather. It takes me a bit to get a good, slick lather from a soap puck but the results are worth it. I live in Kentucky, and while our naturally limestone-filtered water is great for making bourbon, it can make lathering a shave soap slightly difficult, but not impossible.

I've been using the Bigelow labeled Proraso cream for the past week and that stuff makes awesome lather very quickly, which I appreciate in the mornings when I'm crunched for time.

As someone who's still trying to refine technique in every which way, I congratulate you! I haven't been very impressed with half of my lathers.

While I wait for my new razor to come in, I've been goofing around with lathering and just using a cartridge razor.

Even without a nice DE, I'm still getting much better shaves out of the cartridge than I ever did before when I did use lather. And I've been working on my technique, which admittedly isnt hard but its still something to do while I wait for my razor :)

Glad it's working out for you!

Yep, lather is very important to the quality of the shave. For too long I didn't add enough water to my lather either
Glad you found the sweet spot!

Top Bottom