What's new

Lather Secrets: Location, location, location

I've just returned from a two-week business trip through Europe, during which I conducted an exhaustive (and yet totally unscientific) study of the effects of different water supplies on the quality of lather produced.

The conclusion: It matters a heck of a lot. More, IMHO, than the quality of brush or soap used.

I found, for instance, that straight municipal water in London, UK produced far better lather than does the highly-softened water I have here in the mid-western US - using identical equipment, supplies, and technique. A hot, wet brush loaded with soap produced thick, creamy lather with just a few seconds of face-lathering. Results were even better in the Southwest UK, less so in northern France. Worst of all in eastern Germany. But still all better than the results I get with US softened water.

We would do well to keep this sort of thing in mind when offering advice or giving hints to those struggling with brush-lathering. The fault, Dear Brutus, lies not in our wrists but in our wells.*

On the other hand: Not EVERYTHING was great as far as European bathrooms are concerned. British and French toilets are, IMHO, revolting - usually requring the use of a brush after nearly every use. Water pressure was uneven, temperature control haphazard. Bathroom tissue ranged from American-plush to crinkly-unpleasant. And for some reason, many European bathroom engineers seem not to have mastered the concept of the mixer faucet: instead of having one spout, from which issues water whose temperature one can moderate, one is faced with two: giving you the choice of rinsing your face or washing your hands with water that is either scalding hot or bonechilling cold.

*In case you're wondering about this paraphrase

I never understood separate spouts. I guess the idea used to be to fill the sink with water from both spouts and wash yourself with the resulting warm water. But you need a clean sink for that and I'm not going to be doing it in a public setting.

I'm surprised that you find fairly hard London tap easier to lather with than mid western soft, by definition this should not be the case.

And for some reason, many European bathroom engineers seem not to have mastered the concept of the mixer faucet: instead of having one spout, from which issues water whose temperature one can moderate, one is faced with two: giving you the choice of rinsing your face or washing your hands with water that is either scalding hot or bonechilling cold.

Maybe they mastered it and the dual is much better than the single ? In Europe we are able to adjust the tempreture of the water on both kind of them:)

I live in 2 places, one has hard, sticky (yes sticky) water which kills lather, even in a bath with half a bottle of soap!

And the other location where a drop produces so much lather its over flowing and going out the door.

Obviously the later produdes better quality lather (soft water).

I know in germany I couldn't get a decent lather but I will let you know what its like in Savannah Georgia next week compared to good old ireland!

Pierce

And for some reason, many European bathroom engineers seem not to have mastered the concept of the mixer faucet: instead of having one spout, from which issues water whose temperature one can moderate, one is faced with two: giving you the choice of rinsing your face or washing your hands with water that is either scalding hot or bonechilling cold.

Really? I've NEVER seen that in Europe. Mind you I've only been to Portugal and a bit of Spain. Maybe they just figured it out sooner there. Then again, my grandmothers house is in a really rural old area, and they've always had mixer faucets there.

I remember the ONE time I ever encountered separate faucets. I was astonished, and couldn't understand why someone would ever do that. It was in a public bathroom in a university theater, which in general, was very weird.

I've also noticed that my mileage varies depending on which cream/soap I use. Some are more tolerant of hard water than others. Which products has everyone been using in these locations?

When is the last time you checked your "soft" water at home?

I live in the S.W here in the U.S and the water is as hard as nails and gives very poor lather but with my water softener soap lathers like crazy.

Really? I've NEVER seen that in Europe. Mind you I've only been to Portugal and a bit of Spain. Maybe they just figured it out sooner there. Then again, my grandmothers house is in a really rural old area, and they've always had mixer faucets there.

Here in Portugal we're a developed country!!! Mixer faucets here but till the end of 80s 2 faucets was de rigueur...

Your grandma' was Portuguese?!:thumbup: North, south?!

Top Bottom