What's new

Lather POTD Thread

I am just in love with making lather. I don't really know what perfect lather looks like but I keep practicing. I love taking lather pics and love to look and compare.

This is the lost your lather pics thread.

My first pic is PAA unscented.

Attachments

• 20211117_173148.jpg
    20211117_173148.jpg
    478.8 KB · Views: 16
In the thumbnail the first one looks like in came out of a soft serve machine. Not meant to be an insult, very creative. Was literally closing this tab dang it...

Hey, since you are here I had an idea the other day. If you do end up getting a Mitchells refill puck, you could use your pirate bowl to store/load it in now that you are using a different bowl to lather.

Hey, since you are here I had an idea the other day. If you do end up getting a Mitchells refill puck, you could use your pirate bowl to store/load it in now that you are using a different bowl to lather.
Great idea! Also I have cool tea tins I can use that have lids. That's what u use for the Vander hagen.

I definitely need more soaps to try. This is becoming my favorite part of the hobby. I didn't even shave my legs today. Just made lather.

Are there lather sample packs like blades?

Coincidently, Pasteur has MdC samples and The Fat in stock. Maggards has soap samples, but I bet they are all scented.

As long as you are having fun
I am having so much fun. I can't believe how long this Vander hagen is lasting.

Also I am starting to like PAA more that I am figuring out how to use it, but its still closer than I think it should be to the cheap stuff.

I am having so much fun. I can't believe how long this Vander hagen is lasting.

Also I am starting to like PAA more that I am figuring out how to use it, but its still closer than I think it should be to the cheap stuff.
There are a lot of factors that come into play that you may not notice, at least until something goes wrong. One fun exercise is to test residual slickness by applying lather and wiping it off. Then using a damp hand feel how slippery the skin surface is. Another is to test lather stability by applying lather to the back of your hand and leave it for a period of time and see how long it takes to fizz out. A variation of that to dial in water amount is to apply lather then add some more water and apply that lather next to the first and continue as many times as you like. If you haven't added enough water, the lather will collapse quickly. If you are aiming for the wettest lather possible, this allows you to sneak up on it.

There are indeed shaving soap (not lather) samples available for purchase. I don't use them but I am sure there are others here who can point you in the right direction on where to buy them.
Fantastic. I liked my blade sampler. There are a couple from Amazom, but its usually the same manufacturer.

Check Maggards. They have a pretty comprehensive selection of samples, both of soaps and creams. Most of them are $2-$3 so it’s easy and inexpensive to try a lot of different things.

Top Bottom