What's new

Lather Optimization Updates

Is Haslinger on your to-do list? I'm actually preferring the slightly less popular scented Haslingers to the sheepsmilk plain soap but they are all top notch in my view. Good to see Proraso Single edge up near the top of your ranking. Love them and proraso white cream too

Is Haslinger on your to-do list? I'm actually preferring the slightly less popular scented Haslingers to the sheepsmilk plain soap but they are all top notch in my view. Good to see Proraso Single edge up near the top of your ranking. Love them and proraso white cream too

Haslinger is not in line yet. I'm willing to try it. After the soap that I'm working on right now, I've got a cream and then a soap in line, but that's it. Wheneven I get a donation, it gets in line. :001_smile

Yeah, Proraso Single Blade is good. I didn't care as much for Proraso Red, but I'd be up for evaluating Proraso White. Maybe the white version wouldn't cause me the irritation that the red did.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Always look forward to your updates/results.

I noticed that in several of your test that you mention irritation. Is this from the soap base or lack of lubricity/protection? If from the soap base, I would consider only testing the unscented version of a soap base when available. For example, Mike's Natural Barbershop caused some irritation that his Orange, Cedar Black Pepper doesn't. Same with several other manufacturers. Not all manufacturers offer an unscented version though.

Always look forward to your updates/results.

I noticed that in several of your test that you mention irritation. Is this from the soap base or lack of lubricity/protection? If from the soap base, I would consider only testing the unscented version of a soap base when available. For example, Mike's Natural Barbershop caused some irritation that his Orange, Cedar Black Pepper doesn't. Same with several other manufacturers. Not all manufacturers offer an unscented version though.

Thanks, @shavefan, for the trade and for the good advice. I prefer to evaluate unscented soaps and creams, but like you said, some (most?) manufacturers don't offer them. Also, when I'm offered samples to evaluate for free, I gratefully take what I can get and the vast majority of guys have scented products. So, I haven't evaluated an unscented product in a long time. The problem with getting irritation is precisely what you said. You usually can't say for certain whether it is from the base or not unless you've evaluated the unscented base or another version or know that certain fragrance/essential oils don't bother your skin. I've been frustrated by this issue.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Thanks, @shavefan, for the trade and for the good advice. I prefer to evaluate unscented soaps and creams, but like you said, some (most?) manufacturers don't offer them. Also, when I'm offered samples to evaluate for free, I gratefully take what I can get and the vast majority of guys have scented products. So, I haven't evaluated an unscented product in a long time. The problem with getting irritation is precisely what you said. You usually can't say for certain whether it is from the base or not unless you've evaluated the unscented base or another version or know that certain fragrance/essential oils don't bother your skin. I've been frustrated by this issue.

And thank you for the trade.

I know from experience how frustrating it can be. It took me a long while and some good money trying to figure out how to get a good comfortable shave from the Italian classic croaps like Cella, Boellis, Vitos, etc. Only to conclude that the almond "scent" benzaldehyde, common in many of these soaps, really irritates my skin. Live, learn...

And thank you for the trade.

I know from experience how frustrating it can be. It took me a long while and some good money trying to figure out how to get a good comfortable shave from the Italian classic croaps like Cella, Boellis, Vitos, etc. Only to conclude that the almond "scent" benzaldehyde, common in many of these soaps, really irritates my skin. Live, learn...

Good investigative work, there. I'm hoping to figure things like that out in time.

Haslinger is not in line yet. I'm willing to try it. After the soap that I'm working on right now, I've got a cream and then a soap in line, but that's it. Wheneven I get a donation, it gets in line. :001_smile

Yeah, Proraso Single Blade is good. I didn't care as much for Proraso Red, but I'd be up for evaluating Proraso White. Maybe the white version wouldn't cause me the irritation that the red did.

Afraid I can't be donating from deepest Poland. The postal system is...unique. Proraso white is for sensitive skin, so that may help. Plus I find their creams better than their soaps and I see you tried the Red soap.

Afraid I can't be donating from deepest Poland. The postal system is...unique. Proraso white is for sensitive skin, so that may help. Plus I find their creams better than their soaps and I see you tried the Red soap.

No problem, @Blood donor. Thanks for the tip about Proraso white. Based on what Proraso says about their "soap in a jar" versus their "soap in a tube", it looks like it is the same thing, except that the soap in a jar has been matured for 10 days for more water evaporation, while the soap in a tube has been matured for 3 days. Theoretically, I'd be able to produce the same lather with different water-to-soap ratios.

PM me your address and I’ll get some Haslinger your way. Anything else you might like to lather up? I might have it.

Top Bottom