What's new

Lather Issues

I've recently noticed an interesting phenomenon. Whenever I work a lather for too long (doesn't matter if it is soap or cream) I can eventually reach a point where I have huge billows of lather but it is extremely dry and not very lubricating. If I try to add water, I get a soupy mess. The only solution is to either add a little more cream to my face and rework it or make a few more passes across the soap puck. This is a problem I have only noticed since beginning the use of 30mm knot brush. It isn't something I struggle with, just something I noticed while experimenting with my lather build. Has anyone else run across this end result?

Kyle

Yeah, I have seen that. Depends on the cream or soap. For instance, Taylors will never do that (for me), but Nancy Boy will. You get evaporation as you whip it up, and it becomes drier and drier. If you add water and the bubble matrix is not strong, it all collapses on itself.

Kyle and Scotto,

I'm starting to think that maybe smaller brushes are better for me, especially with silver tips, as the bigger ones actually hold too much water. I end up flicking a good bit of the water out of the brush before getting a good lather going and it doesn't seem to matter whether I'm using my Taylor's or Classic soaps, both of which I think are excellent (although I did just order some D.R. Harris and, Truefitt and Hill soaps). I can see why some prefer the pure or best badger brushes because of this (holding less water).
I just received a Vulfix #374 brush today (FedEx man just left). It's a silver tip "super" badger but with a 20 mm. knot. I'm anxious to compare it to my Vulfix #2234 silver tip with a 22 mm. knot. I'm anticipating it will be just about right. I'll let you know.

Tom

Scotto,

Taylor's cream is the first place I noticed this occurrence. It only happens, however, when I make my lather in a bowl. When I do it on my face, the Taylor's is fine.

Kyle

I am nor such a fan of large brushes either. At one point I was - but I got tired of wasting so much product... I find myself using my Simpson Persian Jar 2 more than any other brush I have right now - seems to be the PERFECT size for soaps, creams and my face!

The large brush is the ticket for me. I also shave my head (though not with a DE) and find that the 30mm brush makes the perfect amount of lather to do both face and head.

Kyle

straightman said:
I'm starting to think that maybe smaller brushes are better for me, especially with silver tips, as the bigger ones actually hold too much water. I end up flicking a good bit of the water out of the brush before getting a good lather going and it doesn't seem to matter whether I'm using my Taylor's or Classic soaps, both of which I think are excellent (although I did just order some D.R. Harris and, Truefitt and Hill soaps). I can see why some prefer the pure or best badger brushes because of this (holding less water).

Tom

I always flick a good amout of water before I start to build a lather, then I add water as I go.

Top Bottom