What's new

Lather in a seperate bowl?

I have seen several posts where the brush is "loaded" with soap then the actual lather is built in a seperate bowl. I have been beating the stuff up right on top of the soap. Am I doing it wrong or does one work as well as the other?

Ah, to each his own, young grasshopper. For the true cognoscenti, however, the Great Heaping Gobs of Cool Whip (tm) associated with a bowl are to be savored. It isn't a success until you have enough lather to shave six other gentlemen. :wink:

Seriously, though, whatever works for you. I start on the soap, then hit the bowl.

Scotto said:
Ah, to each his own, young grasshopper. For the true cognoscenti, however, the Great Heaping Gobs of Cool Whip (tm) associated with a bowl are to be savored. It isn't a success until you have enough lather to shave six other gentlemen. :wink:

Seriously, though, whatever works for you. I start on the soap, then hit the bowl.
Ditto.

Yep, what Scotto said! I can get much better lather, not to mention more of it, by using a seperate bowl!

May be why I have yet to see the copious amounts of lather others have bragged about (Although what I get seems to work well, but what do I know). I'll give it a try. Many thanks to the guru's of the bowl and blade.

Cutthroat said:
May be why I have yet to see the copious amounts of lather others have bragged about (Although what I get seems to work well, but what do I know). I'll give it a try. Many thanks to the guru's of the bowl and blade.

Good idea. I was once (and still may be) a young grasshopper at Ron's School of Lathering. After a short stint, I have been able to create volumes of luxurious lather on a regular basis. Since I do not know the exact link, I'll say that I start by letting the brush drain of all excess water (without shaking). I then get to lathering on the soap dish while hovering over the "mixing" bowl to catch the excess water. After adequate lathering on the soap dish I proceed to continue in the mixing bowl. This process takes a little bit longer than before my days of enlightenment but I will say may shaves have benefit immensely. Good luck.

It is an issue of separate but unequal. The use of a (separate) bowl, while truly a personal issue, provides the opportunity for more efficacious outcomes when you are crossing into the world of variety. It is far easier to see the balance of water to soap in a bowl and correct a poor mix than it is after you have coated your visage with a less than ideal lather (that's a glacis for all you Austin folk:001_tt2: ).

I just lather on top of the soap cake. I have tried the separate bowl, and don't feel the extra time or clean-up warrant its use. Furthermore, I didn't see much difference in the quality of lather between the two methods.

Drew

When I play racquetball like I did this morning, I lather in side my soap bowl then when I re-lather, I go right back to the bowl that already has a full load of lather.

My method:

I thorougly wet my brush in a shaving bowl of Pllison under the hottest streaming water possible; than i let the bowl standing filled with the hot water; i gently shake my brush out until there's no more water dripping out of it.
Next i take my pewter mug in which is a cake of soap; i take my brush and build a lather in it and apply it on my face.

I pour the water out of my Plisson bowl and leave a couple of ml behind; i put a dollop of cream on my brush and build my second lather in my Plisson bowl and lather up again on my face.

So: i use soap as well as cream and two separate bowls. Mixing of scents is no problem for me. I spill most of the lather in the sink but oh well, got enough in my cupboard to shave until my 156 birthday.....

Peter

Don't forget the type of bowl can make a huge difference!

I suggest a half-kilned ceramic model that was hand thrown in between the pearly white thighs of a beautiful young maiden.................oh wait, sorry, wrong forum!:tongue:

Just razzin' ya. I too quickly went from trying to lather on face, to in a mug and then to bowl. Took me ages to find the right bowl though! Oh dammit, I won't go there again!:biggrin:

Andy,
The only shaving soap I lather directly on my face is that from the QED shaving sticks. I end up putting my brush back into a (lathering) bowl after the first pass lather for subsequent passes.

guenron said:
Andy,
The only shaving soap I lather directly on my face is that from the QED shaving sticks. I end up putting my brush back into a (lathering) bowl after the first pass lather for subsequent passes.

Coincidentally Ron, a few of those QED shave soaps are next up on my list of purchases. They strike me as being ideal for travel.

woodbane said:
Coincidentally Ron, a few of those QED shave soaps are next up on my list of purchases. They strike me as being ideal for travel.
I am not going to tell you what I favor as I have too many favorites, but ...:blush:

woodbane said:
Actually, I was rather hoping you would tell!:biggrin:
Okay, okay! If you are buying two or more:
  • Pine and Cedarwood
  • Grapefruit and Peppermint
:w00t:

Four or More then add:
  • Sandalwood
  • Special 218
:w00t:

So there!:001_rolle

Top Bottom