What's new

Lather Help

Ok, so I periodically run into a specific problem with my soaps (very rarely with creams) where the lather isn't slick.

It doen't happen all the time, but sometimes it is very noticeable and I get all kinds of dragging and skipping with the razor.

Is there one problem that causes this?

I figure it's the soap-water ratio that I'm missing, but I don't know which way to go to fix it... more water, less water?:confused:

Some detail on how you lather up the soap might help. In any case, using the Old Lathermeister's (tm) soap technique has never failed me. To wit:

Soak your brush in hot water
Hold brush upside down until water stops dripping out*
Hold soap at an angle over your lathering bowl
Work the soap, letting the excess water flow into the lathering bowl
Get the brush really good and soapy ("proto-lather" as I like to call it)
Put soap down and lather up in the bowl, getting copious, gorgeous lather

*you may need to give a shake or two depending on your specific circumstances, so play around

Scotto said:
Hold soap at an angle over your lathering bowl

Ok, I've never done this one so I'll give it a whirl.

Just FYI:

I soak the brush.
Usually give it a small shake.
Lather the soap in the dish (swirling and pumping) until I've got some good lather.
Move to the bowl and continue swirling and pumping.
Add water a few drops at a time as needed.

Maybe, I'll skip the small shake and try your suggestion above. The thing that has me puzzled is that it isn't an everyday problem.

Ok, so I used the 'no shake' and hold it over the bowl method (yes I came home from work and practiced making lather:blushing:)

The lather started out REAL soupy and after quite a few minutes of whipping I got a pretty good lather... I think for my Vulfix 2234 I probably need to give it a mini-shake.

But, I did learn that it takes a WHOLE lot more water than I ever thought and a LOT more whipping time. I always kinda thought that adding water would 'cut' the soap too much and make it lose it's slickness... apparently the soap can a lot more water than I thought.

As the Lathermeister pointed out to me "It is wetshaving". I think a mistake many make is shaking too much water out of their brush. Just as ada found out, even if it starts out a little too runny, keep whipping it in the bowl and voila! Wonderful, rich lather will be your reward!

I suggest doing a 10-15 extra swirls on the soap in the beginning when you're starting out and trying to figure out how to generate great lather.

I actually find that lathering right on the facer--roo works best for me. Don't know why--I think the bowl is more elegant but for practical purposes, my face is a great latherer.

Top Bottom