What's new

Lather drying on my face

That is just covering up for poor lather. Get your lather right and you can have that cushion and slickness. I always moisturise after the shave which keeps the skin in good condition.

But it’s not a bad idea I guess for beginners no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is just covering up for poor lather. Get your lather right and you can have that cushion and slickness. I always moisturise after the shave which keeps the skin in good condition.
Yes it sounds like it’s an issue with your lather, make sure you’re making a yoghurt consistency nice and creamy, it might be water to soap ratio is a bit out. I’d advise loading your brush with more soap than you actually need, then adding water slowly till you get the right consistency. good luck :001_smile

You can also add some drops of preshave oil during the building up process

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

Yes it sounds like it’s an issue with your lather, make sure you’re making a yoghurt consistency nice and creamy, it might be water to soap ratio is a bit out. I’d advise loading your brush with more soap than you actually need, then adding water slowly till you get the right consistency. good luck :001_smile

Also agree. More soap first then adding up water slowly.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

But it’s not a bad idea I guess for beginners no?

Not quite a month later, my shaves are much better- including my lather. I no longer use conditioner- but I would if I was continuing to have problems with lather. For beginners, if there is a lather problem, I would still recommend it until the lather issue is under control. But I recognize that's probably a minority voice, and I don't dispute that it's the voice of inexperience- as I've only been straight shaving a couple of months.

You know what? Whatever works.. this is such an individual hobby.. each face and environment are so different! The most important thing is that one is tuning into what works, and what makes better shaves for you. JM

My experience is that good soaps and their corresponding lathers stay pretty moist and lovely. My first soap was a TOBS soap that I used for months until I purchased my first artisan soap. I now have about 20 artisans soaps and the TOBS is gone for the very reason you mentioned. My morning shave routine is almost like a good meditation. :innocent:

How many of you don't shower or wash face before shaving? Being the cheap bastard I am, I try to kill two birds with one stone: wash my face and get a shave. So I apply lather all over my face and use the brush to "exfoliate". I find the first lather tends to dry up before I'm done with my first pass. Not a very big problem, as my first pas is WTG.

Just curious if others are similar and how they overcome this.

You know what? Whatever works.. this is such an individual hobby.. each face and environment are so different! The most important thing is that one is tuning into what works, and what makes better shaves for you. JM
I agree very much with you on this. I understand being very particular in how one does things individually, but as you said, this is an individual hobby. I'd be amazed to learn there was a group of guys that get together and shave together for the love of shaving. That seems to be the kind of thing that only really happens out of necessity (ie: military service or something- and you don't get a straight or any kind of artisan soap for that.) But being new to it, I do like to get on here and learn from guys who've been at it awhile- hear opposing conclusions and how people came to them. In a section on lather I found it interesting to find two different models held up as great examples for lather building: one in which water was squeezed out of the brush before moving onto the soap and one in which water continued to be added.

What does TOBS stand for? I didn't see it in any of the newbie 'acronym orientation' threads.
Taylor of Old Bond Street. BTW - as others have said and will continue to say, shaving is very personal. I agree. Some guys swear by TOBS shaving soap, and others don't. It depends on many factors.

Hi all,
I have been wet shaving almost 2 months now. I started with Cremo, then changed to T0BS cream because I like the lather. My problem is even if my lather is runny, it still dries fast and I have to re-lather for each area. Do I need to use more product? Cremo was the same. I do shave slowly......
Thanks in advance for the help.
Doug

Do you properly hydrate your face before the shave, if you feel dryness that might be the usual issue, otherwise lathering doesn't leave the face for quite a couple of minutes, do you applying the shaving cream directly to your face or by bowl first?

Do you properly hydrate your face before the shave, if you feel dryness that might be the usual issue, otherwise lathering doesn't leave the face for quite a couple of minutes, do you applying the shaving cream directly to your face or by bowl first?
I spoke to fast, my apology. I was assuming that your face and lather were properly hydrated. Along that line, I tend to stay with soaps that have a wide bandwidth on water since I shave at the gym in the morning before work and don't have a lot of time to fuss with the lather.

A 41CV with a Math Pack and the leather case! That baby has served me well....
Hence the backwards Rosseforp moniker.

I shave under my nose and chin first, a couple minutes, then down the middle of my neck. It starts to dry as I get to my face. It is no problem to re-lather, I just thought it was drying a little fast, maybe I am using to much water.
Thanks
Doug 53 Tech, 64 Slim, RR DE1
@Rosseforp - I cut my teeth on a 41CV with the same spec as yours. I didn't go the whole hog with the thermal printer - always though it was a bit gimmicky.
I still use RPN scientific calculators to this day, even if they are on my smartphone or computer. Great to see someone flying the flag!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
My experience is that good soaps and their corresponding lathers stay pretty moist and lovely. My first soap was a TOBS soap that I used for months until I purchased my first artisan soap. I now have about 20 artisans soaps and the TOBS is gone for the very reason you mentioned. My morning shave routine is almost like a good meditation. :innocent:
@Montgomery115 , since my last posting I have started using artisan soaps, starting with Mike's Natural Soaps Lime, and I noticed an improvement in my comfort level with the shave right away. Oh, and all the different scents is such a pleasure. Now it is what is my flavor of the evening? LOL

My TOBS is now under the cabinet, even though I did get it to lather right. It is amazing what a simple change like a bowl or brush can make to the lather routine.
I am learning, I even got me a Semogue 1800 Boar, though that is taking a while to break in....

Once again, thanks for all the help guys.
Doug

@Montgomery115 , since my last posting I have started using artisan soaps, starting with Mike's Natural Soaps Lime, and I noticed an improvement in my comfort level with the shave right away. Oh, and all the different scents is such a pleasure. Now it is what is my flavor of the evening? LOL
Totally relate, and in fact, I have several Mike's as well, lime to. If you ever get a chance to try a Wholly Kaw soap, do. I don't like all the scents, but the ones I do are outstanding.

Current collection:

1 HP-41,
2 HP-48
1 DM-15 (Hp-15 clone)
2 HP-15's
3 HP-11's
4 HP-32S
1 HP-45
1 HP-33S
2 Novus Mathematician
1 Elecktronica MK-61
1 Elecktronica MK-52

A collection acquired over 35 years now. And I've lost at least 3 or 4 HP's in the field...

Can't help with the dry lather thing. Enter Roll Down Sto 1 Rec 1 enter +

Top Bottom