What's new

Lather drying on my face

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Hi all,
I have been wet shaving almost 2 months now. I started with Cremo, then changed to T0BS cream because I like the lather. My problem is even if my lather is runny, it still dries fast and I have to re-lather for each area. Do I need to use more product? Cremo was the same. I do shave slowly......
Thanks in advance for the help.
Doug

I've been at it about a year now, and I'm no expert but I can tell you what works for me. I bowl-lather, and when I apply the cream to my face for the first pass, I first make circular brush-strokes to assure a thorough job, then I keep going over my face back and forth with painting-like strokes (the bristles lying almost flat on my face). As I "paint" the lather keeps getting thicker, and when I'm satisfied I stop lathering and start shaving. Plain water evaporates faster than lather, so I can see how a runny mix can evaporate too quickly. But if it does happen, it's not big deal. Just apply more lather.

Hi all,
I have been wet shaving almost 2 months now. I started with Cremo, then changed to T0BS cream because I like the lather. My problem is even if my lather is runny, it still dries fast and I have to re-lather for each area. Do I need to use more product? Cremo was the same. I do shave slowly......
Thanks in advance for the help.
Doug

Doug buddy,

It's perfectly normal, as you shave, you scrape most of the lather away leaving a very thin film and that very quickly evaporates. Just apply more lather and continue.

If you have a really good lather similar to yogurt, it will stay moist and wet long enough for you you to finish you shave even if you take 4 passes or more. If not just apply a bit more water into the lather.

Cheers,

Mawashi

You can always add a bit of water to your brush and go over your lather to rehydrate as needed.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Wow! an RPN calculator.

How long is a pass taking? Lather should stay wet several minutes.
A 41CV with a Math Pack and the leather case! That baby has served me well....
Hence the backwards Rosseforp moniker.

I shave under my nose and chin first, a couple minutes, then down the middle of my neck. It starts to dry as I get to my face. It is no problem to re-lather, I just thought it was drying a little fast, maybe I am using to much water.
Thanks
Doug 53 Tech, 64 Slim, RR DE1

A 41CV with a Math Pack and the leather case! That baby has served me well....
Hence the backwards Rosseforp moniker.

I shave under my nose and chin first, a couple minutes, then down the middle of my neck. It starts to dry as I get to my face. It is no problem to re-lather, I just thought it was drying a little fast, maybe I am using to much water.
Thanks
Doug 53 Tech, 64 Slim, RR DE1

Doug,

Now I get your handle lol.

Try n experiment a little. Whip up a really good yogurt lather and see how long that stays wet.

If that dries super fast and get gooey you'll have to play with other water/soap ratios.

I know I generate a lot of heat so lather dries on my skin very very fast.

I know I generate a lot of heat ........

Curious minds are interested....

But seriously, try face lathering and be prepared to slop the lather about, adding water to the brush, for a good couple of minutes. Then if you're shaving slowly just go over the area you're shaving next with a few more swipes of the brush. Watery lather works best for me - flies off in all directions. I mean, it is called "wet shaving".....

Curious minds are interested....

But seriously, try face lathering and be prepared to slop the lather about, adding water to the brush, for a good couple of minutes. Then if you're shaving slowly just go over the area you're shaving next with a few more swipes of the brush. Watery lather works best for me - flies off in all directions. I mean, it is called "wet shaving".....

Lol... I'm one of those who still wear a tee n jeans when it's below 10 degrees Celsius, love the cold hate the heat lol.

Now I can finish my shave in under 20s yet lather can get gooey n dry soon.

When I tried straights or need to be more careful w an aggressive razor I often have to relather several times.

With a mild razor like the English Tech, I just face lather and buzz away lol.

Cheers,

Mawashi

I've been at it about a year now, and I'm no expert but I can tell you what works for me. I bowl-lather, and when I apply the cream to my face for the first pass, I first make circular brush-strokes to assure a thorough job, then I keep going over my face back and forth with painting-like strokes (the bristles lying almost flat on my face). As I "paint" the lather keeps getting thicker, and when I'm satisfied I stop lathering and start shaving. Plain water evaporates faster than lather, so I can see how a runny mix can evaporate too quickly. But if it does happen, it's not big deal. Just apply more lather.
This is what I do. I even leave the lather on a few moments before doing my first pass to let the lather work its magic on the face and whiskers.

My problem is even if my lather is runny, it still dries fast and I have to re-lather for each area. Do I need to use more product?
That would be my initial thoughts; more product. I take at least 2 minutes working the first lather in and the first pass takes ~ 1 minute. Even if you took 2 minutes for the pass the lather should not dry out.
For a 4 pass shave I used a large almond sized snurdle so it gives you a guide of how much cream to use. I have hard water so use a little more cream.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Just checking back in. As it turns out, I changed to a smaller lather bowl and then started adding more water in the bowl. I usually just dip the brush in the tub and eyeball how much product I start with.
Today I used my old bowl and dipped my finger in the cream to see how much I was using. I also shook almost all the water out of my brush and saw a difference right away. As it got a little pasty I just dipped the brush tip in a little water.
Much better today, plus a Feather Hi Stainless in my 53 Tech, after the first pass I had to check and see if there was a blade in the razor!

Thanks for the advise
Doug
53 Tech, 64 Slim, RR DE1

[QUOTE="Truman, post: 10109712, member: 124276"/]Thanks for posting this. I thought tried it today and it made a huge difference.[/QUOTE]

Glad it helped!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use something that may be frowned upon as unmanly or strange- but I've discovered that rubbing a coat of moisturizing hair conditioner on my face prior to applying the shaving cream both prevents things from drying up, and gets me a much smoother and less abrasive shave. My skin thanks me for it. I offer you to give it a shot. It may work as well for you.

I use something that may be frowned upon as unmanly or strange- but I've discovered that rubbing a coat of moisturizing hair conditioner on my face prior to applying the shaving cream both prevents things from drying up, and gets me a much smoother and less abrasive shave.
That is just covering up for poor lather. Get your lather right and you can have that cushion and slickness. I always moisturise after the shave which keeps the skin in good condition.

Top Bottom