What's new

Lather Catcher

Mail Call -
Vintage FAYNETT Lather Catcher - Hoe Type Safety Razor - Made in France. In amazing condition!
IMG_20210324_145612.jpg
IMG_20210324_145604.jpg
IMG_20210324_145608.jpg

they do look the same... never seen your way of adapting a gem blade before... i have a 3D printed adaptor... Mine came with a blade and a box too + the head of a sharpening stick thingy

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
How does it shave...??
I'll admit that it's been a while, but as I recall it's definitely aggressive...and by that I mean it's efficient and it definitely requires focus and adherence to good technique. That said, I do feel like it requires either a shimmed modern blade (or a modern blade with a wedge adapter) or a sharpened wedge blade....otherwise the shave is can be fairly uncomfortable.

Let us know how you like yours.

I'll admit that it's been a while, but as I recall it's definitely aggressive...and by that I mean it's efficient and it definitely requires focus and adherence to good technique. That said, I do feel like it requires either a shimmed modern blade (or a modern blade with a wedge adapter) or a sharpened wedge blade....otherwise the shave is can be fairly uncomfortable.

Let us know how you like yours.
Okay... yes the old wedge type razor are aggressive... i need to straighten the head on mine before i can use it... Do you know when they were made???

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I wish I did know when they were made....I'm always interested in those details. My Waits' Compendium shows the razor, but nothing on dates (either patent or manufacturer). From what I gather, Wedge-based razors went out of fashion in the US by around 1910 -- the GEM's and Gillette's of the world had really been migrating folks to low/no-maintenance blade systems. But I'm not sure how long Europe may have held on to the wedge blade systems.

Here's another thread on this razor: Perfecta Rasoir -- but nothing on dates.

Okay the seller told me he would guess the date to be around 1895-1910... That goes along pretty good with what you just said...

I wish I did know when they were made....I'm always interested in those details. My Waits' Compendium shows the razor, but nothing on dates (either patent or manufacturer). From what I gather, Wedge-based razors went out of fashion in the US by around 1910 -- the GEM's and Gillette's of the world had really been migrating folks to low/no-maintenance blade systems. But I'm not sure how long Europe may have held on to the wedge blade systems.

Here's another thread on this razor: Perfecta Rasoir -- but nothing on dates.
Nice thread

Top Bottom