What's new

Lather Catcher Collection

Some of you may have noticed that I like GEM Lather Catchers.

Over the past few months I have collected a few of them and thought it
might be nice to get them all together for a family portrait, so here it is,
with some closeups.

I typically shave with a straight now-a-days but still enjoy a GEM shave once
or twice a week. The one I use is the one with the brown wooden handle.
That's why it has a blade in it. It was in really good shape when I got it but
the finish on the wood was pretty much gone so I gave it three coats of
minwax high-gloss oil-based clear polyurethane. It also had the cleanest
head of any of them so I swapped it out with another just so I wouldn't
worry about messing up my best one.

It turns out that the 2nd black-handled razor is unusable because one of the
little tab stops that hold the blade is broken or worn off. :sad: I really like
the wooden box it came in.

The last two pictures are of a head-only. It got cut out of the family portrait.
It has two clamps on the side having no bar between them.

All razors have 1900/1901 patents except the one with the wooden box. It
has three patent dates: Dec 27 98, Aug 28 00, and US+Eng Nov 5 01.
Oh yes, the one in the round tin simply says Pat. Pend.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

Last edited:
Rob,
YOU my Good Sir, are the MAN!!! I am currently in the throws of LCAD. I'm comfortable enough in my present company to openly admiit that your photos in this thread have made the front of my trousers a bit tighter. Where did I put my Jerkins lotion!? If for whatever reason you EVER feel the need to thin the heard, I will gladly give one of your lovelies a beautiful home.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting! Those are great looking razors!

Rob,
YOU my Good Sir, are the MAN!!! I am currently in the throws of LCAD. I'm comfortable enough in my present company to openly admiit that your photos in this thread have made the front of my trousers a bit tighter. Where did I put my Jerkins lotion!? If for whatever reason you EVER feel the need to thin the heard, I will gladly give one of your lovelies a beautiful home.

Thanks. I almost snarfed my Rolling Rock.

Just fabulous, thank you Rob for posting these.

+1 The LCAD has now been stoked...

If for whatever reason you EVER feel the need to thin the heard, I will gladly give one of your lovelies a beautiful home.

Well, not at the moment. As a matter of fact I still have my eye out for more. I am still looking for the "perfect" one. Every one of those has one imperfection or another -- lost plating, buggered up handle (or missing handle!), None of the boxes are perfect. There may be no such thing as a perfect one, but I am looking.

Wonderful pics. I hope they shave as nice as they look!

Yes they do and that is why I like them so much. Also I like the Victorian look. I think that's what the look is called. Reminds me of something an H.G.Wells character would have in his shave kit.

+1 The LCAD has now been stoked...

Arrgh! Don't go outbidding me on eBay! :w00t:

Just kidding. Actually I think there is at least one on eBay at the moment but I will not be bidding on it as I am getting much fussier. I already have enough in moderately good condition. Not trying to corner the market, but looking for a "perfect" sample or two -- there are several different styles.

Nice Bob! Could you show how a blade is loaded in one of those? It is not all that obvious to me. And the one Junior with the wood handle is sweet looking - I like it.

Wow...very nice collection! I especially like how they're pictured with their original boxes.

I am tempted to pair the best razors with the best boxes but would rather keep the integrity of razor-to-box association -- assuming someone hasn't already shuffled things around before I got to them.

Nice Bob! Could you show how a blade is loaded in one of those? It is not all that obvious to me. And the one Junior with the wood handle is sweet looking - I like it.
Most likely tomorrow.
I will try to come up with a sequence of pictures but can't get to that right now.

Wow! very impressive! Those last two are beautiful.

As you shave with them, what is your favorite blade?

I have the Ted Pella PTFE Coated Stainless. And I feel no need to go looking for something else. I am 99% sure these are the same as the Personna Super Stainless you can get at many of the big chain drug stores.

Top Bottom