What's new

Lather bowls

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I like to make a different bowl up every once in a while(3rd one) and I believe ceramic is a great choice to use or maybe stainless, copper metals (ceramic retains a lot of heat longer than metals). Every once in a while my wife goes to a thrift store and this time I was with her, I was looking at this bowl and was thinking is it a Fondo or cereal bowl? No it is going to be a new lather bowl so I purchased it back a few months ago for $1.00 Can.
Shaving bowl 5 (2).jpg

Shaving bowl 4 (2).jpg I used Marine JB weld and this stuff is amazing for strength, it takes thermal shock well from -40 degrees Fahrenheit to + 180 degrees Fahrenheit with no coins coming loose. (tested my other similar bowl for over a year.)
Shaving bowl 2 (2).jpg This all the soap you need to bring on a rich lather in 1- 2 minutes easily at most.Shaving bowl 1 (2).jpg These are my results almost all the time with these bowls I re-purposed.
Shaving bowl 3 (2).jpg Bonus with a handled ceramic bowl. I pour hot water from the tap with the lather inside over the outside to heat up the lather for those cold winter months. The lather is still warm on the last pass if your curious how long it lasts.
Just started doing this recently and in about 20-30 seconds of hot tap water over the ceramic creating it nice and warm and so I started to spoil my self in the morning shaves. The lather does not see any of the water it seems and it works very well.(it doesn't get much better with warm lather in winter months IMO.)

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
I like to make a different bowl up every once in a while(3rd one) and I believe ceramic is a great choice to use or maybe stainless, copper metals (ceramic retains a lot of heat longer than metals). Every once in a while my wife goes to a thrift store and this time I was with her, I was looking at this bowl and was thinking is it a Fondo or cereal bowl? No it is going to be a new lather bowl so I purchased it back a few months ago for $1.00 Can.
View attachment 1045969
View attachment 1045971 I used Marine JB weld and this stuff is amazing for strength, it takes thermal shock well from -40 degrees Fahrenheit to + 180 degrees Fahrenheit with no coins coming loose. (tested my other similar bowl for over a year.)
View attachment 1045973 This all the soap you need to bring on a rich lather in 1- 2 minutes easily at most.View attachment 1045974 These are my results almost all the time with these bowls I re-purposed.
View attachment 1045972 Bonus with a handled ceramic bowl. I pour hot water from the tap with the lather inside over the outside to heat up the lather for those cold winter months. The lather is still warm on the last pass if your curious how long it lasts.
Just started doing this recently and in about 20-30 seconds of hot tap water over the ceramic creating it nice and warm and so I started to spoil my self in the morning shaves. The lather does not see any of the water it seems and it works very well.(it doesn't get much better with warm lather in winter months IMO.)

Have some great shaves!
Wow...fantastic!!!

I just got another interesting "travel" bowl.. Its a silicone collapsible 1 cup measuring cup with handle. Works well and is easy to hold because of the handle !!!!!

View attachment 1045969
View attachment 1045971 I used Marine JB weld and this stuff is amazing for strength, it takes thermal shock well from -40 degrees Fahrenheit to + 180 degrees Fahrenheit with no coins coming loose. (tested my other similar bowl for over a year.)
View attachment 1045973 This all the soap you need to bring on a rich lather in 1- 2 minutes easily at most.View attachment 1045974 These are my results almost all the time with these bowls I re-purposed.
View attachment 1045972 Bonus with a handled ceramic bowl. I pour hot water from the tap with the lather inside over the outside to heat up the lather for those cold winter months. The lather is still warm on the last pass if your curious how long it lasts.

Have some great shaves!
I got something very similar at an antique mall to use as a lather bowl. I may have to attach some coins. The Stirling jar inside is the small sample size. Next to it is a Shulton mug with a Barbershop sample pressed in to fit. I've been using this for about 2 years now as is, but I think the coins are a great idea!
20191223_153753-1.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I got something very similar at an antique mall to use as a lather bowl. I may have to attach some coins. The Stirling jar inside is the small sample size. Next to it is a Shulton mug with a Barbershop sample pressed in to fit. I've been using this for about 2 years now as is, but I think the coins are a great idea!View attachment 1046171
Once you apply the JB glue its permanent, if you use Gorilla glue they will hold for a few months and fall off. So to find out how well it works you can use Gorilla adhesive glue if you are not sure. I use alcohol swaps to prep clean the surface and then make sure its dry apply the glue to the coins. When applying the JB glue you can use Q-tips to remove excess glue around the outside of the coin and then use the alcohol swap or dip the q-tip in Isopropyl alcohol and wipe excess. Alcohol works well with the JB weld until it hardens.
Have some great shaves!

Once you apply the JB glue its permanent, if you use Gorilla glue they will hold for a few months and fall off. So to find out how well it works you can use Gorilla adhesive glue if you are not sure. I use alcohol swaps to prep clean the surface and then make sure its dry apply the glue to the coins. When applying the JB glue you can use Q-tips to remove excess glue around the outside of the coin and then use the alcohol swap or dip the q-tip in Isopropyl alcohol and wipe excess. Alcohol works well with the JB weld until it hardens.
Have some great shaves!

Thank you for the tips!

+1 for salsa bowls...mine's from the Dollar Tree (2 pack/$1). Love the micro-texturing and it fits great in my hand. I used to use an apothecary style mug, which I also liked very much, but it slipped out of my hand and cracked in the sink. The plastic salsa bowl is naturally immune to such calamities.

View attachment 1026278
I have been using one since I received a tub each of Proraso Green and Red. I roughed up the inside with a very gritty sandpaper. I only need a small dollop of either Green or Red for great lather.

I got something very similar at an antique mall to use as a lather bowl. I may have to attach some coins. The Stirling jar inside is the small sample size. Next to it is a Shulton mug with a Barbershop sample pressed in to fit. I've been using this for about 2 years now as is, but I think the coins are a great idea!View attachment 1046171
You might try some drop sized dabs of clear caulk to help whip up lather.

I just tried my new Fine lather bowl this morning and I like it very much. I was using an old rice chawan which is a bit smaller and smooth inside. The Fine does lather more quickly due to the ribs. It's worth the $25 to me.

I have a Captains Choice ceramic bowl also. Like the blue above only in sandstorm. LOVE it. I did not think I had any trouble making lather in a smooth mug..... but man is it better out of a Captains Choice bowl with the ridges in the bottom!

I just use a small plastic soup bowl from Kmart about the size of a large lather bowl works well holds heat for the duration of the shave and works well I also have a frank shave mug but I do really like it

An old yogurt container. Why folks spend big $ on shaving stuff escapes me. Keep it cheap, keep it simple
Again, this is probably not the place for you. Cheapest is not the only way.

Besides many of these bowls will last for decades. Fifty cents a year, for a bowl that lasts 50 years, is pretty cheap.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

just got this. 2 for $7 delivered. Wonderful for travel or the gym. They collapse flap. The nibs create great lather!

61J-kup0ooL._SL1001_.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom