What's new

Lather bowls

I've recently started using a pasta bowl. Its wide, shallow and flat and actually works amazingly well. Lots of room to work the lather up. Surprised me.

Is this the salsa bowl? What material is this? It looks like stone. I like this one the best.
Mine was made in China and appears to be basic injection molded plastic, light weight but durable. I would guess that @MntnMan62 salsa bowl is very similar.

There are some excellent looking lathering bowls, mugs, and scuttles in this thread. I like my salsa bowl, but I'm getting tempted to try one of the others, too.

Mine was made in China and appears to be basic injection molded plastic, light weight but durable. I would guess that @MntnMan62 salsa bowl is very similar.

There are some excellent looking lathering bowls, mugs, and scuttles in this thread. I like my salsa bowl, but I'm getting tempted to try one of the others, too.

Yes. My salsa bowl was a two pack as well. One for me and one for my son. Very cheap, lightweight and lathers well.

I find i get a better shave when i bowl lather now.

Whipping up a nice lather in a bowl is better for my skin.

When i face lather it seems like irritate my skin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am tempted by the Captain‘s Choice lather bowl for a while now (at least anytime I fly into the States) - but is the lathering so much better to reason the purchase? The lather I produce in my bowl isn’t that bad either...

I am tempted by the Captain‘s Choice lather bowl for a while now (at least anytime I fly into the States) - but is the lathering so much better to reason the purchase? The lather I produce in my bowl isn’t that bad either...

Here's the reality. The lather you produce in your bowls presently is no worse than the lather you would produce in the Captain's Choice bowl. That is a fact. You may have to work a tad longer to get it there, but the end result is the same. The only benefit to that bowl over one of your others is that it will build lather a tiny tiny bit faster and it will feel a little bit better holding it in your hand, both of which might make you feel good. I too want the heavy copper one. But at $50 I'm not that motivated. Yet. But give it some time and I'll find a way to rationalize that purchase and it will make it's way into my den. I'm just not there yet. Are you?

Just received my new timeless lather bowl.

Very nice but i think it could have been a bit smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's the reality. The lather you produce in your bowls presently is no worse than the lather you would produce in the Captain's Choice bowl. That is a fact. You may have to work a tad longer to get it there, but the end result is the same. The only benefit to that bowl over one of your others is that it will build lather a tiny tiny bit faster and it will feel a little bit better holding it in your hand, both of which might make you feel good. I too want the heavy copper one. But at $50 I'm not that motivated. Yet. But give it some time and I'll find a way to rationalize that purchase and it will make it's way into my den. I'm just not there yet. Are you?

not yet. I am great at rationalizing, too, but currently more on the brush side. Thanks for your reply.

It's on the way :001_unsur. I have had a ceramic one for a few years and keep coming back to it. Like you say, really no better than the stack of bowls I already have, I just like it. I was being crushed under the weight of having to have a reason for the copper bowl, so I caved. Probably won't be the last time.

It's on the way :001_unsur. I have had a ceramic one for a few years and keep coming back to it. Like you say, really no better than the stack of bowls I already have, I just like it. I was being crushed under the weight of having to have a reason for the copper bowl, so I caved. Probably won't be the last time.
That's what makes justifying a new bowl (or any other piece of equipment) purchase harder...keep coming back to old faithful!! I'd love a Captain's Choice bowl or a pounded copper bowl or a...or a...or a...but I keep going back to my cheapy salsa bowl; fits my hand nicely, makes great lather, what I've become use to.

All of mine are repurposed, none cost more than 5 bucks. I think dimensions are very important. That said, the littlest bowl below probably doesn’t make enough lather for most shavers. I also like:
>Some sort of protrusion for grip.
>Metal construction for warming the lather, using hot water in a vessel or in the sink.
>The idea of bumps or ridges, but I haven’t needed any so far.

Argentinian silver plate, found while hunting wild razors, my favorite just for its exotic good looks.
B2E96C16-5EFC-4AF0-B201-97FE7DBFDA66.jpeg

4 oz stainless prep bowl, from a restaurant supply store. The daily driver. Available in larger sizes for more normal amounts of lather.
DA0C6089-4DCB-4107-B7AC-4D18128508D4.jpeg

Small silverplate bowl, pedestal helps it sit in the sink and gives additional grip. I like the wide rim.
EA3806A7-1563-4474-A732-29083C52A455.jpeg

Heights (shallow is good)
13A0AFFA-957D-4A60-9412-C94CF8EFA2B5.jpeg

There are lots of decent, cheap silver and copper candidates in our local vintage stores, waiting to be repurposed. But I would happily accept a heavy copper captains choice bowl, just like a lot the guys on this thread.

Etsy bowl from CaYuenWorkshop - acrylic, so it's light and shouldn't break if I drop it. Lathers very well. It is a little dark in color for my particular model, but it is nice and sparkly!

1571380345840.png

All of mine are repurposed, none cost more than 5 bucks. I think dimensions are very important. That said, the littlest bowl below probably doesn’t make enough lather for most shavers. I also like:
>Some sort of protrusion for grip.
>Metal construction for warming the lather, using hot water in a vessel or in the sink.
>The idea of bumps or ridges, but I haven’t needed any so far.

Argentinian silver plate, found while hunting wild razors, my favorite just for its exotic good looks.
View attachment 1026956
4 oz stainless prep bowl, from a restaurant supply store. The daily driver. Available in larger sizes for more normal amounts of lather.
View attachment 1026957
Small silverplate bowl, pedestal helps it sit in the sink and gives additional grip. I like the wide rim.
View attachment 1026958
Heights (shallow is good)
View attachment 1026959

There are lots of decent, cheap silver and copper candidates in our local vintage stores, waiting to be repurposed. But I would happily accept a heavy copper captains choice bowl, just like a lot the guys on this thread.
That flared rim on that one bowl is a really nice feature in a lather bowl. It's nice and gentle to your brush.

I bought a cereal bowl at Target about 6 years ago. It's white on the outside and dark green on the inside. Perfectly smooth. When I bought it they sent some of the proceeds to feed the poor. Good enough for me. It cost me about four bucks.
I've been using it ever since. It works fine. I've never felt the need for an upgrade.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I use a plastic bowl from Target when I travel, but at home I always use my Georgetown G12 scuttle. It gives me a place to soak the brush before and clean the brush after, and I love the warm lather on the third pass.

Ceramic soup mug for uberlathering. Proraso plastic mug to soak brushes. I load refill pucks from ceramic DR Harris bowl but it works for lathering with smaller brushes as well.

Love the DR Harris bowl!!!

While I'm happy with my stainless steel Ikea bowl, I'm always tempted to get that DR Harris bowl just because I think it looks so nice.

Love the DR Harris bowl!!!

While I'm happy with my stainless steel Ikea bowl, I'm always tempted to get that DR Harris bowl just because I think it looks so nice.

Burleigh stoneware is pricey, regardless what insignia it carries. But it is cool, very English and quaint, making even apothecary mugs look like kitschy novelty items.

Not that small either.

Burleigh stoneware is pricey, regardless what insignia it carries. But it is cool, very English and quaint, making even apothecary mugs look like kitschy novelty items.

Not that small either.

The Chubby 2 and the D R Harris bowl were made for each other.

Top Bottom