What's new

Lather bowls

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
For me it is my Captains Choice Copper Lather Bowl. I only bowl lather with creams so mine doesn’t get that much use. Great bowl, fits in my hand nicely and I don’t think even I could break it.

For me it is my Captains Choice Copper Lather Bowl. I only bowl lather with creams so mine doesn’t get that much use. Great bowl, fits in my hand nicely and I don’t think even I could break it.
+1 on the Captain’s Choice copper bowl, it’s excellent! I use it with creams & croaps.

+1 for salsa bowls...mine's from the Dollar Tree (2 pack/$1). Love the micro-texturing and it fits great in my hand. I used to use an apothecary style mug, which I also liked very much, but it slipped out of my hand and cracked in the sink. The plastic salsa bowl is naturally immune to such calamities.

View attachment 1026278
It may just be your picture being pixelated, but it looks like lightly glazed pottery. Very nice!

(Off to go shop for salsa bowls!)

I have too many, but that will not prevent the CC heavy copper bowl from finding its way here sometime soon.
No matter the soap, no matter the brush, I can always get the lather I like in a bowl easily.

If you have access to a 3D printer, this is awesome. I have the XL version.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
50.jpg

dirty bird custom

I have a blue Timeless lather bowl that I used exclusively, until I found the handmade hammered Turkish copper bowl on the 'Bay. It's just like the one in MntnMan2's post, the 3rd pic down. The Timeless now sees a lot less action. I like the copper one more because it is a bit smaller, I feel it has more texture, & I like the finger ring thingy.

IMG_0188.JPG

Found this at a yard sale in my neighborhood a few years back. The noodle bowl shape is very comfortable in my hand, the little stand locks between my middle and ring fingers, and the texture inside whips up some pretty ridiculous lather very easily.

IMG_4459.jpg

Each bowl was hand made by a local ceramic artisan near my hometown in Upstate NY.
They are all approximately 4 - 5 inches wide and 1 1/2 inches deep, with just the right
amount of roughness to create a smooth rich lather. And each bowl fits perfectly in my
left hand while working the brush with my right hand.

IMG_4348.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
When I got into Traditional shaving 3 yrs ago I just went to dish cupboard and picked a low wall height Campbell's soap bowl, found it needed some agitation so glued some coins in the bottom and found it to be the best bowl out of 4 I have for making lather. Now I'm into money laundering almost every day and have cleanest coins on this forum. :lol:
Shaving bowls 2019 (2).jpg

With bigger brushes 24mm> my old spice mug does not make as good a lather bowl because of size. It's okay for loading a brush and then applying to face and then face lather. A lathering bowl IMO allows you to create a good lather and not aggravate the skin so much as direct face lathering. I prefer lather bowls over soap sticks and have used both, I will use soap sticks when travelling or just for a change at home(seldom used).
Old Spice mug (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

If you have access to a 3D printer, this is awesome. I have the XL version.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
Great idea. Looks like the Pereira Shavery's Unbreakable Bowl, but likely a lot cheaper. Also the size options are nice. I will definitely look into seeing if I can find a printing service to do the 11cm bowl. Huge thanks!

I have six that I use in my rotation but I'd have to say that only the two ceramic, the copper and the stainless one gets used regularly. Occasionally I use the travel scuttle during the coldest months. The salsa bowl may get used once a year, just for the heck of it. And the stainless one with the lid is my travel bowl believe it or not. I like it because it has a lid so I can put stuff in it and it's super light. Weighs almost nothing. And it was super cheap. Like less than $3 so I won't be upset if it gets lost, stolen or damaged. I'm actually considering on adding one to the collection. A Captain's Choice Copper (the heavy one) lather bowl. It looks absolutely perfect from a size and proportion standpoint. I'm just not up to shelling out $50 right now.

View attachment 1026235
Is this the salsa bowl? What material is this? It looks like stone. I like this one the best.

Top Bottom