What's new

Lather bowls

Yeah but its just so simple to walk in and get the regular one and not have to wait. I have never tried the one with the nubs as I have heard multiple stories about brushes being damaged by the nubs.... And I'm fine with the non nub version.
On the same page the standard one has proved its pudding on holidays and for home i use a granite mortar.

On the same page the standard one has proved its pudding on holidays and for home i use a granite mortar.
I use the silicone at home some too but I also have a stainless among others that gets a lot of use including later today probably. I am looking for a scuttle currently....

My Timeless lather bowl has pretty much displaced all other lather bowls in my den.

About the only one I'm still curious to try someday is one of the Captain's Choice lather bowls.

I use a Captains Choice ceramic. I have not used many (OK, only 1 other) but I have not picked up another after I started using the CC ceramic or had the desire to...…..yet haha

I'm debating Captain's Choice:
Ceramic or Heavy Copper
Leaning toward copper.
Any pros or cons for either, other than one will break if dropped?

Reason not experience: Copper will heat quicker but not hold the heat. Ceramic will heat slower but hold longer. Ceramic will make your heart skip a beat when you are drying it out and your fumble fingers nearly drop it! I bet if you went down to the vendor section, click on Captains Choice, start a thread or PM the "Captain" with your question....probably get much more professional educated guidance than mine!

Reactions: ike
I have had mine for 7-8 years. Either way, they are cheap and won’t break.
Thanks. And that's true about not breaking. I have some that are breakable and I have a stainless steel bowl and the obligatory collapsible silicone bowls. I haven't used a salsa bowl or copper bowl or a scuttle yet but plan to try those when I can get one....

I reluctantly went to a craft fair with DW. A local was selling ceramic bowls he designed for eating cereal and soup from as it had a hand on it and you could hold it easily with one hand. It had some slight rings in the interior surface. I found one that matched my countertop and it has been used so much with creams I ignore my soaps!

I'm debating Captain's Choice:
Ceramic or Heavy Copper
Leaning toward copper.
Any pros or cons for either, other than one will break if dropped?

Captain's Choice ceramic is the first lather bowl I bought. I'm definitely satisfied with it, with some Pros and Cons:

Pros- light weight, fits my hands perfectly (size L glove), ridges on the bottom produce a very nice lather, quality made

Cons- I do wish the bowl was a bit deeper for when a lather requires more vigorous work (sometimes the cream can splash over the lip easily)
SOTD 1 3 20 sm.jpg

I recently tried the offbrand captain's choice bowl from China which is the exact measurements of the real captain's choice bowl in regular size.

It looks like it would be good if I used a small boar brush that was very stiff and didn't splay a lot . My Semogue 1438 (a 21 mm) worked well in it to generate three or four passes relather without any spillage.

I think it also works well for someone who wants to mainly face lather, but likes to work up a proto-lather/concentrate first.

Or if you just want a place to press in a sample into the bottom of the bowl and use it for several days … Basically it becomes a loading bowl .

But when I brought out a 26 mm knot. one rotation of the knot in the bowl will spill out everything that was in the bowl. So you spend more time moving the lather from outside the bowl back in than you do actually mixing.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Captain's Choice ceramic is the first lather bowl I bought. I'm definitely satisfied with it, with some Pros and Cons:

Pros- light weight, fits my hands perfectly (size L glove), ridges on the bottom produce a very nice lather, quality made

Cons- I do wish the bowl was a bit deeper for when a lather requires more vigorous work (sometimes the cream can splash over the lip easily)
View attachment 1056613
Nice brush!

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I tend to switch back and forth from face lathering to bowl lathering. These days, I'm using one of those inexpensive hammered copper Turkish bowls. Works well, though I may spring for a couple of collapsible dog bowls out of curiosity.

I do have a Robert Becker ceramic scuttle, but haven't used it in years.

All that said, I always face lather when I travel. Less crap to carry.

I tend to switch back and forth from face lathering to bowl lathering. These days, I'm using one of those inexpensive hammered copper Turkish bowls. Works well, though I may spring for a couple of collapsible dog bowls out of curiosity.

I do have a Robert Becker ceramic scuttle, but haven't used it in years.

All that said, I always face lather when I travel. Less crap to carry.
I want to try a scuttle someday. I have a stainless bowl and a silicone collapsible.

Top Bottom