What's new

Lather Bowls - Lets see em.

Just this simple one from proraso it gets the job done with ease

Attachments

• 41ZLDvQ8UpL._AC_SY400_.jpg
    41ZLDvQ8UpL._AC_SY400_.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 12
Nothing really unique about mine, but I use one of the blanda blanka bowls from IKEA. I've also got a 365+ ceramic bowl from them for the same purpose. But I settled on using the stainless steel one.

Its late so I'm just going to use an old picture of them. (And I just realised that I have almost had them for a year now, based on the date of the picture)

Nothing really unique about mine, but I use one of the blanda blanka bowls from IKEA. I've also got a 365+ ceramic bowl from them for the same purpose. But I settled on using the stainless steel one.

Its late so I'm just going to use an old picture of them. (And I just realised that I have almost had them for a year now, based on the date of the picture)

When you start making soap you get this strange sense for eyeing soap containers. My wife loves the thrift stores and the bigger the better. One day i noticed all the old china and ceramic sugar bowls ect. I started loading up ever since then, they're very similar in size to the ceramic Tabac tub. I added the scuttle so you can see the size i am talking about.
20200714_172945.jpg20200714_173211.jpg20200714_173257.jpg

My fine accouterments lather bowl is all chipped up and the chipped parts are pulling on the hairs of my brush. I don't know what to do.

I wonder if some clay would fill in the chips. Or even some quick setting epoxy. People have epoxied coins into bowls without issues. Don’t know if the epoxy would expand any cracks though. Interested to see what fix you come up with though.

... I’d rather be shaving! [emoji631]

Nice scuttle

Thank you. It’s about 8 years old and in perfect condition. I wish the spiral pattern inside was cut out just a bit deeper though. I believe it’s a SRD scuttle called Mother Earth. Something like that.. the colors matched the bathroom impeccably well. When I use my natural brushes, I soak them in that then lather in the Parker bowl.

I wonder if some clay would fill in the chips. Or even some quick setting epoxy. People have epoxied coins into bowls without issues. Don’t know if the epoxy would expand any cracks though. Interested to see what fix you come up with though.

Thanks for the tip. I will try some epoxy.

Gonna look like Hell though.

maybe I can color the epoxy?

Absolutely. Epoxy resin dye or mica powder. Use very little at first and add it slowly until it matches. Don’t get the pearl color if you need it a solid color. The black and white liquid dyes are usually opaque and can help too. After all that, it may be cheaper to get a Parker bowl for $25 though.
Another option is use a sharpie marker on it then epoxy over it with the clear epoxy.

I’d be willing to send you a powder that would be close to what you need if you post a pic.

I picked up the bowl in Israel expressly to be a shave bowl but it was too smooth and didn't whip a thick head of lather. Look closely and you can see that i added drops of silicone glue throughout the design. Didn't really mess with the aesthetic but wow what a difference in lather!

Attachments

• SHAVE SETUP.jpg
    SHAVE SETUP.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:

+1 on the IKEA Stainless. Great size, smooth lip and a good grip from the brushes finish. If you insist on texture for lather agitation, you can stick on a few silicon cabinet closer bumpers to the inside. Works well.

VSHOD passes these out free with soap purchases. This is the bowl that first got me into bowl lathering. It took a lot of work to find anything to rival it.
96EE974A-D074-4CCF-B22D-74095E66F7C1.jpeg
F34EB871-5089-4A99-8879-51E48AEFE627.jpeg

Last edited:
After tying lots and lots of bowls I think that I finally found the one. Behold the Salt and Pepper Hue Rice Bowl.

For me 120x60mm is on the perfect size. It also has the perfect shape for the task being flat bottomed with sloping rounded sides that finish vertically. The Matt glaze gives good grip and a bit of purchase to the brush. Nice heat retention in the ceramic. Floats nicely in the water with no handle and a draft halfway up the side. Lovely deep colour and textured midnight blue finish that contrasted beautifully with a fresh lather. Added bonus it fits a standard size soap tub flush with the brim. I could go on. Admittedly a bit pricey compared to the IKEA bowl at $5.95 AUD but totally worth it.

Between this and the slightly smaller vintage sterling silver, I am set for all brush sizes.

FC396BBB-64BC-4A49-B208-87CEC541F81C.jpeg
909133D6-1EE9-466E-8953-F840BD68C2A5.jpeg
F27A4042-F37E-490C-BF5D-3A4BE6600C77.jpeg

I enjoy warm lather provided by utilizing a scuttle.

Attachments

• 1D04D614-EFEB-4A74-B3DB-1E25D7D7BAD8.jpeg
    1D04D614-EFEB-4A74-B3DB-1E25D7D7BAD8.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 21
  • 3E362E6B-95FF-4817-9359-4145020345B9.jpeg
    3E362E6B-95FF-4817-9359-4145020345B9.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 20
  • 0176F3FC-9F60-4898-8312-ABADC6F4BE08.jpeg
    0176F3FC-9F60-4898-8312-ABADC6F4BE08.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 21
Top Bottom