What's new

Lather Bowls - Lets see em.

37E5933D-8295-485E-AC99-07DF8D238335.jpeg
Antique Sterling Silver. Polished up really well!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have made different bowls over the years and here a few that I still use occasionally.
Shaving bowls 2019 (2).jpg

I like to make a different bowl up every once in a while(3rd one) and I believe ceramic is a great choice to use or maybe stainless, copper metals (ceramic retains a lot of heat longer than metals). Every once in a while my wife goes to a thrift store and this time I was with her, I was looking at this bowl and was thinking is it a Fondo or cereal bowl? No it is going to be a new lather bowl so I purchased it back a few months ago for $1.00 Can.

The one I'm using at moment.
Shaving bowl 5 (2).jpg

Shaving bowl 4 (2).jpg I used Marine JB weld and this stuff is amazing for strength, it takes thermal shock well from -40 degrees Fahrenheit to + 180 degrees Fahrenheit with no coins coming loose. (tested my other similar bowl for over a year.)
Shaving bowl 2 (2).jpg This all the soap you need to bring on a rich lather in 1- 2 minutes easily at most. Shaving bowl 1 (2).jpg These are my results almost all the time with these bowls I re-purposed.
Shaving bowl 3 (2).jpg Bonus with a handled ceramic bowl. I pour hot water from the tap with the soap inside over the outside to heat up the soap for those cold winter months. With the brush warm with hot water start to lather the soap inside the bowl now and it will be a nice warm lather for your shave.
Just started doing this recently and in about 20-30 seconds of hot tap water over the ceramic creating it nice and warm and so I started to spoil my self in the morning shaves. The lather does not see any of the water it seems and it works very well.(it doesn't get much better with warm lather in winter months IMO.)

Have some great shaves!

My son gave me this old bowl with odd Peter Rabbit story on it, he got it at a rummage sale for 50c. I fill it with hot water to warm it up, the use the water on my face just prior to shave. It retains the heat well and it's nice to have warm suds scrubbed into the face.

15909328621934788396701205966949.jpg

I have been on a quest to find something unique. Different from everything.
Found this vintage old bowl - Agate Slag glass, super thick.
Couldn't pass it up. Just ordered it.

Beautiful piece! Don't drop it!

I have one of the ceramic bowls from Captain's Choice and a George Town Pottery Scuttle, which are sadly both in storage. The problems of temporary living arrangements between homes.

It would be hard to drop.
Little did I know that this was going to be the perfect lather bowl. I had no idea that it was going to fit my hand like it does. You would almost have to be trying to drop it. I have used it twice so far and with Proraso green I can whip a thick luxurious lather up in about 2 minutes.
See below.
proxy.php
Beautiful!

View attachment 1104398Antique Sterling Silver. Polished up really well!
There is something timeless about vintage sterling silver

coblat.jpg
Its an old sugar bowl with a cobalt glass insert that looks pretty cool

large silver bowl.jpg
Some sort of a charger bowl purloined from the Hotel Vancouver. At 6.5" across the top its a little large for a lather bowl but the handles are great.

A couple other unique ones
small mug.jpg
Used to be my grandfather's and is smallish at 3.5" across the top but have it loaded with a puck of Haslinger Honey (fitting since the bowl made the trip from Austria)

pewter mug.jpg
An etsy find but since my career started working for a ILEC I thought it was kind of cool find

I’ll save you the viewing of any photos. My choices are not unique as the other posted here. Though I quite admire the creativity I see. I started with an apothecary mug. It worked but wasn’t fantastic and it was noisy. Then I purchased the Fine lather bowl in white and gray. This was better for me but I found it could be hard to keep lather in the bowl if I had a lot of product. Also my sink has next to no counter space to securely place a bowl on day in and day out without running the high risk of shattering this tool. I wound up with the captains choice copper lather bowl(s) yes both weights. For my use, I really love these bowls.

I have the heavy weight as it holds hot and cold longer than the light weight in case I want to enhance a lather. The regular version works wonders for my wife. She has taken to having anice latherprepared before heading into the shower to shave her legs. The safety as well as the zero risk of breaking the bowl is a big plus for our application. We love them in our household.

If I had not gone this direction, I think I would fall into the salsa bowl modification camp. I really enjoy seeing how guys make these perfect for their use.

Beautiful!

There is something timeless about vintage sterling silver

View attachment 1107539
Its an old sugar bowl with a cobalt glass insert that looks pretty cool

View attachment 1107540
Some sort of a charger bowl purloined from the Hotel Vancouver. At 6.5" across the top its a little large for a lather bowl but the handles are great.

A couple other unique ones
View attachment 1107543
Used to be my grandfather's and is smallish at 3.5" across the top but have it loaded with a puck of Haslinger Honey (fitting since the bowl made the trip from Austria)

View attachment 1107542
An etsy find but since my career started working for a ILEC I thought it was kind of cool find

You say your career started with an ILEC, are you no longer in that line of work.

I have been in this field all through high school and college as a part time/summer help guy that ended up in college for Electronic T-Comm. 9/11 hit and jobs were a bit tight, left the field and never used the education until about 11 years ago the company I worked for called me and said they heard I moved back and wanted to talk. A month later I was back in the field. Much has changed as now we are 95% FTTH and my old twisted pair knowledge really doesn't get used. It was funny though that we had a class that dedicated about 2 weeks to the color code. I had been splicing in new cables in high school. The company has grown through the years and is now the provider for about 23 small towns across this corner of my state. Anyways, just wasn't expecting to see ILEC in a post like this with that cool mug.

KM

You say your career started with an ILEC, are you no longer in that line of work.

I have been in this field all through high school and college as a part time/summer help guy that ended up in college for Electronic T-Comm. 9/11 hit and jobs were a bit tight, left the field and never used the education until about 11 years ago the company I worked for called me and said they heard I moved back and wanted to talk. A month later I was back in the field. Much has changed as now we are 95% FTTH and my old twisted pair knowledge really doesn't get used. It was funny though that we had a class that dedicated about 2 weeks to the color code. I had been splicing in new cables in high school. The company has grown through the years and is now the provider for about 23 small towns across this corner of my state. Anyways, just wasn't expecting to see ILEC in a post like this with that cool mug.

KM
Cool about your transition back to telecom and I bet a lot had changed.

My story is a little different. The company started as ED TEL (provided telecom & datacom for the city of Edmonton) and was a fantastic place to work....excellent people and culture. I started as an intern, then a contract position, then a temp role and finally full time permanent. Was always in product management or sales operations. Spent five years there right out of university and loved it till we were purchased by a much larger and IMO a profoundly dysfunctional company. Work environment became very unpleasant so I left. Briefly returned seven years later but clear it wasn't going to be a place I would be challenged or respected so left again.

Top Bottom