What's new

Latest Project -- Teaser!

Superb! I can only imagine the price for that pair. When finished, they should be cased. Have you given any thought to designing a nice wooden display case?

Very nice. I enjoyed the tale of their creation almost as much as the pictures.
Thank you for sharing.

Superb! I can only imagine the price for that pair. When finished, they should be cased. Have you given any thought to designing a nice wooden display case?

Thanks! Yes, I have given some thought to this...it would be fantastic to create something similar to what some of the custom makers have done for their straights. I'd be a bit worried about the knot of the brush being deformed in a case, but I guess that's a pretty easy hurdle to overcome.

Once I have the finished products, I'm sure some inspiration will come for a good case. :001_smile

Thanks! Yes, I have given some thought to this...it would be fantastic to create something similar to what some of the custom makers have done for their straights. I'd be a bit worried about the knot of the brush being deformed in a case, but I guess that's a pretty easy hurdle to overcome.

Once I have the finished products, I'm sure some inspiration will come for a good case. :001_smile

Good point about the brush. Maybe a custom stand instead?

Absolutely Beautiful!

WRT the case (if made), you could leave enough air-space around the bloom to to allow nothing to touch and deform the knot, or have a clear acrylic tube in which to place the brush when stored in the case. If slid into the tube from the handle side, no damage would be done (similar to a travel brush).

Absolutely Beautiful!

WRT the case (if made), you could leave enough air-space around the bloom to to allow nothing to touch and deform the knot, or have a clear acrylic tube in which to place the brush when stored in the case. If slid into the tube from the handle side, no damage would be done (similar to a travel brush).

Thanks! Yes, my thoughts as well. Thermoform some foam around them and leave a cone-shape for the knot...

Haha don't worry. That's what they were made for. They were purpose-built! The engraving isn't just decoration, it's primary purpose is for good purchase with wet hands while shaving. And the lacquer is much tougher and more scratch resistant than your average resin/plastic handles. My grand master plan is actually to get rid of most of my DE accoutrement after these are completed, so they'll be my go-to DE set. But I still want them to be cared for while not in use. Since I just finished my first resto on a straight, I plan on using it as much as possible...but I have a feeling that will be difficult once these are done! :001_smile

Those are some of the finest pieces of art I have seen in a very long time. Thank you for sharing the photos -- you made my night. They truly look like museum pieces.

Asking about making more of these available would be like asking da Vinci if he could just pop out a couple more Mona Lisa portraits (no offense intended to those who have asked for information on purchasing -- if more were made available, I would definitely be in that line).

Wow, just wow. What badger knot could possibly be up to the task of topping off that perfect brush handle?

You are doing this to make us jealous aren't you?:mad:

However, they are absolutely stunning and will be pride of place on anyone's bathroom shelf. I am so envious.

Well done, sir. It's a credit to the arts. (and ignore the crack above - only meant in jest.:biggrin:

R

The story of urushi laquer made me look up various sources pertaining to this process and its origins... Odd to think that plants which are so dangerous to human skin can produce such striking varnishes. Enjoy---the handles are truly works of art.

Since you want a set, may I suggest making custom scales if you decide to start using straights?

I've considered this as well! A great idea for the future. Just thinking about what blade to match gets my head spinning. A Le Grelot perhaps? A Wostenholm IXL?

I can only imagine what kind of sweating would be going on while pinning it! :redface::001_smile

Top Bottom