What's new

Latest improvement on the Georgetown Pottery Scuttle

After I had placed an order for a scuttle from Georgetown, I bought a 3rd generation one from daniel.boone here (thanks :thumbup1:). It worked wonderfully, so I called to cancel my initial order; to my surprise I was told they where in the process of making some changes to the new batches; after asking what they where, I decided to keep the order on a Havana and compare them if anything; I also ordered a matching tea cup that I planned to use to keep a Tabac puck on.

The changes are slight, but they keep in with what folks had been clamoring for: a larger enclosed reservoir; where the G3 holds a little over 4 oz, the new one holds about 8 oz. To accomplish this and since they kept the overall dimensions basically unchanged, they reduced the diameter of the (inside) lathering bowl.
To be honest, the way I warm up the ceramic, I found no real advantage to the larger reservoir in this respect. The lather is kept just as warm as my G3 for the duration of my shave, which takes around 15 mins with 3 passes.

Nonetheless, they are beautiful and utilitarian, very heavy duty. My wife took possession of one and I'm keeping the other. I never tried any of the other scuttles out there, but this is it for me, I find no reason to keep searching.

You can find my review on it here with a bit more detailed explanation of the noted changes.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the picture is that the tea cup sitting next to the scuttle? What kind of handle does the tea cup have on it ?

I've gotta get one of these! I wonder if the Georgetown Pottery store in Freeport has any of the new ones in, last trip to Freeport all they had was one of the 3rd generation scuttles in a color I wasn't looking for. Looks like I'll need to call the store this weekend and maybe take a trip to Freeport.:biggrin:

Al

It must be something in that Maine water, they are nice pieces :)
Thanks Vic, I should have mentioned their site. Wellcome to B&B by the way.
I should have been more consistent on my pictures, on the first one is the new one on the left and a G3 on the right. On the second one they are reversed, with a 6 inch ruler on top of the G3.

In the picture is that the tea cup sitting next to the scuttle? What kind of handle does the tea cup have on it ?

Yeap, the last picture has the tea cup, it doesn't have a handle.

Lou, your scuttle is beautiful I have a question about the color of yours. It doesn't look like any of the choices that G'Town has posted on their website. Is it one of the standard choices, or did you have to ask for it?

Lou, your scuttle is beautiful I have a question about the color of yours. It doesn't look like any of the choices that G'Town has posted on their website. Is it one of the standard choices, or did you have to ask for it?

Thanks Gary, the one in the last picture is the one I just got, it is a Hamada which is one of their standard offerings. I guess since they are hand made, a little variation in tone and shade is to be expected.

The G3 I already had (on the first picture, the one on the right) is in Hamada and Persimmon.

I have the older, last years, Georgetown. I love it. I pre-heat with tap water, then fill will HOT water from my electric water heater. Keeps the lather warm for the duration. A great addition to my shaving stuff. Oh, and the folks at Georgetown are a delight to work with. A#1 service and great personality.

Lou, thanks for the great review. Your original post about the updates to the design prompted me to look at the G4 online back in December, and my wife ordered one for me. :biggrin:

My experience has been similar to yours. I pre-warm the heavy ceramic scuttle in the sink, refill before adding my cream, and the scuttle stays warm for the duration of my shave. Mind you, it's not HOT lather, but it is definitely warm compared to my original method using a Target Latte mug. The Latte mug cooled off fast, so I was very pleased with the residual warmth that the lather has with the Georgetown scuttle. Since this has been quite a cold winter here, the warmth is a real treat in the morning. :thumbup1:

I just received a G4 identical to yours. Love it. It has definitely improved my lather making, although I still have a long way to go..

I have the older, last years, Georgetown. I love it. I pre-heat with tap water, then fill will HOT water from my electric water heater. Keeps the lather warm for the duration. A great addition to my shaving stuff. Oh, and the folks at Georgetown are a delight to work with. A#1 service and great personality.

I pre heat it in tap water, except that I fill it with the boilest boiling water before whipping the lather.
The GT scuttle is warm all over this way

I pre heat it in tap water, except that I fill it with the boilest boiling water before whipping the lather.
The GT scuttle is warm all over this way

Although I built a lather on mine for the picture on my review to show the effectiveness, I actually just face lathered and normally used the scuttle for parking the brush between passes. I started building the lather on the Georgetown this past week and the scrumptiousness of the warm lather from the get go is really good.

Confilo, so the boiling water does not destroy the foam on you?, I always thought too much heat had a negative effect on the lather. I'm going to give that a try as well.

Although I built a lather on mine for the picture on my review to show the effectiveness, I actually just face lathered and normally used the scuttle for parking the brush between passes. I started building the lather on the Georgetown this past week and the scrumptiousness of the warm lather from the get go is really good.

Confilo, so the boiling water does not destroy the foam on you?, I always thought too much heat had a negative effect on the lather. I'm going to give that a try as well.

Huracan,
I have the old version GT scuttle which seems to have thicker walls. My kitchen is near the bathroom so I boil the water while I'm showering and then transfer it to the scuttle. Fact is that the water stop boiling by the time it gets to the scuttle by a matter of seconds. It does not affect the lather.
Let me know how it goes

My decision for which scuttle is getting harder, and harder. As a student, I won't really have money until I start working in May, so hopefully I will have it figured out by then. I definitely like the look, and price of the G-Town, but had originally disregarded it due to the fact that most members said that it did not keep their lather warm. The new improvements seem to have brought this scuttle back into play.

Top Bottom