What's new

latest aquisition- plata lappas razor...

Hi everyone, first off happy holidays to you all! so my brother had mentioned for a while that he had an old razor to give me...so finally he remembered to bring it in..it's in a nice little felt pouch with "plata lappas" written in it. It was a gift to my dad from my cousin from Argentina, and so this razor is from an old company that makes fine silver items for the house. Seeing as it's pure silver, i have to give it a good cleaning first, and i think it takes the older gillette trak 2 type blades (they slide into a track). It's a really nice razor and i plan on using it.
I haven't taken pics yet but came across the exact same one on a south-american "ebay" if you will.haha here's a link..hope it works..
fabs

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar...-afeitar-en-plata-lappa-cestuche-original-_JM

Hi everyone, first off happy holidays to you all! so my brother had mentioned for a while that he had an old razor to give me...so finally he remembered to bring it in..it's in a nice little felt pouch with "plata lappas" written in it. It was a gift to my dad from my cousin from Argentina, and so this razor is from an old company that makes fine silver items for the house. Seeing as it's pure silver, i have to give it a good cleaning first, and i think it takes the older gillette trak 2 type blades (they slide into a track). It's a really nice razor and i plan on using it.
I haven't taken pics yet but came across the exact same one on a south-american "ebay" if you will.haha here's a link..hope it works..
fabs

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar...-afeitar-en-plata-lappa-cestuche-original-_JM

Yup it looks like a Trac II style of razor. When I want a quick shave and I have to travel by air I use the Trac II system. Nice Razor!! :thumbup:

sledge....thanks. I was trying to think back to when i started shaving, and my dad was using the trak 2's..i think that with what i've learnt about shaving up to now, i should get a good shave with the trak's.
I cleaned and polished the razor up and looks really nice!!! i can't wait to try it, just have to get the blades. I read that the trak's where very close to the injector style blades, so guess they are pretty sharp?
fabs

sledge....thanks. I was trying to think back to when i started shaving, and my dad was using the trak 2's..i think that with what i've learnt about shaving up to now, i should get a good shave with the trak's.
I cleaned and polished the razor up and looks really nice!!! i can't wait to try it, just have to get the blades. I read that the trak's where very close to the injector style blades, so guess they are pretty sharp?
fabs

I use T2s a lot headshaving. They are not quite as sharp as an injector, but can provide a very enjoyable shave.

Enjoy!

fabs

Trac II's are a nice system, but I like the injector much better. Actually Schick in a marketing response to Trac II decided to market injector blades that were called Twin injector blades. Basically it was two injectors (sandwiched together) separated by a thin metal offset.

That's a nice looking razor ... even with the TracII head, it should give you some good shaves. I bet it has some really nice heft to it. Combined with such a long handle, it should balance quite nicely.

Is it solid silver, or plated?

But don't be in such a hurry to clean it ... the existing patina took years to develop, and it might be prettier if you leave it intact.

hi guys, well i did ended up cleaning it and it's as good as new and yes, i think it is solid silver, it does have some weight to it, i will take some pics in the coming days, i'm anxious to try it out, but i have to buy some blades for it...
fabs

Congrats on finding something different . . . fun hobby, this is!! :thumbup1:

T2 razors are outstanding shavers!

Don't assume it is sterling silver just due to the weight. If it is sterling silver there will be a hallmark on the item somewhere. Otherwise, it is plated.

Either way, it's still a beautiful piece of shaving art! Enjoy!!

BRAD ...so what is a hallmark? where would it be located?

FIRST SHAVE: so i tried it out today, bought the gillettes trak 2 and a "no-name" or "house" brand of the pharmacie...i tried the gillette first and i must say it was a fantastic shave!!! very close, infact more then my DE blades i find, and less finiky i find...i will try the "house" brand and see how they compare, if they are as good i will buy those as they are much cheaper then the gillette's.
Gillette (pack of 10 = $16.00)
No-name (pack of 15 = $6.99)

here are some pics of the razor at hand:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Very nice pictures!! :thumbup1:

I have used the generic Twin Blade carts from Dollar General for both Atra and Trac II . . . great shaves at a fair price!

A hallmark is an official imprint on an item made from precious metals, such as gold or silver. The marks can differ from country to country on vintage items, but are generally well-documented and will usually help in determining the level of purity of the metal the item is made from.

Here is a Wikipedia link for more information on hallmarks.

Top Bottom