What's new

Late Production HD's-even blade exposure?

I'd love to purchase my first Merkur HD in gold finish. However, my first two razors, both new Merkurs, each have visibly more blade exposed on one side than the other. I have a 23C Long Handle Classic and a Progress. At first, being a novice, I chose the LHC for it's long handle. I thought it would be a good transition from my cartridge handles. I presumed that maybe one side was the "agressive" side before I knew how a DE was properly used. All the vintage razors that have passed through my hands since have been spot on in this respect. You would think in this day and age of computers that Merkur could get it right. I have heard that there was a head redesign in the last year or so. Anyway, I am rambling, but for anyone that has purchased a new HD lately, is the blade exposure the same on both sides?

I bought one 2 years ago and ended up giving it to my brother, but it had even blade exposure. I just purchased a new one about a month ago and again, it had even blade exposure.

for anyone that has purchased a new HD lately, is the blade exposure the same on both sides?

I have an HD (34c) in chrome that I added to my staff 6 weeks ago and blade alignment and exposure appear to be perfect. It's been used with blades from Merkur, Derby, Crystal, Gillette 7o'clock and Treet and everything seems to be fitting properly.

I have seen mismatched blade exposure on both Merkurs and Vintage Gillettes, all with the alignment pin design. It seems there is a little "slop" in centering the blade. That can be dealt with when installing the blade by careful positioning as the pieces are screwed together.

Other vintage Gilletes (Techs, NEWs) have better alignment design -- horizontal bar and corner "bumps" that hold the blade perfectly.

I have seen mismatched blade exposure on both Merkurs and Vintage Gillettes, all with the alignment pin design. It seems there is a little "slop" in centering the blade. That can be dealt with when installing the blade by careful positioning as the pieces are screwed together.

The gold Old I shaved with yesterday has that issue; as long as I look when snugging up the handle it's fine.
Otherise I get one "dead" blade, and one that is "rather aggressive".

Larry

I have a Merkur HD with uneven blade exposure as well. The long-handle Merkur that I own doesn't have that problem though.

V

VR6ofpain

My HD is far closer to being even than my Progress and Vision. Both the Progress and Vision show huge variences between the blade gap on each side. I learned to use it though. Using the more aggressive sides for the first passes, then the less aggressive side for the follow up passes.

My HD is far closer to being even than my Progress and Vision. Both the Progress and Vision show huge variences between the blade gap on each side. I learned to use it though. Using the more aggressive sides for the first passes, then the less aggressive side for the follow up passes.

Have you tried putting the HD's cap on the Progress?
Seems like some of these alignment problems can be attributed to the cap.

The gold Old I shaved with yesterday has that issue; as long as I look when snugging up the handle it's fine.
Otherise I get one "dead" blade, and one that is "rather aggressive".

Larry

I had this same issue two days ago. I'm going to see if I can make the blades even, but I assumed I had a broken razor, we'll see.

I have to pay attention when snugging the blade down on my HD or I'll end up with uneven exposure, it's very minute, such that if I don't pay attention and it's off a bit on one side, I barely notice if at all when I shave, by my eye can still perceive the difference. I definitely prefer the bar design on the older Gillette's that I have.

I have to pay attention when snugging the blade down on my HD or I'll end up with uneven exposure, it's very minute, such that if I don't pay attention and it's off a bit on one side, I barely notice if at all when I shave, by my eye can still perceive the difference. I definitely prefer the bar design on the older Gillette's that I have.

+1 I have this exact issue w/ my HD

I tighten the blade down in my HD, then loosen it maybe an eighth of a turn so I can get the blade alignment perfect, then I tighten down again.

Top Bottom