What's new

Last Shave

My dad has had dementia for a number of years, and for just over a year now I have been going over to give him a shave. My Sis tried and his response to her was, " I don't have enough blood in my body for you to keep giving me a shave." I would go over a few times a week to give him a shave. Most times I would use my RR Eco but would on occasion use grandpa's GEM or Great grandpa's Eveready. I would use a Gillette Trio for touch ups. As he got worse Dad would always love when I came over and used my Omega Boar brush with whatever soap I decided to use that day so much when his hospice bathing nurse would arrive he would not let her shave him, he would say that was my job. About 10 days ago I went over to shave Dad. He just laid in his bed while I whipped up a lather with Mama Bear's Masculine Musk soap and shaved him with Grandpa's GEM. When I was done I put some Afta on him, he just looked up at me smiled and gave me a thumbs up. Two days later Dad basically went into a coma, quit eating & drinking and "slept" all the time. This past Friday Dad passed away from the dementia. Just glad I was able to take care of my Dad for the last year and use some of our heirloom razors on him. Probably going to put the GEM and Grandpa's Scuttle in a place of honor for awhile before I use them again.
So sorry for your loss but so glad you had that quality time with him. Cherish those memories.

Such a moving story, kudos on taking care of your dad's shaving needs. The little things do bring a lot of comfort...

I am in a similar situation. My dad suffered a stroke 7 years ago and we have been taking care of him at home ever since. Needless to say, I'm in charge of shaving :) My trusty EJ89, Omega 10005, scuttle and a variety of ASBs have given him many nice smooth shaves. You can just tell he feels so much better afterwards!

The only concern is it takes me almost 20-30 minutes from start to finish with a 2 pass shave + touch ups, and lately he's been complaining about how slow it is. Much faster to do it with a Schick Hydro cartridge razor, but I want to stick to traditional DE shaving.

Any tips on doing a fast but enjoyable + effective shave for someone lying in bed are greatly appreciated!

Such a moving story, kudos on taking care of your dad's shaving needs. The little things do bring a lot of comfort...

I am in a similar situation. My dad suffered a stroke 7 years ago and we have been taking care of him at home ever since. Needless to say, I'm in charge of shaving :) My trusty EJ89, Omega 10005, scuttle and a variety of ASBs have given him many nice smooth shaves. You can just tell he feels so much better afterwards!

The only concern is it takes me almost 20-30 minutes from start to finish with a 2 pass shave + touch ups, and lately he's been complaining about how slow it is. Much faster to do it with a Schick Hydro cartridge razor, but I want to stick to traditional DE shaving.

Any tips on doing a fast but enjoyable + effective shave for someone lying in bed are greatly appreciated!
I’d ask him if he would prefer just a one pass.

Well done. Great, though difficult, for you and even better for him. And, you did it with the oldest of your shavers. A story to pass down through time.

I am sorry for your loss and hope your kind, quality care will go a long way to help the healing. My father died when I was 18 and I loved watching him shave his heavy beard and complain the whole time about it. I have his, Gillette circa late teens or early 20s, & I can understand why. He is the reason I have loved everything about shaving and have for many years wished he were still with us so I could buy him a Timeless set like mine or pick any of the others in my collection to enjoy. My point is you should feel lucky you have had him & could serve him at this time in his life...God bless you.

I will always think of that last visit in the hospice before my sister passed away.
Just as I have these images of my dad and my mom shortly before each of them died implanted in my memory.
Over time, these last images morphed into some of the strongest memories that I have of them.

You have a memory worth cherishing and that your dad was still able to respond to your kindness makes it even more precious to remember.

May he rest in peace.

B.

Last edited:
My condolences on your loss. Nice that you could spend some quality shaving time with him in the end.

My dad has had dementia for a number of years, and for just over a year now I have been going over to give him a shave. My Sis tried and his response to her was, " I don't have enough blood in my body for you to keep giving me a shave." I would go over a few times a week to give him a shave. Most times I would use my RR Eco but would on occasion use grandpa's GEM or Great grandpa's Eveready. I would use a Gillette Trio for touch ups. As he got worse Dad would always love when I came over and used my Omega Boar brush with whatever soap I decided to use that day so much when his hospice bathing nurse would arrive he would not let her shave him, he would say that was my job. About 10 days ago I went over to shave Dad. He just laid in his bed while I whipped up a lather with Mama Bear's Masculine Musk soap and shaved him with Grandpa's GEM. When I was done I put some Afta on him, he just looked up at me smiled and gave me a thumbs up. Two days later Dad basically went into a coma, quit eating & drinking and "slept" all the time. This past Friday Dad passed away from the dementia. Just glad I was able to take care of my Dad for the last year and use some of our heirloom razors on him. Probably going to put the GEM and Grandpa's Scuttle in a place of honor for awhile before I use them again.
I am sorry for you loss, but so proud of you for doing a good and noble thing for your dad.

My condolences. And thanks for sharing your touching story.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy

First, I'm sorry to hear of your father's passing. But...second...well done, comrade. Those will be memories you will cherish forever. Peace be to you.

You honor your Dad with this story because it shows that he raised you to be a good man. How proud that must have made him feel!
Well done Sir.

Caring for an aging parent is a grace. You will never forget the times you shared together.

My mother-in-law died from Alzheimer's.

Very sorry for your loss. Seems like several here have similar stories, myself included. Thank you very much for sharing yours.

Best wishes to you and your family,

Curly

Top Bottom