What's new

Last Shave

My dad has had dementia for a number of years, and for just over a year now I have been going over to give him a shave. My Sis tried and his response to her was, " I don't have enough blood in my body for you to keep giving me a shave." I would go over a few times a week to give him a shave. Most times I would use my RR Eco but would on occasion use grandpa's GEM or Great grandpa's Eveready. I would use a Gillette Trio for touch ups. As he got worse Dad would always love when I came over and used my Omega Boar brush with whatever soap I decided to use that day so much when his hospice bathing nurse would arrive he would not let her shave him, he would say that was my job. About 10 days ago I went over to shave Dad. He just laid in his bed while I whipped up a lather with Mama Bear's Masculine Musk soap and shaved him with Grandpa's GEM. When I was done I put some Afta on him, he just looked up at me smiled and gave me a thumbs up. Two days later Dad basically went into a coma, quit eating & drinking and "slept" all the time. This past Friday Dad passed away from the dementia. Just glad I was able to take care of my Dad for the last year and use some of our heirloom razors on him. Probably going to put the GEM and Grandpa's Scuttle in a place of honor for awhile before I use them again.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I know the feeling. I shaved my dad while he was suffering through the final stages of lymphoma. Tough work, that and the bathing which was much more physical.

Tough times, thanks for the story. You'll remember those shaves forever -- you're a good son.

My dad has had dementia for a number of years, and for just over a year now I have been going over to give him a shave. My Sis tried and his response to her was, " I don't have enough blood in my body for you to keep giving me a shave." I would go over a few times a week to give him a shave. Most times I would use my RR Eco but would on occasion use grandpa's GEM or Great grandpa's Eveready. I would use a Gillette Trio for touch ups. As he got worse Dad would always love when I came over and used my Omega Boar brush with whatever soap I decided to use that day so much when his hospice bathing nurse would arrive he would not let her shave him, he would say that was my job. About 10 days ago I went over to shave Dad. He just laid in his bed while I whipped up a lather with Mama Bear's Masculine Musk soap and shaved him with Grandpa's GEM. When I was done I put some Afta on him, he just looked up at me smiled and gave me a thumbs up. Two days later Dad basically went into a coma, quit eating & drinking and "slept" all the time. This past Friday Dad passed away from the dementia. Just glad I was able to take care of my Dad for the last year and use some of our heirloom razors on him. Probably going to put the GEM and Grandpa's Scuttle in a place of honor for awhile before I use them again.
Condolences, Thunder, and thank you very much for this intimate and intense post.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Thank you for that post, my sincere condolences to you. When the grieving is done, I hope the memories of your Father, and the times you spent together, are happy ones.

My father passed away from Alzheimer’s in 2019 , I used to shave him as well. Any type of dementia is a very cruel disease . I am very sorry for your loss..My wife and I took care of him at home and took care of him for four years .

My condolences to you. I recently lost my father as well. With all respect to you and your father, I'd suggest that you not put aside the GEM or scuttle - you'll remember your dad every time you use them.

Top Bottom