What's new

Last razor I'll ever purchase?

Have you ever said to yourself "this is so good it's the last razor I'll ever need to buy?"

• Yes, and I meant it and never did buy another.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • Yes, and I meant it, but then bought another later.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • Yes, but I knew deep inside that I was kidding myself.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • Nope...I know myself well enough to not make commitments like that!

Votes: 94 51.4%

• Total voters
My Feather SS shavette, have being shaving almost exclusively with it for years now.

Only once in a while I go back to a couple of DE’s just to revisit, like someone who talks to their exe’s just to see how they are doing🤣

The more I shave with my Parker slant the more I like it.Works with all blades close smooth shave every time.All in all considering I own 75 DE razors its one of my top 3 if not top 2.That one suprized me!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I tend to think it for some time but then I see a new blinky toy and after some time sometimes long my knees buckle.....

Do I need it noooo actually my cheapest razor a qshave futul gives me wonderful bbs shaves as long as we are mutually in sync.

Currently, I use a WCS 84S exclusively. My original's cap screw broke off at the tip. WCS replaced it very quickly. I bought a basic Van der Hagen to use until the new 84S arrived.

I’m pretty happy with my current selection.

5 SR’s (One for each of my finishers)
Ralf Aust Roundpoint in African Blackwood
Heljestrand MK31 in Ivory
Filarmonica 13
Heljestrand BK42 in Tortoisehell
Thiers Issard in Black Horn

1 DE (Sold the others when I found this one)
Stainless Steel Timeless 0.68 OC

1 SE (Just for fun)
Blackland Vector SB

I have everything that I need and want in the razor department. The collection is a manageable size and I wouldn’t want any more than this in the day-to-day rotation. If I wanted to, I could use them all in a week but I generally use a SR for a week at a time switching it up in a Monday. Lots of options but not overwhelming. Arguably it’s already a lifetime supply. I’ll never say never though. I’m still on the Wolfman waiting list and I’d be happy to let the Wolfman and Timeless fight it out for the one DE spot. I’ve also learned that prestine vintage straight razors come up very rarely. There are a few of these that I would snap up straight away if given the chance to build a set.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, i've been telling myself that ever since I started, but the ''good'' thing about some razors, especially if they are used is that you can ''always'' get your money back and in some cases if you buy them much cheaper (vintage Gillette razors from the bay for instance), you can make a small ''profit'' from them and the same goes for blades as well, which is why i'm only interested in razors and blades and I have absolutely zero interest in buying or trying new cosmetics (preshaves, aftershaves. creams, soaps etc.) and brushes and the reason for that is that i've found what works for me and that they are a huge sinkhole.

My current plans are to buy a Pearl Flexi adjustable and with any luck to get 1 or 2 more razors from trading vintage Polsilver Stainless blades on BST and at some point to get myself a shoulderless 6/8 Ralf Aust along with some synthetic stones and be done with it, but who knows what may happen tomorrow.

and brushes and the reason for that is that i've found what works for me and that they are a huge sinkhole
They certainly are and the truth is that you only need one. There’s no need for a ‘rotation’ or dry time if you use them regularly.

at some point to get myself a shoulderless 6/8 Ralf Aust along with some synthetic stones
Good call. You will love that razor and you would need another. They are high quality and excellent value for money. Consider lapping films to start. Great edges for cheap money and easy to use.

They certainly are and the truth is that you only need one. There’s no need for a ‘rotation’ or dry time if you use them regularly.

Good call. You will love that razor and you would need another. They are high quality and excellent value for money. Consider lapping films to start. Great edges for cheap money and easy to use.

I have a few straights and I use them from time to time, but the are all vintage and I really want to add a modern as well. I have lapping films and a natural Japanese super finishing stone, but i'm too afraid to use them and I might get myself a few Gold Dollars to practice on them first. It would be a shame if I damage any of my razors.

I have a few straights and I use them from time to time, but the are all vintage and I really want to add a modern as well. I have lapping films and a natural Japanese super finishing stone, but i'm too afraid to use them and I might get myself a few Gold Dollars to practice on them first. It would be a shame if I damage any of my razors.
Sounds like your all set. A high quality modern razor like the Ralf Aust has a lot of advantages. All it needs is a little touch up to get the edge to its best. You can be confident of getting a new, straight, blade without any issues. A nice blank canvas to work with.

I wouldn’t be too concerned about using the lapping films and JNat. The films are dead easy to use with lots of overlap in the grit stages. If you follow the instructions you can’t go too far wrong. It would take a lot of work on the films to do any lasting damage to a razor. Synthetic stones like the Shapton glass cut a bit quicker. Good for heavy work if you know what your doing. You do need to tread more carefully though, they strip steel pretty quick at the lower grits. Films are great for learning and occasion light work. With a nice Jnat you have everything you need for final finishing and touch ups. Great stones. Just go easy on the slurry when finishing.

I’ve honed up a few GD’s and it’s a royal PITA to get them right. They are cheap but you’ll never really look forward to using them. Not worth the effort IMO. Even the learning aspect is questionable. If you went to town on an extra hollow vintage like you would a new GD66 you would soon be sorry. Totally different animals to hone.

Last edited:
Took delivery of a Twig and a Davies Rythmic Razor last month. The Leaf is for everyday use, Twig for travel and the Rythmic is for special occasions because of its' age. I am content.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I must avoid BST at all costs! I must avoid BST at all costs! I must avoid BST at all costs! I must avoid BST at all costs! I must avoid BST at all costs! I must avoid BST at all costs! I must avoid BST at all costs! I must avoid BST at all costs! I must avoid BST at all costs! I must avoid BST at all costs! I must avoid BST at all costs! I must avoid BST at all costs! . . .

Oh yeah. 3/4 of my razors do a fantastic job with 3/4 of my blades. Unwanted facial hair is easily and comfortably removed. Thera no need to buy anything else. That said, if I find good deals on unloved vintage razors...

Twig razor, and I'm done. Already ordered a backup after just three shaves with it. I'll let shaving creams and blades drive me to distraction from now on, but this damned razor is the best I've ever used... ridiculously easy to get the angle right, no weepers, and no irritation, with an efficient shave -- and my chin HAD consistently been a minefield for weepers...

I’m “done” with my DE Razor search. I’ve found my three (Timeless Bronze TRBR38, Timeless Aluminum ALSB45, and Blackland Tradere SB).
However, I’ve never used an SE razor and I’ll admit that the Blackland Sabre and Vector haunt me...

Well... this has just arrived.

Will it be the last one? I can't say, just unpacked it.

I will be testing it over the coming weeks, with both OC and SB plates and using different blades, to determine whether this is that "Desert Island" razor.

Judging by the looks, it could be THE ONE.

Let's see...

1614868654272.png

I had told myself I wasn't buying any more razors after getting a titanium Timeless .68 and .95. However, I read so many positive reviews of the Blackland Sabre and how stiff the blade is that I tried one. Liking it very much 3 shaves in.

I guess I am too much of a newbie to answer the question,
my first real razor was a fatboy and now after 1 year I never even thought about buying another one.

Some designs spark my interest but those all seem really rare and expensive like the Rythmic or Toggle.

Time will show...

Top Bottom