What's new

Last razor I'll ever purchase?

Have you ever said to yourself "this is so good it's the last razor I'll ever need to buy?"

• Yes, and I meant it and never did buy another.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • Yes, and I meant it, but then bought another later.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • Yes, but I knew deep inside that I was kidding myself.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • Nope...I know myself well enough to not make commitments like that!

Votes: 94 51.4%

• Total voters
I have 4 DEs one of which I have never used (an English tech) which I will probably give to my nephew. My last DE shave was in November.

My last straight was a Japanese razor off the bay in August. When it arrived I decided I have more than enough straights. I must go through them and thin the herd. Some I have barely used.

I have said I'm not going to buy another razor, and so far so good... until next time.

After having RAD (and going through about 30 razors) I found my RAD-killer in 2017. In 2018 I got tempted to once more buy another razor. I bought that other razor and it was not better than my RAD-killer so I learned the lesson that there is nothing to be gained by buying more razors. Since then I have not bought any razors anymore.

I would genuinely like to find ‘the one’ in terms of razors. My issue is that I am not a massive DE fan. I prefer single edge pivots like the Broman or the Guard. The Guard is not really environmentally friendly with the disposable plastic and the plastic in the Broman’s head is not going to last forever. So both have downsides despite the great shaves I get with them. I am considering a Twig in the future - so who knows?

I voted for 2nd option...I don't need another razor since getting Rockwell 6S, but if something interesting catches my eye I sometimes buy it. For example the FOCS

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I purchased my Wolfman in 2015. I've been using it virtually every day at home (a couple of times a year I do another test of my open comb to see if I have magically grown fond of it).

I have no plans of purchasing another razor, but I make no promises. I am, after all, a member of this forum.

I've definitely said it and meant it but I've invariably succumbed to temptation.

Been in the groove with the R41 and its variants these last few weeks so maybe I'm cured...? 😉

IMHO The innovative community of razor makers we are lucky enough to currently have plus the enjoyment of trying new things as part of the hobby will keep many on this forum from ever really being done with trying new stuff.

I voted for option 4.
I like to be honest, atleast with myself.

Within the few months of proper wet/ DE shaving, I've acquired 2 SS razors and 2 Zamac razors.
Now, although I'm in the yearly GRUME, and I've got a chance to understand the shaving technique and improve my skills, I know that I'll definitely/ most likely get atleast a few more razors.

Some are finalized, only thing missing is the sane/ legal way of procuring funds for them:em3300:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have found and bought that razor, but doubtless this forum will keep other ideas spinning in my mind. Will I seize upon one, or more? TBD

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Like most of us I suspect, I went down a lot of paths at first. Start with DE, try slant, try Gem, try AC. Pretty quickly moved my focus onto slants and Gem. Then decided I hate getting bucked off and tried AC again. And again later. Found the Hawk V3SB and I think that's put a period at the end of that sentence. Found the Blackland Sabre and there's another period.

Found the ATT S2 and RR Wunderbar slants, got a vintage Fasan Double Slant, tried a load of slants and got rid of some, picked up a new batch and getting ready for another series of comparo shaves. I think I've found what works for me but it's interesting to keep looking.

I always said I'd probably do more bleeding than shaving if I used a straight -- because that's what we say about stuff we don't understand. :blushing: I decided to pick up the barber razor habit -- although I think I know how to make a sharp edge I don't find honing and stropping to be an engagingly enjoyable part of my shave routine. Yet. But I grabbed a couple of barber razors at random and started paying the tuition for that school.

I'm in the process of unloading eight razors ranging from vintage Gem to modern barber razor. The funds realized, along with a kind gift from a friend, have funded the acquisition of a Kasho Woody, my first AC barber razor. (Well, the seller is out of stock but that should resolve soon.) I enjoy the learning process and am willing to pay for a few razors while I sort out what direction I want to pursue.

But I can now look around the latherscape and see some things I've gotten over, like regular DE, and some things I'm not too engaged with, like injectors. I thought I had a DFS this morning with a barber razor and a slant for cleanup, but it settled out to an unintentional BBS. That makes me happy.

O.H.

While my current Rockwell 6S is my third DE razor, I'm done. It took a while to get here but I know when I'm done and... I'm done.

I like everything about the 6S and there's nothing about it I don't like. It's the razor I wish I had bought right from the start but by the same token I also think it's good it's the razor I sort of "grew" into over the course of several months of learning to shave with a DE blade, it and now have a better appreciation of the 6S.

But in all fairness shaving is purely utilitarian for me, meaning I don't consider shaving a hobby; so maybe that makes my stand on this an easier one to make.

...There was nothing else to do. I started to learn straight razor shaving. I have bought more straight razors though. Do they count?
1612387108858.png

"Next rabbit hole on your left."

Well, my original 90% guess is pretty close so far. We're at 12% who said they never bought another razor. The other 88% seem to be in various phases of RAD.

As for me, I bought my last razor about a year ago, an aluminum Gillette Tech, and actually gave it away to a friend without using it myself. Mostly, I use my ATT Classic (R1 head). When I travel, which isn't much in the last year, I take one of a couple of Techs or a GEM. On special occasions, I get out my Gillette Aristocrat. I haven't felt much need for another razor in a while, but like several have said, never say never.

Purchased my Timeless Ti95SB Feb 2018 and around Jun 2018 sold the remaining razors I had cause I just never picked them up anymore!! I upgraded the base plate to a DC OC/SB and sold off the SB plate I had in Jan 2019 and is the last razor purchase I've made and really feel is the last razor purchase I will ever have to make. I do however want to try a Wolfman sometime before I die though!!

Top Bottom