What's new
  • Guest
    As per our long standing policy of not permitting medical advice on the forum - all threads concerning the Coronavirus will be locked.
    For more info on the coronavirus please see the link below:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/summary.html

Last razor I'll ever purchase?

Have you ever said to yourself "this is so good it's the last razor I'll ever need to buy?"

  • Yes, and I meant it and never did buy another.

    Votes: 25 14.0%
  • Yes, and I meant it, but then bought another later.

    Votes: 32 17.9%
  • Yes, but I knew deep inside that I was kidding myself.

    Votes: 29 16.2%
  • Nope...I know myself well enough to not make commitments like that!

    Votes: 93 52.0%

  • Total voters
    179
Every now and then I see someone do a write up of their newest razor purchase, and end with a statement something like "this is the last razor I'll ever buy." Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering how many of us have ever thought or said something like that, and then later found ourselves buying yet another. Knowing this group, I'm going to guess 90%...and the other 10% are fibbing.
 
I'm in the process of doing it.Got the gamechanger .84 a few weeks ago and said that's it i'm done.There's no need to buy another razor i can get the shave that i want with this razor.Now the Lupo.72 is living rent free in my head.I'm checking when i can get it a couple of times a day.It's never going to end is it?:straight:
 
With what I have on hand I might well not purchase another but I'm certainly not going to commit to that as we seem to want whatever we can't have. If I tell myself I can't have something then it drives me crazy and I'm not happy until I buy it. Even if it's something that I don't want all that much.
 
I seem to be on an endless quest for a perfect razor, but I do not believe that there is one for all conditions and blades, etc. Different razors excel in different situations for me, but I do have 2 or 3 out of my 25 or so that are never satisfactory for me, so I should get rid of those.
 
I found the perfect razor/blade combination for my face several months back. Since then I haven’t felt even the slightest urge to consider another razor.

For me it’s the Rockwell 6S & the Feather blade. I’ve got 700 blades, so I won’t be looking at other blades anytime in the next 50 years or so.
 
A Fatip Gold Grande did it for me and yes I did buy one more. A backup Gold Grande. A single use Feather blade provides consistent, comfortable BBS shaves. No point in pursuing DE razors anymore. No point in looking for a sharper DE blade. There was nothing else to do. I started to learn straight razor shaving. I have bought more straight razors though. Do they count?


6D88DDD5-A141-49AF-B592-B604905E8975.jpeg
 
I'm still new enough to this game to still be trying razors and blades. That being said, I feel like I'm seeing end of my experimentations. I can honestly say I am done with DE razors and have plans to sell off all of mine (at some point). I am now focused on SE razors and blades. Even with these I already have a favorite daily shaver and a "weekender" to use if I have a bit of time and am going to be very particular.
 
I’ve said it three times now, but for different styles. My Ralf Aust was the last straight I bought—it’s amazing and can’t be beat.

I also said it when I bought the Razorock Mamba 70 and the OneBlade Genesis. I’ve never needed or wanted another straight, SE, or DE since I bought those.
 
You know after owning 45+ razors and used every one # of times there is a grail razor in there some where. I like variety I have concluded and will have a large rotation and I have my favorites in the bunch. :a22:
 
Timeless did it for me. Doubt I’ll ever buy another DE. I may still have a rotation with OneBlade and/or Feather AS-D2 but have used the Timeless exclusively for so long I’ve got it dialed in and don’t expect to change.
 
I'm currently happy with using two Game Changers per shave, the open comb .84 for the easy "mow everything down with maximum efficiency" WTG and easy XTG phase, and the safety bar .68 for the "other" XTG, ATG and tidy-up, which I always find a lot more challenging. I bought the .68 a lighter aftermarket handle (Windrose aluminium 84mm, the wider of their two), and that seems to have fine-tuned the .68 for me.

It's like having a 2-gear adjustable, where both your settings are locked on, without mechanical complexity.

There's no obvious contender at the moment that could beat this pairing, but I chose option 4. :001_smile
 
Top Bottom