What's new

Last minute advice before my first 5k?

HI gents,

I have lost about 45 pounds since November, and part of what I did was run. I have gotten to where I can run a 5k on my own, but tomorrow I am running an organized race.

I am sure I can finish, and I am sure that I will not be in contention.

Nothing like 0 hour questions, but any tips for a newbie?

Cheers!

Slugg

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Pace yourself especially at the beginning it's easy to run faster than your normal speed with all the adrenaline, and have fun.

Slugg,

As someone who did drop some weight by running(60 lbs) and as someone who never was a contender, just go out and run your race. It's easy, very easy to get all hyped up on raceday and let adrenaline take over. It's easy to take off faster than you'd like at the start. When I was running 5K's, 10K's, 15K's, and one Half Marathon, I found that I'd get my spot and stick to my line. Folks are going to be cutting, darting, and swerving around other runners. Just get your lane and stick with it. Also, stay away from runners with strollers. I don't know why they allow those things in a race. They are dangerous. I've seen runners with strollers stop on a dime because the baby in the stroller needs their attention. So stay away if you can. Also, I don't know your pace, but if you're fast, then keep away from walkers. They aren't as easy to identify as strollers, but the walkers are usually around halfway back at the start or further.

The leaders usually run between 5:00-6:00/mile pace, the frontrunners are usually <8:00/mile pace. And half or more of the runners will be <30:00 pace(10:00/mile)So gauge where you're at based in that. If you're >30:00 then get beyond halfway back at the start. If you're less, then get toward the front.

Remember- it's your race and it's you against you. Keep your mind on the prize- finishing. Be proud of your accomplishment and very proud you're out there doing it. There are many that aren't. I've had ongoing knee issues and I've not been allowed to run for over a year. I'll get back to it, I have some work left to do.

Be proud, you're a winner already. Run your own race and finish on your terms. Good luck and have a fantastic race!

-Oh, and get to,the event early- I got to races an hour early --hydrate it's hot out there. The bathrooms will be busy 20 minutes till race up till the gun sounds and stretch before and after.

Another tip- with all that hydration early- and the busy bathrooms- I usually brought a Solo Plastic cup with me and had it in my car. After it's use- it's disposable. You can figure it out. Good luck!

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Stay calm and carry on.
be proud for what you have already accomplished. It is monumental!!
let us know how it goes.
marty mtz

Thanks so much for the kind words, I am getting ready to depart. I will report back with results!

We are running at the Cleveland Zoo, I wonder if I can get them to let a lion out for extra motivation!

UPDATE: Well I made it, right around 33 min (I can't remember if it was 32:5x or 33:1x, but I had a blast. There was a section of about .5 miles that was steeply uphill, and while I did not walk it, I probably lost a solid 90 seconds. All in all I had fun, and will be signing up for another one in September.

Thanks again for all the advice, I appreciate it. I even had to dodge a stroller!

Last edited:
Good for you! Well done indeed. I have the bucktown 5k coming up in two weeks in Chicago, and I can't wait! I'm jealous that you are done. Keep up the running! Maybe I'll be reading about you entering a 10k some day soon!

Thanks to all for the well wishes. I finished at just over 32 minutes. I have another in October, and I have been training since the last 5k to maintain a pace that bests 30 minutes. Although, the best part of running your first race is you instantly set your personal record!

Get a bike, running blows. :tongue_sm

I did try that. As the gentleman at the bike shop said "I have never seen someone ride a bike and look so much like a newborn horse", so I went with running. I may try again now that I have lost more weight.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
http://www.ccc10k.com/

I can do a 5k without beer, but not a 10k. Best advice for this race is have plenty of small bills to buy drinks and tip bartenders. The Crescent City Classic is the original party race. Some guys lose sight of the spirit of the race, and try to win at all costs. Some guys stop at every bar along the way and toss a beer, maybe munch half a poboy, then continue racing. Some guys run til they are thirsty, and then look for a good bar. It's all good. If you are laughing at the finish, you won. And there are lots of winners. Holy Saturday. (The day before Easter) Be there or be square.

Wow. I can run. I can drink beer. I can eat a poboy. I seriously doubt I could successfully do all three of those at once as you described. My gut would go on strike in a catastrophic way.

I am intrigued, and somewhat jealous, of the idea of that race. I agree with RondeB, I think trying to combine running and anything else on that list would cause some pretty intense issues.

I have found that if I wear 70s style socks, shorts a few sizes too short, a Richard Simmons headband and a stained wife beater t-shirt that I don't have to worry about folks bumping into me during my races.

Let me know if this technique works for you...

I have found that if I wear 70s style socks, shorts a few sizes too short, a Richard Simmons headband and a stained wife beater t-shirt that I don't have to worry about folks bumping into me during my races.

Great idea, then I do not have to change clothes when I take the wife out later on!

lol
proxy.php

Late to the game here (and I totally need that top Richard's got on), but one thing I find really helpful is pacing to someone else. By about a mile in or so, I find I've settled into a pace and so has everyone else, and then I'm consistently running near the same person or couple of people. This person becomes what I call my "pace car." I try to keep up with them. I even try to pass them (which then requires finding a new pace car). It's a good way to gauge how I'm doing without having to rely solely on how I *think* I'm doing. :)

Top Bottom