What's new

LASSC Blackfern vs. MdC Fougere?

I've read, somewhere, that LASSC's Blackfern soap is a dead-ringer for MdC Fougere. Can anyone here confirm or deny the similarity?

I'm not really sure what EOs are in MdC's Fougere, but the description of Blackfern doesn't sound much like what I recall MdC smelling like.

I would have to disagree with this one. Have only smelled MDC Fougere and not lathered it, so mabe the scent will morph once lathered, but the Blackfern is a more darker exotic fougere, while the MDC is more of a fresh scent to my nose. Hopefully someone with more experience with these two soaps will chime in.

MdC Fougere does not morph once lathered. It smells exactly as it does in the container with the exception that once lathered the scent is stronger, at least to my nose. I find MdC Fougere to smell very authentic, meaning natural and not synthetic. It's not the holy grail of shave soaps that it is sometimes purported to be but it is a fantastic one just the same.

Topanga Fougere smells horrible, to my nose. Nothing at all like the heavenly MdC Fougere. To be fair, there aren't very many fougeres that I actually like. MdC's Fougere seems to be the only one that I enjoy.

Topanga and MdC are both of the green, herbaceous Fougere class, very different from the more refined Fougeres like Penhaligons English Fern, or Trumper Wild Fern. I'll take MdC's over LASS as well, personally.

I ended up placing yet another order for soap samples, from Maggard. I picked up a sample of Blackfern, as well as Vert Noir, and a couple of other things. :)

Both samples have a rather mild scent, from the container. My experience with other LASSC soaps tells me that the scent will get stronger when I lather up the soaps, so I'm going to reserve judgment until then. At the moment, neither soap is anywhere near MdC's Fougere, although I find the Vert Noir to be very intriguing in its own right.

I love the charcoal grey color of these soaps! It's unusual, and exciting.

I've been shaving with Vert Noir, for the past few days, and I really like the scent! As the description points out, it is a very "green" scent, but it smells distinctly of violets, as well. I haven't smelled another soap like this one, but I suppose that superlathering GFT's violet cream with a fougere soap would get you somewhere in the ballpark. I love how elegant and classy it is!

Top Bottom