What's new

L'Artisan Samples

My wife just got home from some shopping, and she picked up a couple of L'Artisan scents for herself:

La Chasse Aux Papillons: Very light, very fresh, a wonderful floral evocative of springtime greenery.

Fleurs de Liane: Again, very light, a sense of fresh cut grass and sunlight on the skin, an amazing scent.

I got some samples out of the day, pretty much all of which can be used by women and men it would seem. No strong old English Leather scents here:

Passage d'Enfer: Started out with the dread fecal note, and is now maturing into a very distinct scent of incense, and sweet. I'd have to give this one a few more test runs before committing to a bottle. Something on the tail end of it just catches in my throat, but it certainly is unique.

Timbuktu: Woody and spicy, more masculine than any of the other L'Artisan offerings I've experienced to date. Pleasant but not one that impresses me as the Chasse Aux Papillons and Fleurs de Liane do.

Vanilla: A strong scent of vanilla, and sweet too. Its developing into the surprising front runner of the group. I would, therefore, really like to try L'Artisan's Havana Vanilla, which must have some deep tobacco notes to compliment the vanilla. That must be a great scent.

Voleur de Roses: A sharp and piquant scent of rose, very sharp in fact, to the degree that the tenacity of this one is cutting, like nails made of roses being dragged across a chalkboard. Not one I would buy, but if you dig roses, this might be a frag that is less cloying than say Hammam Bouquet, which is a bit thick and heady for my tastes.

Overall, very interesting scents. I have had the occasion to use L'Artisan before, and I enjoy them very much. Quality offerings all.

Best,

Chris

L'Artisan is a great perfumer, but so far nothing they've made has broken through for me.

One of the knocks on them by some people is that many of their scents are "weak and watery." I can see that. I'm kind of a longevity freak. I find much of their stuff in the inordinately well designed very French realm of Guerlain, but without as much oomph.

They do make some very nice scents, but I find most too unisex. I'm not knocking anybody who loves any of their scents. It is very refined well designed fragrance art. But they have yet to break through for me.

Of what I've tried, they would only ever be a very singular, special kind of wearings. Nothing I would consider as any kind of daily scent, or good for work.

Voleur de Roses, Al Oud, Timbuktu, Havana Vanille, Mechant Loup can certainly be worn by men, and some might be found quite enchanting by women for sure. Dzing is a weird, weird bird that fans of fragrance should at least sniff. The scent of the "circus?"

Top Bottom